The Student Room Group

Can you get fired for not doing overtime?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chocolatesoup
I dont have just one boss, I hope it doesnt sound confusing but its like there are about 8-10 team leaders, and each shift therell be either 2 or 3 of them on, so each weekend itll be different ones, so if I were to tell them, I couldnt just tell one, Id have to tell them all, and theyd most likely forget anyway! And being honest I wouldnt feel comfortable telling them anything personal, especially about my mums mental illness, because they are very gossipy and bitchy, and this is the truth. The room we sign in in is very small and they will sit and talk about members of staff despite the fact that anyone of us coming in to sign in and get our stuff can hear them. Theyll also give people dirty looks behind their back etc. I try not to pay attention to any of this and dont care if theyre talking about me, because theyre just my bosses, their opinion is of no concern to me, but if I told them my mum is unwell i really do not think it would be something which would be dealt with professionally, and this isnt an exaggeration or anything. I remember one time I came into work they all openly started talking about my weight in front of other members of staff also, saying I was too skinny and offering me food saying I needed to beef up.. one member of staff stood there in shock but it didnt bother me. Also if I did tell them Id feel like theyd constantly ask about my situation when id much rather keep my private life private yknow? like once my mum phoned up the ward I work in and spoke to one of the nurses and it was really embarrassing and the nurse asked about my mum so I basically had to tell her my situation. After that she'd always ask but it didnt seem like she was concerned or worried about me, more like "I want the gossip" :/

I'd understand if you didn't want to tell anyone at all, but surely there is one 'big boss' you can tell who can relay it? Also emphasise that its a personal problem and ask them to remind the supervisors of that and that it should not be openly discussed etc. I guess you don't want to get anyone in trouble but if you just mention that you've overheard things and felt uncomfortable before without mentioning specific names would hopefully get it to stop. Gossiping about issues like this could probably come under some sort of gross misconduct and I'm sure the higher ups would take it very seriously.
Reply 21
I agree with Callum9999. Either take one of these bosses aside, or speak to their manager. Tell them that you are unable to do overtime and explain why. Tell them that it is stressing you out that you are asked every week whether you can, and their reaction when you say no, and ask if they would please stop. There's no reason why you shouldn't be entitled just to put a stop to this.
Original post by callum9999
I'd understand if you didn't want to tell anyone at all, but surely there is one 'big boss' you can tell who can relay it? Also emphasise that its a personal problem and ask them to remind the supervisors of that and that it should not be openly discussed etc. I guess you don't want to get anyone in trouble but if you just mention that you've overheard things and felt uncomfortable before without mentioning specific names would hopefully get it to stop. Gossiping about issues like this could probably come under some sort of gross misconduct and I'm sure the higher ups would take it very seriously.

Theyre only in during the week and Id have to come in randomly in the hope that theyd be there :/ also if i did this then my team leaders would think I was lying about not being able to come in during the week aha! Its weird though cos one of the bosses is actually related to a guy who works with my dad and was there when he had his accident, so she knows about it, but obviously shes not going to have said anything to the team leaders about it. But im sure if I did manage to speak to her she'd understand, but even if she did speak to the team leaders its not like she can change their personalities or their general attitude. It bothers a lot of people but i think its just one of those things you have to deal with. I had a bad experience in a previous job where my supervisor discriminated against me in a ridiculous scenario which resulted in me quitting, so i think I just feel a bit intimidated and put off by managers yknow? :/
Reply 23
Unfortunately this is just what workplaces are like, their main concern is work, not your personal life, its up to you to manage it and it sounds like you are. As long as you're working according to your contract they cant do anything
Original post by Crumpet1
I agree with Callum9999. Either take one of these bosses aside, or speak to their manager. Tell them that you are unable to do overtime and explain why. Tell them that it is stressing you out that you are asked every week whether you can, and their reaction when you say no, and ask if they would please stop. There's no reason why you shouldn't be entitled just to put a stop to this.

I would, but Im a really shy and quiet person so I dont think I have the balls nor confidence to do this :tongue: which is probably partly the problem. I cant stand up for myself and I get really anxious around them because they intimidate me. It is stressing me out although it might not seem like a big deal, but its the fact that I cant just say no and walk away, they always ask questions and want to know why instead of just taking no for an answer and leaving it, so its like every weekend I have to prepare myself to say no, im at uni, i dont get any time off, its rubbish, heh. or instead of asking me when Im right there theyll ignore me when Ive came in and wait until ive walked out the door to shout at me to come back and then ask me.. so I have to turn around and explain.
Reply 25
I would, but Im a really shy and quiet person so I dont think I have the balls nor confidence to do this :tongue: which is probably partly the problem. I cant stand up for myself and I get really anxious around them because they intimidate me. It is stressing me out although it might not seem like a big deal, but its the fact that I cant just say no and walk away, they always ask questions and want to know why instead of just taking no for an answer and leaving it, so its like every weekend I have to prepare myself to say no, im at uni, i dont get any time off, its rubbish, heh. or instead of asking me when Im right there theyll ignore me when Ive came in and wait until ive walked out the door to shout at me to come back and then ask me.. so I have to turn around and explain.

From that description, it sounds to me as though they know this upsets you, and they're doing it to be annoying. Even though you're shy and quiet, can you speak to somebody else who can step in on your behalf. I hate to think of you continuing like this for months.
Original post by Lexi99
Unfortunately this is just what workplaces are like, their main concern is work, not your personal life, its up to you to manage it and it sounds like you are. As long as you're working according to your contract they cant do anything

yeah thats true, its not that I want them to do anything about my personal life, its more that itd be impossible or far too much for me to work after uni, on mondays im 10-6 (not including traveling time) and my shift is 4-8 so thatd be impossible unless i skipped uni classes.. its kinda like they arent accepting that I want to do well in my education and its not as though Im saying no then sitting at home all day doing nothing when I could be working yknow? so instead of them getting the message that I cant come in, they ignore this and keep asking which is just plain annoying me.
Original post by Crumpet1
From that description, it sounds to me as though they know this upsets you, and they're doing it to be annoying. Even though you're shy and quiet, can you speak to somebody else who can step in on your behalf. I hate to think of you continuing like this for months.

Ive considered this as well, as one time they came up to my ward for no reason other than to ask me if I could do overtime and started asking about my tattoos.. when usually they only visit your area if a complaint has been made or to do a random check.. not to chat >_> but Im not really sure what I should say or do, I could either just ignore them when they ask which will be really rude but might get the point across, or I could just say no and nothing else. I think cos im quite an anxious person whenever they ask i get all flustered and they probably enjoy feeling that they intimidate me?
Reply 28
I think speak to: a more senior manager, human resources (if any), or the most sympathetic team-leader you can identify. In theory you could raise a grievance under the grievance procedure, but sorting it out without going to that extreme would be preferable if possible. What I can be fairly sure of is that if you went and spoke to HR about this, it would stop because quiet words would be had to the team leaders about bullying, associative discrimination, and general appropriate behaviour in the workplace.
Reply 29
I advice you to use a tactic which I successfully used in persuading people. Basically, you need to ask that person common sense questions like "Wouldn't you consider degree more important than your part-time work?", it is obvious that a guy would have to answer yes because no one in their right mind would think that part-time work is more important than their studies. You need to ask two or more questions which would make him/her say "yes" because it would be silly to not do so. After that, he will be more considerate and you can then go around manager's wall of negativity because he was forced to say yes. In other words, never ever attack person or talk angrily about things they are trying to force on you. Do the talking in the positive way, make that person say yes and then you have won.

I don't know how many managers know this stuff since it's pretty common knowledge who are interested in some basic human psychology.
Original post by Valentas
I advice you to use a tactic which I successfully used in persuading people. Basically, you need to ask that person common sense questions like "Wouldn't you consider degree more important than your part-time work?", it is obvious that a guy would have to answer yes because no one in their right mind would think that part-time work is more important than their studies. You need to ask two or more questions which would make him/her say "yes" because it would be silly to not do so. After that, he will be more considerate and you can then go around manager's wall of negativity because he was forced to say yes. In other words, never ever attack person or talk angrily about things they are trying to force on you. Do the talking in the positive way, make that person say yes and then you have won.

I don't know how many managers know this stuff since it's pretty common knowledge who are interested in some basic human psychology.

they wouldnt consider a degree more important though haha :P! like i said theyd be really happy if i quit and worked all the time and got no where in life or worked all the time and failed uni, its not really a concern of theirs how well i do at uni/in life, they just need someone to do the job regardless of their situation or whether they want to.
x

Your boss seems completely clueless about the realities of higher education - perhaps s/he's used to employing students on less-demanding courses which have relatively few hours in the classroom. Can you show him/her your timetable for the year, as a way of indicating that you will not have any time off for the rest of the academic year?
Original post by Pastaferian
Your boss seems completely clueless about the realities of higher education - perhaps s/he's used to employing students on less-demanding courses which have relatively few hours in the classroom. Can you show him/her your timetable for the year, as a way of indicating that you will not have any time off for the rest of the academic year?

I did tell one that I have an 8 hour day on a monday and that I finish late on other days as well, just for her to then ask me again the next day and every weekend after that id still be asked. so its like they dont even listen to me or they forget. I dont know, thinking about it now is beginning to make me feel really down because Im starting to blame myself for being such a pushover and people pleaser and letting them treat me like crap and not standing up for myself. so its my fault really for not being confident and assertive :/
I did tell one that I have an 8 hour day on a monday and that I finish late on other days as well, just for her to then ask me again the next day and every weekend after that id still be asked. so its like they dont even listen to me or they forget. I dont know, thinking about it now is beginning to make me feel really down because Im starting to blame myself for being such a pushover and people pleaser and letting them treat me like crap and not standing up for myself. so its my fault really for not being confident and assertive :/

But you are standing up for yourself! You don't cave in and agree to overtime - that is being assertive!

Next time someone asks, don't answer 'yes' or 'no' - ask them first what they think your answer is going to be.

I'm curious why they feel they have to ask. Perhaps there is some HR policy that every employee is entitled to a share of any overtime that is available, and the supervisor isn't allowed to assume your answer will always be 'no'. Is there an HR person you can ask about that?
Original post by Pastaferian
But you are standing up for yourself! You don't cave in and agree to overtime - that is being assertive!

Next time someone asks, don't answer 'yes' or 'no' - ask them first what they think your answer is going to be.

I'm curious why they feel they have to ask. Perhaps there is some HR policy that every employee is entitled to a share of any overtime that is available, and the supervisor isn't allowed to assume your answer will always be 'no'. Is there an HR person you can ask about that?

But me being a people pleaser it takes a lot of my willpower to say no haha :tongue: I always want to say yes to everything even if I dont want to do something. Nah, its because they are overly short staffed. There are a lot of staff on long term sick leave, maternity leave (90% of the employees are women and a lot of them are always having babies, not saying this is a bad thing, just to show how often they will lose an employee for a period of time) or phone in sick last minute, so they always need people. When their needs arent a priority over me doing what I want to. Because of the job that it is, everything needs to be done and if it isnt the company get fined large amounts, therefore if they dont have the staff then the team leaders get it from their bosses. But youd think theyd be nicer to people in order to encourage them to do overtime, rather than hounding everyone all the time. I also think its because Ill go to any area whereas a lot of people who do overtime refuse to work with certain people etc whereas im pretty flexible and not bothered.
One kinda buisnes is sometimes like a ship, and when one single important employee refuses to work overtime , the ship may sink,,, Another buisnes is different, and the boss could calculate in, that he needs more people in his compagny, so that not every single week u are asked to give up ur free time in the evening....
they can't fire you, you've worked there long enough to be able to sue for wrongful dismissal if they did.
But me being a people pleaser it takes a lot of my willpower to say no haha :tongue:

Ptacice makes perfect ')

[...] I also think its because Ill go to any area whereas a lot of people who do overtime refuse to work with certain people etc whereas im pretty flexible and not bothered.

If you're flexible, that's a very valuable trait, and they'll want to keep you.
I've never been in a place with a probationary period of more than 6 months where they could get rid of you for that. However, I find the wording of your contract a bit ambiguous, could you speak to the citizens advice bureau to get clarification? My last contract said the same thing but as I worked in a hospital lab they explained that meant that if there was a major accident all staff had to be prepared to work and we had a voluntary overtime rota for the rest of the overtime that was available (not that people always stuck to it :mad:).
Original post by RachaelBee
I've never been in a place with a probationary period of more than 6 months where they could get rid of you for that. However, I find the wording of your contract a bit ambiguous, could you speak to the citizens advice bureau to get clarification? My last contract said the same thing but as I worked in a hospital lab they explained that meant that if there was a major accident all staff had to be prepared to work and we had a voluntary overtime rota for the rest of the overtime that was available (not that people always stuck to it :mad:).

That sounds like a good idea, Ive spoken to other people though who've said that overtime is completely up to you and that you dont *have* to do it, ever. Also during my interview I stated that I was going to be starting college and then afterwards was hoping to go to uni after that, so I dont see why theyd employ me if they were expecting me to work 24/7 when Id mentioned I wouldnt be free during the week. There are staff who refuse to work weekends because they want to spend time with their children and things like that and they never bother them about it.. Ive also heard of people asking for overtime and theyve said there arent any shifts and then ive asked and theyve given me plenty.. so I dont know >_>

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending