Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad I don't want to get married EVER? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22,i like to do my own thing and i like living alone than with someone. I don't want to marry. Single life has been good to me, and I don't feel like I need love to succeed in life.

Girls my age can't wait for their wedding day and actually are already planning it, but me the idea of marriage cringes me back and I just don't see or want to see myself getting married! I don't like looking at wedding dresses, I don't go to weddings I hate them! Probably stems from my parents unhappy loveless marriage.

Is it bad to not get married??

But I probably will end up getting married one day due to social and religious pressure not out of choice!!!

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. Different people want different things, there's nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiiiii)
    I'm 22,i like to do my own thing and i like living alone than with someone. I don't want to marry nor have kids. Single life has been good to me, and I don't feel like I need love to succeed in life.

But I probably will end up getting married on day due to social and religious pressure not out of choice!!!
    I don't see anything bad with not getting married. I just think it's a bit too early for you to make such predictions as you are only 22. You may change your perceptions over the time when you fully mature. Otherwise, I don't see a big problem. These are no longer the days when all women are expected is to get married and stay home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audre)
    I don't see anything bad with not getting married. I just think it's a bit too early for you to make such predictions as you are only 22. You may change your perceptions over the time when you fully mature. Otherwise, I don't see a big problem. These are no longer the days when all women are expected is to get married and stay home.
    In my culture , there is

People are already asking why aren't you married yet

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22,i like to do my own thing and i like living alone than with someone. I don't want to marry. Single life has been good to me, and I don't feel like I need love to succeed in life.

Girls my age can't wait for their wedding day and actually are already planning it, but me the idea of marriage cringes me back and I just don't see or want to see myself getting married! I don't like looking at wedding dresses, I don't go to weddings I hate them! Probably stems from my parents unhappy loveless marriage.

But I probably will end up getting married one day due to social and religious pressure not out of choice!!!
    You sound exactly like me. My friend actually just got engaged at the tender age of 18, and she's more excited about the actual wedding than the thought of being with her husband for the rest of her life.
    When someone mentions marriage I feel indifferent. I don't feel any excitement whatsoever, and I don't want kids either. But according to my religious family, marriage is essential in life, which is infuriating, because I don't want to get married until later on in life, when I'm ready.

ReputationRep:
    How is it bad when it's your life?

ReputationRep:
    No.

maybe your so anti marriage if people are all ready asking why your not married its as if they are trying to force you to do it and I think we would all feel the same if we felt obliged and expected to get married not because we wanted too

ReputationRep:
    It's fine not to want to get married, marriage is entirely optional. It is possible you may change your mind when you fall in love with someone, but then again you might not. Either is fine, just don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm exactly the same
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nah its not a bad thing at all me and my boyfriend have decided if civil partnerships come out in Scotland for straight couples (there seems to be a good chance) then we will opt for that when we are about 25-30 which isn't too long away but if they don't get legalised, we will just get married when we are about 50 so we have legal rights to each others money, funeral, health care etc but we really would rather than partnership more because marriage doesn't really seem up our street

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is just a lot of hassle sometimes. My sister lives with a guy and they aren't married, they been living together for about maybe 7 years or even more.

What's good about that is:

You don't need to pay money for lawyers to get divorced
    Children do not suffer the fact that parents are divorcing
    You don't need to fight over who gets what
    You avoid all that hassle

Marriage is just a status on a sheet of paper. True love doesn't need to be confirmed on the paper. If you really love someone, you don't need to prove that by marriage. Marriage is more of a thing when you are expecting a child and you want the child to be born in a family or who are scared what people might think of when a child is born not in a marriage.

I don't want to get married as well. I don't need that fancy sheet of paper saying that X and Y are now married

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    You sound exactly like me. My friend actually just got engaged at the tender age of 18, and she's more excited about the actual wedding than the thought of being with her husband for the rest of her life.
    When someone mentions marriage I feel indifferent. I don't feel any excitement whatsoever, and I don't want kids either. But according to my religious family, marriage is essential in life, which is infuriating, because I don't want to get married until later on in life, when I'm ready.
    I got a bit sucked into that, when I took a step back and thought 'do I want to spend the rest of my life with this guy?' the answer was a huge no and we split! I love weddings but right now if my boyfriend asked me to marry him I'd freak.

Ultimately some people choose to get married, some don't, some don't plan to then change their mind, some want to then never meet 'The One'. Everyone is different and if anyone has the cheek to judge you for not wanting to marry then they clearly have too much time on their hands.

ReputationRep:
    In my culture , there is

Oh I see. I am sorry to hear that. I, of course, don't know your situation, but maybe you could try mentioning this to your parents and see what they think. Maybe over the time they would accept your thoughts on the matter? I understand it must be very difficult for you, but if you are willing to change things, everything is in your hands.

Also, if you live in the UK, remember there are always people who share your views and you can become friends with them. It is always good to have someone supporting you.

ReputationRep:

if you were up for a relationship, youd probably be perfect for me
    i agree with your post

ReputationRep:
    In my culture , there is

You need to put your foot down if you don't want them to force you into something, it's none of their business to ask such questions.

ReputationRep:
    In my culture , there is

Christ, at 22? If they saw my siblings, they'd be having a down right heart attack.

My opinion on relationships in general vary quite alot. But if you don't see a reason for getting married, or if it doesn't fit in with your life goals, why would you want to do it? Don't get bullied into it by other people.

ReputationRep:
    **** no, it's sensible. I mean, what does it achieve? Say you were to meet someone you got along with enough to live with, and you either love and trust them or you don't. Regardless of this, what good does it do to then stand in a church or whatever, make a few heartfelt but inconsequential utterances put a metal hoop on each other's finger and sign a legally binding contract? You then get to go about your life as before, only now if the relationship turns sour it's harder to just be honest about it and end it quickly and cleanly, and it might cost you a fortune. There's no reason to get the government involved in your love life, it's just an imaginary ceremony that people do because everyone else is doing it, and apart from tax breaks it doesn't improve your life. The only other motivation I could see is for someone trying to tie their partner down in case they try and leave, but it shouldn't be an effort to keep your partner with you, they should do it because they want to or it's not worth saving anyway.

ReputationRep:

I think you'd live a far happier life if you began thinking for yourself - like with your opinions towards marriage.

Do whatever the PHUCK you wanna do!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not at all I think it's quite overrated really, if you want to get married fine if you don't then that's fine as well The main thing is to be happy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.