Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have got offers from Warwick and Durham to study politics undergrad there. Both are really good universities and have quite flexible course, so I am having hard time deciding which one should I put as my first choice. I would like to ask for some suggestion, teaching-quality wise for example.

I am also interested in Sussex because I apply for politics with IR there, but the reputation, it seems, is not at the same level as the first 2 I mention.

Thank you in advance.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    All three are brilliant universities. Warwick is probably considered the strongest for politics (and has pretty good graduate employment) but honestly, they are all excellent choices. Have a look at the key information sets for each (http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/find-o...nformation-set), visit them if you can, and decide on the basis of which you can see yourself being happy at. Congratulations on your offers!

ReputationRep:
    You're right, Sussex is not in the same league as Warwick and Durham, and you can rule it out.

Between Warwick and Durham there is no significant difference regarding employers, prestige, difficulty etc.

Instead you should consider the course content, andd then the universities themselves - Durham and Warwick are in completely different locations. Durham is collegiate, Warwick is campus-based. Durham is in the north and probably has cheaper living costs, whereas Warwick is in the south. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!

I found the course at both universities interesting. Warwick is nearer to London, while Durham could be too cold for me. On Unistates site, it seems that Durham focuses on exam a lot in the first and second years. Is it going to make a lot different?
    Perhaps I should post this question in that particular uni forum though.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the course descriptions for each. Each course will be very different. Look at the detailed unit/module/options description (not just the one line titles) and for all 3 years of the course. Which would you choose - and why? Also check what extras are included for each course - optional language courses or courses from other Depts, placement or a Year Abroad etc etc.

Dont get hung up on Uni Stats or League Tables - they wont tell you if you will enjoy that course or if you will get a job at the end of it.

PS. Sussex has a very good reputation for all Social Sciences and IR in particular so dont 'rule it out'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Look at the course descriptions for each. Each course will be very different. Look at the detailed unit/module/options description (not just the one line titles) and for all 3 years of the course. Which would you choose - and why? Also check what extras are included for each course - optional language courses or courses from other Depts, placement or a Year Abroad etc etc.

Dont get hung up on Uni Stats or League Tables - they wont tell you if you will enjoy that course or if you will get a job at the end of it.

PS. Sussex has a very good reputation for all Social Sciences and IR in particular so dont 'rule it out'.
    Thank you for replying.

I had a look at module description from both unis. Both offer really nice interesting modules (Durham has a bit more modules though). The main difference is that Durham has a range of modules about the Middle East, while Warwick has only one in the third year. I kinda like Warwick a bit more, but can't help wonder whether it is the right choice.

Regarding language, I think I will choose non-credit modules just in case I fails miserably.

Also, Durham is quite far from London. That's not really convenient when travelling from Heathrow. (I am an international student)

I am going to put Sussex as insurance choice any way since its offer is lower than my other choices. Should be a nice place to go if I miss the firm place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eak129)
    Thank you for replying.

I had a look at module description from both unis. Both offer really nice interesting modules (Durham has a bit more modules though). The main difference is that Durham has a range of modules about the Middle East, while Warwick has only one in the third year. I kinda like Warwick a bit more, but can't help wonder whether it is the right choice.

Regarding language, I think I will choose non-credit modules just in case I fails miserably.

Also, Durham is quite far from London. That's not really convenient when travelling from Heathrow. (I am an international student)

I am going to put Sussex as insurance choice any way since its offer is lower than my other choices. Should be a nice place to go if I miss the firm place.
    Durham is far from London but I reckon the journey is probably easier than getting yourself to some fields outside Coventry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.