Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi !
    I am currently in year 11, moving on to A-levels to do Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, English Literature. I plan on taking a degree in Biology, having always had an interest in it, hoping it to lead me to a career in forensic science

However, having done some research I found out that majority of people planning on Forensics do a Chemistry degree? I have no intention of pursuing a three year course which I have little to no interest in

So my question is, would Biology be a viable degree for a forensics career?

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can become a forensic biologist, e.g.:

http://explorehealthcareers.org/en/C...nsic_Biologist

The reason why many people go into forensics from a chemical background is that much of the work has an analytical element to it, which you will have some prior experience of from a chemistry degree.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what I've just done. I completed my Biology degree and am planning on doing a masters in Forensic Science and then I want to do a PhD. Biology or chemistry is fine as they both feature heavily in the subject, so if you're not afraid of a little chemistry then go for it. Always pick something you know you love because you'll do much better in it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.