Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, basically I'm in such a pickle and I'm panicking a bit so I was wondering if I could get some help, please Right now I'm with Lloyds and I have a normal current account. I've been with them all my life and never had any problems.

Which is the best student account to go for and how good have they been for you? Also, when is a good time to apply for one? I firmed in December for a conditional offer and I am able to get my results in May/June (I do a BTEC course and my lecturer said he will send my coursework to my uni as soon as he knows my grade). What documents will I need?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me! I'm so rubbish with finances and my parents have no idea on what to do with anything student-related. :confused: thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You want to look at factors such as branch location (relative to your uni), and also a large 0% overdraft. I believe the co-op have the largest but it's quite difficult to obtain. You can't apply for a student bank account unless you have an unconditional offer, so you will have to wait until results day to prove you have met the conditions of your offer.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, they are all very similar.

I initially chose an HSBC student account with an overdraft of £500. However, when I tried to increase that overdraft during my second year it was refused despite having an impeccable credit report. For that reason I left HSBC and moved to Co-operative Bank who immediately gave me an £1,750 overdraft. The whole process was very easy, I just needed to go into the branch and supply evidence in the form of my UCAS confirmation letter and other personal identification.

I would suggest going for the largest guaranteed overdraft available because my experience showed that some are unwilling to increase it at all.

This link is useful:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! I heard the co-op online banking is sometimes not that great, should that be a factor to take into account? But thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.