The Student Room Group

Programming, where to start?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by reneetaylor
I'm really interested in learning the basics of programming, any pointers about where to start from your personal experience?
Or any advice about programming at all would be helpful!

Like how hard is it to learn, etc.

Thanks!

Hah... pointers...
Reply 21
On a serious note, do try https://www.udacity.com/ 's Into to Computer Science. You'll learn about the basic of computer science, AND a lot of python (which is a nice language, especially for beginners (but not exclusively)).
Reply 22
Original post by DolallyDucky
I started by following a very basic book course for C. I would recreate the simplest programs, learn what they did line by line then write down the useful lines in a log book. As I looked at more complex programs, I would look at this log book, and put the different pieces together to make the program I wanted. If I didn't know how to do something, I just googled it :P

I strongly believe once you've learnt one language, it's easy to pick up another, as most of the hard work is getting your head around the logic of how you can make it do what you want. :smile: So I'd say just pick a language you like the look of, learn the basics then just keep building. :biggrin: Good luck!

Now I'll say my opinion on picking a language. I was a victim of choosing c++ as a first language. It was a nightmare. Pointers, making your own data structures is surprisingly hard for newcomer, thus I jumped to Java. Never regretted it. Also you can do exiting stuff with Java on Android because it is a must to use Java there. Also, there are literally no good books on c++ for a noob which would explain it very well. And when you continue and start using the mess called Standard Template Library and other ones, you will curse God who put you into this misery. It applies to beginner though.

Java is easier. You will understand OOP(I was learning programming for 6 months and I still struggle sometimes), basics of computation. Once you learn about if/else you are ready to embark on a glorious journey every single problem solver must go: www.projecteuler.net, where first problem requires you to know modulo operator usage and if/else statement. Also about loops. After that, stuff gets harder rapidly. But it is going to excite you as well as question whether you're too dumb to become programmer. I do this often but persevere and win! :biggrin: I solved over 50 problems already which taught me a lot. Especially patience. And that you need to get out often in order to produce your best thinking.

Another language is Python. I used it but did not need it for any further goals in development thus concentrated on Android platform and Java. Google "stack overflow best language for beginner" and read. See what catches your eyes. See if it resonates with your goals. But don't pick c++. It is generally hard language and you don't start powerlifting until you build enough strength to move that barbell. The same is with c++ :smile:

I am open to criticism to my points stated here. I might be not smart to forbid c++, but hey, some of you may prove me that I'm wrong (I'm wrong about loads of stuff usually :smile: );
Reply 23
- Don't start on C/C++ in my opinion.
- Pick something like Python if you're after lightweight and relatively easy
- Pick something like Java if you're after the end goal and being able to do awesome things
- Before you pick something, make sure there is sufficient "entry-level / beginner" resources out there to guide you
- Once you've started, don't look back. You will encounter problem after problem with your code but grinding through it and finding your mistakes can be ever so rewarding.

Have fun!
-NR
Reply 24
Thanks, that would be very very useful if you don't mind!! :smile:

Right, I've attached a handbook and the second project I got (didn't have a script downloaded for the first one) I suggest you work through the handbook and then have a stab at the project (for the graphing write the program to write to a .txt and then c'n'p to excel unless you have gnuplot). If you want more stuff feel free to message me but I'm not sure I can access it any more.

You will need a compiler and IDE to do any programming so as someone suggested earlier, download Codeblocks as it is quite good (an importantly free and ad-free).

If you manage to finish anything and aren't sure if it is right feel free to send me the code :smile:

EDIT: Some people will say that C isn't a good language to start on but it was pretty easy for me...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Reply 26
Original post by Sinfire
Hah... pointers...

Haha! :biggrin:

Original post by Sinfire
On a serious note, do try https://www.udacity.com/ 's Into to Computer Science. You'll learn about the basic of computer science, AND a lot of python (which is a nice language, especially for beginners (but not exclusively)).

Thanks :smile:, for your advice! I'll do some research on python too as well as Java, no harm.
Original post by Valentas

C and C++ are very different, C++ may stem from C but there are a lot of changes.
While I would agree C++ is a bad starter choice, I wouldn't say that C is. Once you've got used to the syntax it's a very simple and powerful language, as long as you have a good compiler anyway. :biggrin:
However, personally after a lot of experimentation, I would agree Python is a good starter language, it's very simple and you don't have to worry about missing curly braces everywhere :wink:
I haven't really played with Java that much, so I shan't comment.
Reply 28
I'm really interested in learning the basics of programming, any pointers about where to start from your personal experience?

Thanks!

Helps if you have an objective in mind, something you enjoy doing, for example create a program that asks the user for their name and then it automatically tells them their age.

I find VBA quite intuitive, especially in Excel as you can record your actions and then see how it's converted into code.
Reply 29
Original post by Sinfire
Hah... pointers...

They are not hard, but they are annoying. :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by natninja
Right, I've attached a handbook and the second project I got (didn't have a script downloaded for the first one) I suggest you work through the handbook and then have a stab at the project (for the graphing write the program to write to a .txt and then c'n'p to excel unless you have gnuplot). If you want more stuff feel free to message me but I'm not sure I can access it any more.

You will need a compiler and IDE to do any programming so as someone suggested earlier, download Codeblocks as it is quite good (an importantly free and ad-free).

If you manage to finish anything and aren't sure if it is right feel free to send me the code :smile:

EDIT: Some people will say that C isn't a good language to start on but it was pretty easy for me...

Thanks, and it's best to get an all round knowledge of things, so I'm not complaining, even though I'm going for Java. Thanks for your resources, you've been really helpful

Original post by NabRoh
- Don't start on C/C++ in my opinion.
- Pick something like Python if you're after lightweight and relatively easy
- Pick something like Java if you're after the end goal and being able to do awesome things
- Before you pick something, make sure there is sufficient "entry-level / beginner" resources out there to guide you
- Once you've started, don't look back. You will encounter problem after problem with your code but grinding through it and finding your mistakes can be ever so rewarding.

Have fun!
-NR

Thanks for the advice! I've downloaded JDK and I'm just taking it from there really, it is really interesting, I've been missing out!

Original post by Economi

This site is absolutely amazing, thanks for recommending it!

Original post by dbkey
Helps if you have an objective in mind, something you enjoy doing, for example create a program that asks the user for their name and then it automatically tells them their age.

I find VBA quite intuitive, especially in Excel as you can record your actions and then see how it's converted into code.

That sounds quite cool.
Thanks for the advice!
Reply 32
I would have loved to have gotten into programming. I started learning BASIC back in the day, but apart from what came with the software in terms of code, I couldn't figure out anything else myself so figured I just wasn't cut out for it. I managed to make some A.I type ask a question and get a built response. Remembering names in strings, etc.
That said, like anything, I'm sure you can pick it up.
I'm rather logical so its strange I can't seem to get any of it, but not tried C++ or similar.

On a similar note, you may find it beneficial to add the new Computerphile Youtube channel, the creators of Numberphile are starting up on computers. They are going to be making some videos on programming etc when they come to make the videos. Might be a good resource for some info.

Thanks!

Try using code academy! one of the best website you will ever use for programming :smile: breaks everything down into simple tasks and teaches you everything interactively. Its only as hard as you make it tbh, if you put your mind to it, it wont take you long at all to learn a language.
What is Python like?
I am wanting to learn so I might get a Raspberry Pi so I can actually test the code I'd be practicing on ... because if you don't have a goal for coding how can you improve right?
Reply 35
I detest codeacademy.com because it does not teach you how to think. I prefer a hard problem, google the hell out of the Web and try to hammer out the solution. :smile:
Original post by Sketch
TheNewBoston On youtube is incredibly helpful.

He's okay, but it's mostly his quirkiness that kept me watching. It's much better to get into the habit of reading imo. It takes a lot to get published, not so much to make a YouTube video.
Reply 37
Any pointers?

Stack trace pointers. Ba dum tsh.

Anyone?

no :frown:

Thanks!

Just realised you were a girl.. Girls who can program = my dream wife :P

If you wanna learn Java, I can always help you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by CodeJack
Any pointers?

Stack trace pointers. Ba dum tsh.

Anyone?

no :frown:

Just realised you were a girl.. Girls who can program = my dream wife :P

If you wanna learn Java, I can always help you :smile:

Hahahaha! :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm surprised not much people are interested in it to be honest, it's really interesting.

So far I'm finding it so awesome, almost addictive, it really improves your sense of logic also.

And thanks for your support!
Reply 39
Hahahaha! :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm surprised not much people are interested in it to be honest, it's really interesting.

So far I'm finding it so awesome, almost addictive, it really improves your sense of logic also.

And thanks for your support!

Which language are you learning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending