The Student Room Group
It's not true.
It's absolutely not true, in any way!

There will be idiots who come on here and tell you that it is, and tell you that you have a greater chance of passing early in the day before they use up their "quota", but it's all b******s.

If you drive safely, you will pass. If you do not drive safely, you will fail - simple as that :smile:
Exactly, without going into specifics, just think of this. It would have to be a hidden quota, i.e. one not advertised, the DSA state no such thing exists. There are thousands of DSA examiners and ex-examiners, don't you think it would have got out somehow? A quota would require lots of paper work and official numbering systems, no such things exist.
Reply 4
if u drive safely and according to DSA standards u will pass...they have to. No quotas or ne crap like tht.just not practical in the real world if u think about it for a second.
Reply 5
pghstochaj
Exactly, without going into specifics, just think of this. It would have to be a hidden quota, i.e. one not advertised, the DSA state no such thing exists. There are thousands of DSA examiners and ex-examiners, don't you think it would have got out somehow? A quota would require lots of paper work and official numbering systems, no such things exist.

not really, it could be all word of mouth. a new examiner starts at a centre, and his manager tells him to pass 40% of his tests. theres no need to number anything, as long as the figures work out.

but yeah, no such thing. otherwise, why does wood green (test centre) have such a low pass rate? and some others so high?
It's a myth perpetuated by people who fail their tests, hence taking the blame off themselves slightly.
Reply 7
100% not true.
Reply 8
Its like frag reaper says, there aren't quotas, to put it simply when (some)people fail and think they shouldnt have they say its down to quotas. There may be more common times to pass/fail a test - I don't know. For example if you have an early morning/rush hour test chances are there will be more traffic on the road for you to deal with and more idiots rushing around. Therefore you might be more likely to fail than at 10/11:00 when the traffic has calmed down abit. Some test centres will have a higher failure rate than others, that doesn't mean they have a quota. It could be down to many things, the Nottingham one where I took my test is very busy, and has alot of hard routes where there is the potential for alot to go wrong. Compare that to a smaller centre with only a few routes, where you can pretty much 'learn' them all, and there will be less people taking their test and there will be differences in the pass rates.

Basically, there are NO QUOTAS. People just spread the rumours to make themselves feel better, its not their fault they failed, they were always going to fail because it was a friday afternoon and the examiner couldnt pass any more people that week.
kikzen
not really, it could be all word of mouth. a new examiner starts at a centre, and his manager tells him to pass 40% of his tests. theres no need to number anything, as long as the figures work out.

but yeah, no such thing. otherwise, why does wood green (test centre) have such a low pass rate? and some others so high?

It would be one of the first offical government policies implemented by word of mouth!
Reply 10
I didn't used to believe that they would pass you if you are at the safe standard, but on taking my third test, my driving wasn't great - I drove like a learner, and made more than one mistake which I should have got a serious for (such as driving forward and starting the reverse park again after misjudging it). I also made some other mistakes that I could have failed on, but my driving overall was safe and careful, so the examiner dismissed them as minors and I passed. I was quite amazed because I was positive that I had failed...
Reply 11
yeh I thought it can't be true, sounds silly!

But anyway..wohooooooooooo passed my test today!:biggrin: 7 minors
My Stepdad is an examiner for a bus company, he has to pass a certain amount of people. He feels this is really unfair and quite stupid, as do I.
Reply 13
Quotas are true.. my driving instructor has been teaching for over 18 years, and in that time he has become good friends with plenty of examiners. One of them actually became an instructor after time and he kept on nagging and nagging him and in the end he admitted that on average they should pass 30% of people on a monthly basis. This is the main reason you see most people pass at the beginning of the month, well at least at my local test centre. However, if you drive 100% perfect and i mean 100% not 99% you should pass, and the person after you will get the unfortunate kick up the buttocks.
It's a sad truth but it is reality
Reply 14
no, they don't have quota's, if they did that would be fraud.
Reply 15
that's why they hide it so well
lol, there's no quota, as I have said, it would be impossible to hide a government policy. It's hard enough to hide ministerial affairs in private let alone a policy that thousands of people would have to adhere to.
maxzara
Quotas are true.. my driving instructor has been teaching for over 18 years, and in that time he has become good friends with plenty of examiners. One of them actually became an instructor after time and he kept on nagging and nagging him and in the end he admitted that on average they should pass 30% of people on a monthly basis. This is the main reason you see most people pass at the beginning of the month, well at least at my local test centre. However, if you drive 100% perfect and i mean 100% not 99% you should pass, and the person after you will get the unfortunate kick up the buttocks. It's a sad truth but it is reality

There aren't quotas. What it is more likely to be, as in the case you are saying, is that the pass rate for that test centre is normally about 30%. Therefore if one examiner is passing people consistantly at a higher than 30% rate it would suggest that maybe they aren't marking to the same standard as the other examiners. If that area has a pass rate of 30% then all examiners would probably roughly have the same amount of pass rates, that is to say, its not set as a quota but just comparing them to each other. Whilst one examiner having a good day with alot of good drivers, or having a bad day with several poor drivers wouldn't be a problem, if one examiner regulary has a lot higher or lower pass rate than others it would be looked at.

People taking their driving test have more than enough to worry about without rumors being spread about quotas as to of they will pass or not!
Reply 18
Cathie86
There aren't quotas. What it is more likely to be, as in the case you are saying, is that the pass rate for that test centre is normally about 30%. Therefore if one examiner is passing people consistantly at a higher than 30% rate it would suggest that maybe they aren't marking to the same standard as the other examiners. If that area has a pass rate of 30% then all examiners would probably roughly have the same amount of pass rates, that is to say, its not set as a quota but just comparing them to each other. Whilst one examiner having a good day with alot of good drivers, or having a bad day with several poor drivers wouldn't be a problem, if one examiner regulary has a lot higher or lower pass rate than others it would be looked at.

People taking their driving test have more than enough to worry about without rumors being spread about quotas as to of they will pass or not!

Did no one else watch the Tonight special on this?! I'm ashamed :wink:

Anyway as said above there is an average pass rate - not a quota. And if someone is majorly going over or under this then another examiner will sit in on a few of their tests and amke sure he's marking them correctly.

I drove better on the test that i failed than the one that i passed. But i was more confident on the second so passed it.
Reply 19
Maybe some examiners try to avoid being tested themselves etc by sticking to the pass rate of the test centre. It seems possible because im sure examiners dont like being tested themselves. Im sure that must be a lot of examiners thinking. Just my opinion...

Latest

Trending

Trending