Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a large income and a good amount of savings, what causes could I donate too? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Although I am very young, I've had the rather good fortune to be quite successful (although I work hard) and currently have a well paid job working alternately in the UK and Canada. I also have other freelance jobs that I do that do well.

Since I'm not one to lead a too posh life (Don't have Porsches etc, I have a simple Toyota Auris), I'd like to make some donations to good causes and help people in need.

What causes and charities would be good options to donate too?

ReputationRep:
    Considering your track record I would say anything related to car safety. So maybe Brake

ReputationRep:
    http://www.brake.org.uk/

Road Safety charity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)
    Although I am very young, I've had the rather good fortune to be quite successful (although I work hard) and currently have a well paid job working alternately in the UK and Canada. I also have other freelance jobs that I do that do well.

Since I'm not one to lead a too posh life (Don't have Porches etc, I have a simple Toyota Auris), I'd like to make some donations to good causes and help people in need.

you would be surprised how cheap it is to have a porch installed these days:

http://www.quotesonwindows.co.uk/?attachment_id=85

ReputationRep:
    http://www.pcrf.org.uk/index.php Pancreatic cancer research. There has been no progress in 40 years - only 3% survive for 5 or more years.
    Whilst general Cancer Research UK is a good charity I think most of their donations go towards breast cancer which currently has one of the highest survival rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirloom)
    Considering your track record I would say anything related to car safety. So maybe Brake
    (Original post by xxchloexo)
    http://www.brake.org.uk/

Road Safety charity.
    Very funny, and I'm not wasting money on stuff that will help no one.

I'd donate to something that does something more helpful and is more active, like education books etc for those who can't afford it and animal rescue.

ReputationRep:
    Not you again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirloom)
    I wish I could rep the same post more than once.

ReputationRep:
    Very funny, and I'm not wasting money on stuff that will help no one.

I'd donate to something that does something more helpful and is more active, like education books etc for those who can't afford it and animal rescue.
    I think these charites do actually help people?! How would you feel if your sister or another relative/someone you love was hit by a car, which could have been easily avoided if the driver was paying attention, had a licence, wasn't on their phone, wasn't speeding, wasn't drink driving? These charites are there to stop acidents happening and campain for safer roads, there are 100,000s of people injured a year due to traffic incidents, so how you can say these charites dont help people is beyond me!

In 2007 (the latest year for which statistics are available) 2,946 people were killed on Britain's roads.
    For every death, ten times as many people suffer serious injury. A further 27,774 people were seriously injured in road crashes in 2007.
    That's 77 people every day suffering injuries including brain damage, paralysis, loss of limbs, severe burning or facial disfigurement - injuries that change lives forever. Another 217,060 people in 2007 sustained minor injuries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I wish I could rep the same post more than once.
    So do i!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxchloexo)
    I think these charites do actually help people?! How would you feel if your sister or another relative/someone you love was hit by a car, which could have been easily avoided if the driver was paying attention, had a licence, wasn't on their phone, wasn't speeding, wasn't drink driving? These charites are there to stop acidents happening and campain for safer roads, there are 100,000s of people injured a year due to traffic incidents, so how you can say these charites dont help people is beyond me!

In 2007 (the latest year for which statistics are available) 2,946 people were killed on Britain's roads.
    For every death, ten times as many people suffer serious injury. A further 27,774 people were seriously injured in road crashes in 2007.
    That's 77 people every day suffering injuries including brain damage, paralysis, loss of limbs, severe burning or facial disfigurement - injuries that change lives forever. Another 217,060 people in 2007 sustained minor injuries
    I get your point, but everyone is educated about drunk driving etc. Their are already so many campaigns about it. Its just that some people drink drive as they just don't care, not that they don't know its unsafe.

ReputationRep:
    I get your point, but everyone is educated about drunk driving etc. Their are already so many campaigns about it. Its just that some people drink drive as they just don't care, not that they don't know its unsafe.
    Just the same way we are educated about speeding, but some people still do it- 67mph in a 40mph zone, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Just the same way we are educated about speeding, but some people still do it- 67mph in a 40mph zone, for example.
    Speeding is a very common thing and not everyone notices their speed increasing sometimes and they could do it unknowingly.

ReputationRep:
    so, you paid off your sisters speeding ticket with that money yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    so, you paid off your sisters speeding ticket with that money yet?
    She never got any ticket.

ReputationRep:
    My car fund.

ReputationRep:
    Speeding is a very common thing and not everyone notices their speed increasing sometimes and they could do it unknowingly.
    Well if you are cruising at 40mph, then you'd be in 4th gear. I'm sure you would notice, by the sound of the engine and the speed everything is going past the window, that you've 'accidentally' got up to nearly 70mph...

ReputationRep:
    The Fabian Society, a micro donation to a macro change.
    http://www.fabians.org.uk/members/donate/

ReputationRep:

A charity I support is Practical Action. They are focused on developing new technology for third world countries. By 'technology', they don't mean laptops and Xboxes but new inventions that help them to meet their needs.

Here's some examples:

http://practicalaction.org/floating-gardens

ReputationRep:
    Personally, the charities I support are the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and the Teenage Cancer Trust. Both for reasons very close to my heart. I used to have a monthly direct debit to CFT but just can't afford to do that anymore, so instead I try to organise fundraisers and give money myself to sponsor the people I get involved, and the occasional personal donation if I have a good payday. It actually raises more than I could ever donate, so it's for the best really! I would do pretty much anything to find a cure for CF and for cancer, so to be honest any money to either of those would get instant approval from me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.