Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Being the small course it is I couldn't find a philosophy forum for Sheffield University so here it is.
    I firmed my offer yesterday after the open day and wanted to share my excitement with any other budding philosophers.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely, I think it's amazing that we can choose what modules to take and build up the course the way we want to

If they don't make relevant changes to the courses they offer, which ones are you most likely to pick?

ReputationRep:
    As do I - York University suggested that it was better to have more structure and compulsory modules to the course and I agreed to a certain extent, but knowing the amount of support and guidance that is available to us has reassured me.
    The modules I'm interested in are Knowledge, Justification and Doubt, Matters of Life and Death, the Earliest Greek Philosophers, Mind, Brain and Personal Identity and Philosophy of Religion. Pretty much everything is fascinating as far as I'm concerned!

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also into Knowledge, Justification and Doubt; Matters of Life and Death; Mind, Brain and Personal Identity, and I'll surely take, if available, Self and Society; Elementary Logic; Reason and Argument.

However, I don't plan taking any modules related to the history of philosophy because it's what I've been studying at school in the last three years, but I'll probably take some extra modules from the Psychology or History department

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm a Politics & Philosophy firmer (I hope I still count :P)! Nice to find some other people hoping to start the course

My course choices are much more limited than you guys because of my requirements for politics but a few of the modules that have piqued my interest so far are: Self & Society, Reason and Argument, The History of Ethics, Political Philosophy (I bet you're shocked), Metaphysics, Pragmatism and Understanding Moral Obligation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerenaRoe)
    I'm also into Knowledge, Justification and Doubt; Matters of Life and Death; Mind, Brain and Personal Identity, and I'll surely take, if available, Self and Society; Elementary Logic; Reason and Argument.

However, I don't plan taking any modules related to the history of philosophy because it's what I've been studying at school in the last three years, but I'll probably take some extra modules from the Psychology or History department
    You're lucky to have studied philosophy for such a long time! I'm considering taking modules from ancient history and linguistics - if those departments even exist...

What made you choose the Sheffield philosophy course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dysteleology)
    Hey there, I'm a Politics & Philosophy firmer (I hope I still count :P)! Nice to find some other people hoping to start the course

My course choices are much more limited than you guys because of my requirements for politics but a few of the modules that have piqued my interest so far are: Self & Society, Reason and Argument, The History of Ethics, Political Philosophy (I bet you're shocked), Metaphysics, Pragmatism and Understanding Moral Obligation.
    Of course you count! I think there are only 120 philosophy places at Sheffield, including single and joint honours, so the more the merrier when it's comes to the discussion!
    Are you studying Religious Studies or Philosophy and Ethics A Level currently? And is the joint honours course equally split between philosophy and politics? They seem like a good combination to me - but that's the beauty of philosophy. It's applicable to all areas of life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahenderson)
    You're lucky to have studied philosophy for such a long time! I'm considering taking modules from ancient history and linguistics - if those departments even exist...

What made you choose the Sheffield philosophy course?
    I'm pretty sure the linguistics department exists, and also there should be courses in ancient history.

I chose to study philosophy at Sheffield because it's a great uni, I liked the flexibility of the degree structure and the breadth of the topics covered in the modules.
    Furthermore, the fact that analytic philosophy and continental philosophy meet in this course was a big pro, because I seriously don't see how some unis can completely exclude one of the two, I mean, you end up choosing only one school in the end, but at least you've studied both and you're totally aware of the orientation you're picking.
    Last, "the philosophy in the city" project fascinates me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahenderson)
    Of course you count! I think there are only 120 philosophy places at Sheffield, including single and joint honours, so the more the merrier when it's comes to the discussion!
    Are you studying Religious Studies or Philosophy and Ethics A Level currently? And is the joint honours course equally split between philosophy and politics? They seem like a good combination to me - but that's the beauty of philosophy. It's applicable to all areas of life!
    Wow, only 120? I knew that philosophy departments are notorious for being small but I didn't realise we were that few in number!

I'm studying the AQA Philosophy A Level; our course does have modules that would seem appropriate for RS such as "The idea of God" but my college doesn't teach those as it also runs a separate RS course. How about you?

Yeah, it's a 50/50 split! The great thing about philosophy at Sheffield is that because nothing is compulsory, it means I still get to do modules I enjoy in spite of being a joint honours student :P politics, on the other hand...

Haha yeah, it's difficult to find a subject combination where philosophy would not complement the other half!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dysteleology)
    Wow, only 120? I knew that philosophy departments are notorious for being small but I didn't realise we were that few in number!

I'm studying the AQA Philosophy A Level; our course does have modules that would seem appropriate for RS such as "The idea of God" but my college doesn't teach those as it also runs a separate RS course. How about you?

Yeah, it's a 50/50 split! The great thing about philosophy at Sheffield is that because nothing is compulsory, it means I still get to do modules I enjoy in spite of being a joint honours student :P politics, on the other hand...

Haha yeah, it's difficult to find a subject combination where philosophy would not complement the other half!
    I'm planning on firming Sheffield for politics and philosophy for 2014 entry and was wondering how you are finding it? Is the workload a lot more than if you were doing just one of the subjects and do you prefer politics over philosophy or vice versa?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.