Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing, or has done, or knows anything about the way the Industry Year is organised at imperial, and what sort of placements are available. If I go here I will be studying Biology and wanted to know if there are placement angled toward the conservation/environment side of things.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    I'm currently a final year life sciences student at Imperial and qutie a few of my friends are on (finishing!) their placement years at the moment (from both biochem and biology =]) so hopefully I can be of help!

As far as I know, you'll have to organise your placement yourself, though you'll receive guidance and support from the various staff (esp your personal tutor and the industry/placement coordinator, who's currently Dr E. Cota Segura).
    What happens is you'll start thinking about your placements around November in your second year, have a talk from the coordinator, careers advisor staff and etc in a talk in about a few months' time.They'll also provide you with list of places if you can't find any and the undergrad office often email all industry placement students with any potential placements they know of as well.

Once you've found one you want, you go through the various processes (applications, tests (if any)) and your personal tutor and/or coordinator will write you your references and etc.

You may get interviewed and if you get offered a place, jsut go through the confirmation and paper work process like a normal internship and voila, you're sorted!

As for placements relating to conservation/environment, I think there are a few out there, not sure about actual links Imperial has though. Though I do know the biologists have a competitive placement/trip after second year in Uganda to do with biodiversity/environment.

But like I said, most of the organisation is up to yourself and there's almost no limit to where you do your placement! =]

Hope this kind of helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.