Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    According to my book 'cytokinins promote cell division and promote bud growth' and 'gibberellins promote growth of stems by promoting stem elongation and cell division'. But then under the commercial uses of plant hormone spread it also says 'gibberellins acting with cytokinins can make apples elongate to improve their shape', but doesn't giberellin cause elongation of stems only? I'm really confused

ReputationRep:
    I'm revising that stuff now as well!
    The main thing to remember about giberellins is cell elongation in the stem (and also barley germination), but since since plant growth substances can have different effects on different tissues, it makes sense that it could also have an effect on fruit development.
    I reckon the apple thing isn't too important, rather it's just meant as an example of the commercial applications.
    Sorry if you were after an in depth explanation :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipturtle)
    I'm revising that stuff now as well!
    The main thing to remember about giberellins is cell elongation in the stem (and also barley germination), but since since plant growth substances can have different effects on different tissues, it makes sense that it could also have an effect on fruit development.
    I reckon the apple thing isn't too important, rather it's just meant as an example of the commercial applications.
    Sorry if you were after an in depth explanation :P
    It's the worst bit of module 4 in my opinion lol & I guess because the cytokinins and gibberelins are working together, the cytokinins probably promote bud growth and maybe allow the fruits/buds to be a sink for giberellins or something. But I guess you're right, it's not that important, if they ask for examples in the exam, I could just use the other examples.

ReputationRep:
    What you suggest sounds plausible If this was your biggest worry about this topic then I think you're going to be just fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipturtle)
    What you suggest sounds plausible If this was your biggest worry about this topic then I think you're going to be just fine
    haha thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Cytokinins do promote bud growth. And gibberelins are associated with fruit griwth, they can also induce parthenocarpy

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.