Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I was wondering whether my application (not considering anything other than grades) would be able to make a competitive application to LSE for maths w/economics.

My gcse's were fairly poor but they were from a very bad high school:
    A*A*A*A*ABBBB

My a levels are a lot stronger:
    4A*'s (Chemistry, physics, maths and further maths)

So will I be able to make a competitive application to LSE or should i leave it?
    (This post is only considering the strengths of my grades, I am well aware that there is more to be taken into account by the admissions team).

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Those grades are perfectly fine for LSE or any uni for that matter. A-Levels are more important, and you have 4A*s, so it would be very silly for them to discount you because you have those GCSE grades (which are really not bad anyway, and I know some Universities take into account how good your school is in relation to grades).

Definitely apply, you are absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, whilst you have too many Bs in my opinion, the A Levels more than make up for it. If they ask for A*AA then you will almost definitely get in (providing PS and Interview goes well!) Well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Wing)
    Hey guys I was wondering whether my application (not considering anything other than grades) would be able to make a competitive application to LSE for maths w/economics.

A*A*A*A*ABBBB

So will I be able to make a competitive application to LSE or should i leave it?
    (This post is only considering the strengths of my grades, I am well aware that there is more to be taken into account by the admissions team).

Thanks a lot!
    Are they predicted or achieved?

ReputationRep:
    You can't get 4A* at AS unless you have already achieved them and you are on a gap year, in which case you should have already applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    You can't get 4A* at AS unless you have already achieved them and you are on a gap year, in which case you should have already applied?
    at A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    Taking off a year to work.

ReputationRep:
    Taking off a year to work.
    wait surely you're taking two years off then? if they are already achieved then usually you'd be at university at the moment, but if you're considering to reapply, you'd have to for 2014 entry... you are aware of this yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TPJY)
    wait surely you're taking two years off then? if they are already achieved then usually you'd be at university at the moment, but if you're considering to reapply, you'd have to for 2014 entry... you are aware of this yes?
    I applied to medicine first time round, didn't go well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

A*A*A*A*ABBBB

Thanks a lot!
    Id go for it. Your gcse grades are quite good, so i wouldnt worry too much about them. Your a-level grades are more important than gcse's, anyway. Your a-level grades are really good. You will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to medicine first time round, didn't go well.
    i see
    you grades seem great and i'd definitely go for it, what worries me is you say you're only taking a year out but it seems to that you're in fact taking two?

ReputationRep:
    Your A-level grades are superb, and if you have a good personal statement and a useful gap year then you should be able to make some competitive applications to top universities.

You never know with LSE, as they're very much GCSE snobs (as a result of them not interviewing). You might want to also apply to Cambridge, who will be much more lenient about your GCSEs, and take contextual information (such as the quality of your school) heavily into account.

ReputationRep:

A*A*A*A*ABBBB

Thanks a lot!
    I got A*A*A*A*AAABBB ...similar to yours and I want to apply to Durham

ReputationRep:
    Worked out well for me and you seem to be on a slightly better standing. Check my profile for more details...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am an offer holder from lse and I got an offer fairly soon for lse standards, with grades of 11a* and 5a at AS. From what I know, most of my friends who got offers to do things like economics and law had at least 9a* at GCSE and all a at AS. Maths+economics+law are three of the most competitive courses with success rate dipping well bellow 10%, and I would say your chances are slim (lse is very picky about GCSEs). However if you really want to go to lse, maybe you could apply to a less competitive course that shares some modules with maths and economics?

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I recieved an offer for econ with 5A*s 6As 2Bs so this whole 'anything less than 8 is binned' isn't always true.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it isn't 100% definitely true but when you are competing with 15+ people for every place, some of whom will have 8+a* and brilliant personal statements, your chances are going to be slim because there is little to set you apart from others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    4 A*'s on A-levels... not too bad?

ReputationRep:
    If those are weak GCSEs then mine are bloody terrible :|

ReputationRep:
    lol @ people thinking B grades are poor.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.