The Student Room Group

Why is amylase not harmful in the blood?

Please help, i'm stuck on this question.

Thanks.
Original post by chelseafan
Please help, i'm stuck on this question.

Thanks.

Well, amylase breaks down starch, and I suppose there isn't much starch in the blood to break down :wink:

Also, bear in mind that enzymes can only attach to complementary (specific) substrates and form enzyme-substrate complexes.
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod
Well, amylase breaks down starch, and I suppose there isn't much starch in the blood to break down :wink:

Also, bear in mind that enzymes can only attach to complementary (specific) substrates and form enzyme-substrate complexes.

Thanks very much. Also why is there more amylase in the blood when the pancreatic duct is blocked?
Thanks very much. Also why is there more amylase in the blood when the pancreatic duct is blocked?

No idea about that, sorry :frown:
Original post by thegodofgod
No idea about that, sorry :frown:

There's a few reasons that it might be, and depends on the blockage. It could even be unrelated (i.e. due to a Gall Bladder infection). There has to be an elevated Lipase level to safely say that it's pancreatitis.

There's a few different reasons it causes increased levels, mainly due to build ups of the secreted bile and pancreatic juice when the ampulla of Vater is blocked at the at the constricted distal end. As this interferes with the interaction with the duodenum, pancreatic juices aren't drained properly.

This means that an excess will be picked up by the superior mesenteric artery.

570px-Biliary_system_multilingual.svg.png
8 - Ampulla of Vater
15 - Duodenum
17- Pancreas
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending