Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm attending University in September at Newport and i'm seeking advice on student finance.

I've submitted my application and evidence last week but looking to see if i'd be considered self supporting. I live with parents but have supported myself for the last 3 Years financially.

Year 2010-2011 I earned approx - £6500
    Year 2011-2012 I earned approx - £14300
    Year 2012-2013 I earned approx - £14300.

Now i've provided P60S and pay slips for March 2011,2012,2013 to show this income however i'm concerned about my pay in 2010-2011 as it falls under the £7500 annual amount. I am unable to find on student finance wales any mention of this amount but have read throughout the forums that you have to earn over this annually to be considered independent. I'm just wondering whether i'd be applicable as i didn't know if they take an average or if its done on a year by year basis!

I seem to get varied opinions by people i speak with on the phone!

Thank in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for bumping this thread, but I too am in the same situation. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmilesacoustic)
    Hello everyone,

I'm attending University in September at Newport and i'm seeking advice on student finance.

I've submitted my application and evidence last week but looking to see if i'd be considered self supporting. I live with parents but have supported myself for the last 3 Years financially.

Year 2010-2011 I earned approx - £6500
    Year 2011-2012 I earned approx - £14300
    Year 2012-2013 I earned approx - £14300.

Now i've provided P60S and pay slips for March 2011,2012,2013 to show this income however i'm concerned about my pay in 2010-2011 as it falls under the £7500 annual amount. I am unable to find on student finance wales any mention of this amount but have read throughout the forums that you have to earn over this annually to be considered independent. I'm just wondering whether i'd be applicable as i didn't know if they take an average or if its done on a year by year basis!

I seem to get varied opinions by people i speak with on the phone!

Thank in advance!
    (Original post by Lily502)
    Apologies for bumping this thread, but I too am in the same situation. Any advice?
    The minimum yearly amount is a guide from what I've been told by student finance. For example, I was told over £5000 from student finance in Swansea. I wish they would stick to one amount. You may be considered independent, student finance can use their discretion in cases like this, but you won't know for sure until you get written confirmation. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.