The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Broadcast Journalism 2013

Hi guys! had a look around the forum and don't think anybody has started a thread specifically for all the people that have firmed/insured Broadcast Journalism at the University of Leeds!

Thought it would be useful for us all to get to know each other a bit considering as of September we'll most likely see each other for the next 3 years (sounds crazy saying that!)

I don't really think it needs to be subject specific, people can talk about the course, themselves, the university, accommodation, anything really! just an informal chat really :smile:

I'll introduce myself anyway, I'm Dani, and I'm from Derbyshire, specifically Ilkeston if anyone has heard of it! I found a love for Media/Journalism when I chose to take Media at the beginning of year 12 and I've never looked back since! I applied to Nottingham Trent, Salford, Bournemouth, Leeds Trinity and of course University of Leeds to study Broadcast Journalism. I received an offer of ABB from Leeds for the course, just recently being lowered to BBC through my acceptance onto Access to Leeds (I was absolutely ecstatic!). I just firmed Leeds this morning, and I'm close to applying for accommodation, I've got my heart set on Central Village, fingers crossed!

I attended the Media Faculties open day earlier this year and met some of the course tutors and current students, and this was also my first visit to the campus and I fell in love even more. I'm so excited, I can't wait to start in September so I hope I get the grades I need, I'll be so happy!

Good luck to all you offer holders aswell, hopefully we'll meet in September! :smile: All the best!
Hi Dani,
I'm Hannah, I also have an offer from Leeds as well as Sheffield and Exeter. I haven't yet chosen which one I want the most! I currently live in France (and have been living here since the age of 5) so I wasn't able to attend the open day and I would love to have some more info about the course so maybe you could give me some? :smile:

xxxxx
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hi! I'm Lizzie, only got my offer a month ago but decided to make it my firm choice straight away :smile: Lived in Newcastle my whole life but haven't managed to pick up the slightest accent at all for some reason. Having a major dilemma over which accommodation to pick at the moment.
Reply 3
Original post by Hannahreeves
Hi Dani,
I'm Hannah, I also have an offer from Leeds as well as Sheffield and Exeter. I haven't yet chosen which one I want the most! I currently live in France (and have been living here since the age of 5) so I wasn't able to attend the open day and I would love to have some more info about the course so maybe you could give me some? :smile:

xxxxx

Bonjour Hannah! sorry for the late reply, been a little busy and I didn't want to give you a half hearted response, hope you don't mind :smile: congratulations on your offers! it must be hard for you to choose which university to go to for the course as you live too far away to come and see the campuses and meet the lecturers which is a shame, but also I'm quite jealous you live in such a beautiful country :biggrin: So, I don't really have much detailed information about the course as everything is generally on the Universities website, but I can tell you some of the things that sounded really exciting and what we did on the open day! :smile:

When I first got to campus I felt amazed straight away, it's like the land of students! everything is all together and just looks generally a nice place, I felt really comfortable and quite excited at the prospect of seeing these surroundings hopefully on a daily basis in the future! All the offer holding students on the Media course open day met in the 'refectory' which is like a large hall where they serve food and drinks etc, and they offered us refreshments, a chance to mingle with other students and meet the lecturers. There were people their for photography, cinematography, broadcast journalism and other related courses! Me and my mum got the opportunity to speak to a lovely second year student, she was so helpful and told us a bit about the course and living at university etc! Then we split into our groups to get a presentation specifically about our course and meet our lecturers. The lecturers for Broadcast Journalism seem very qualified and friendly, it was nice to be reassured the quality of teaching we will be paying for is going to be enjoyable and effective! We saw some examples of works from students like news stories etc, they were really good! they also spoke about us going to lectures with politics and economic students from time to time as they fit in with the modules we will be learning! They also spoke about the possibility of studying a year abroad, which I personally am really interested in, I'd love to go to America or Australia! We then had a question and answer session, along with an accommodation talk. Then the fun bit came, the tour of the building for communication and institutional studies! (aka the building we'll be working in!) it was so amazingly professional, with a green screen room full of high tech cameras, lighting and then an attatched studio for editing etc. Seriously it took my breath away, the sheer quality of resources and technology we will have offered to us is just so surreal! That was the end of the day, and although it was quite short I got to see potentially what and where i'll be studying and who with so it was really informing.

I hope this helped a bit, good luck with firming your choices, and dare I say I hope you choose Leeds as it really is fantastic and it would be great to see you in September!

Kind Regards Hannah!

xxxxx

Original post by LizzieL95
Hi! I'm Lizzie, only got my offer a month ago but decided to make it my firm choice straight away :smile: Lived in Newcastle my whole life but haven't managed to pick up the slightest accent at all for some reason. Having a major dilemma over which accommodation to pick at the moment.

Hi Lizzie, great choice! absolute fabulous uni, have you visited? Love geordie accents, find it hard to believe you don't have one of them! We'll have to see I guess :biggrin: I have quite a common accent and everyone on the Broadcast Journalism open day was very posh, made me feel a tad nervous haha! I had that aswell trust me, it's such a hard decision. I went for Central Village in the end, but I know a lot of people have applied for it and only 75% of people get their first choice so I think the chances of getting into central village are even lower :frown:
Hi Dani (and Lizzie), thank you so much for such a lovely detailed answer, it was definitely worth the wait aha! I think Exeter is now out of the picture as it is a completely different course (Business management) and it is too far south basically. Despite the amazing description of the Broadcast journalism course you gave me, I still have to visit Sheffield which I will be doing on Monday, so that's quite exciting! But you've really got me excited about the broadcast journalism now haha :smile: I will let you know next week which University (+accomodation) i'll be going for! Thank you again for the info about the course.

Hannah xxxx
Reply 5
Hi Dani (and Lizzie), thank you so much for such a lovely detailed answer, it was definitely worth the wait aha! I think Exeter is now out of the picture as it is a completely different course (Business management) and it is too far south basically. Despite the amazing description of the Broadcast journalism course you gave me, I still have to visit Sheffield which I will be doing on Monday, so that's quite exciting! But you've really got me excited about the broadcast journalism now haha :smile: I will let you know next week which University (+accomodation) i'll be going for! Thank you again for the info about the course.

Hannah xxxx

Glad you appreciated it! It's no trouble at all :smile: anything else you want to know just let me know! Ahh I see, how come you applied to a different course are you a bit undecided on whether Broadcast Journalism is the specific career route you want to go down? I've only been to the city of Sheffield once, just to the arena but it looked really nice and clean, never been to the university or in the town centre though so I hope you enjoy it :smile: aww haha that's a good thing, I'm really excited aswell I can't wait to start, just hope I get the grades to get in!

Ok that's cool, let me know how everything goes, there's loads of threads on here about the specific types of accomodation that they do at Leeds so have a look around! I've gone or central village, really hope I get in :smile:

All the best,
Dani xxxx
Heya Dani,
Last week I visited all the Unis and was very impressed by them all! However the one that stood out for me was Sheffield even thouh Leeds looked AMAZING as well! It's such a hard decision because I loved all three of them but think I'm going to go to Sheffield. Anyway I wish you the best of luck for the Broadcast journalism course in Leeds because it's really cool, and who knows we might get to meet each other one day (and hopefully we'll both be really awesome journalists aha)
All the best,
Hannah
Hi everyone, I'm Chad :smile: I finally firmed Leeds last week, after much erring between Leeds and Sheffield. In the end I decided I liked the city and the university more in Leeds, but I'll definitely join the student paper as well to get a little bit more diverse experience of journalism.

There's so many things about Leeds I love! The campus really impressed me when I first visited. It's stunning, contained, and really impressive! The staff and lecturers at Leeds all seemed incredibly friendly, knowledgable and helpful - a little more so than at some of the other universities I visited. I also like the city, it's shops, galleries, (perhaps) nightlife and the fact it is literally only ten minutes down the road :biggrin: Oh - I looked at all the accommodation yesterday, and would love to get a place at Central Village or if not, Henry Price - though none of the accommodation seemed bad to be honest. I applied last night.

I'd love to work in Broadcasting/Journalism, and have been thinking that way for years now, since I first kinda became switched on to it when I was about 15. I consume ridiculous amounts of media on a daily basis just because I really enjoy learning about a range of interesting things, and to keep up with all the current affairs. I'd also love to be a journalist because of the potential that - when done right - the spread of ideas can literally change our perceptions and make a difference :smile: Ugh I sound so cliché haha :')

Now I just need to keep revising and working to get ABB in the A-Level exams! I'm currently doing Biology, Psychology, Media Studies and General Studies :smile:.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in September and starting the course!
Reply 8
Heya Dani,
Last week I visited all the Unis and was very impressed by them all! However the one that stood out for me was Sheffield even thouh Leeds looked AMAZING as well! It's such a hard decision because I loved all three of them but think I'm going to go to Sheffield. Anyway I wish you the best of luck for the Broadcast journalism course in Leeds because it's really cool, and who knows we might get to meet each other one day (and hopefully we'll both be really awesome journalists aha)
All the best,
Hannah

Glad to hear you've made your decision, I wish you all the best at Sheffield I'm sure you'll have a great time :biggrin: and haha, sure who knows!
All the best Hannah,
Dani xxxx

Original post by Chadjnewton
Hi everyone, I'm Chad :smile: I finally firmed Leeds last week, after much erring between Leeds and Sheffield. In the end I decided I liked the city and the university more in Leeds, but I'll definitely join the student paper as well to get a little bit more diverse experience of journalism.

There's so many things about Leeds I love! The campus really impressed me when I first visited. It's stunning, contained, and really impressive! The staff and lecturers at Leeds all seemed incredibly friendly, knowledgable and helpful - a little more so than at some of the other universities I visited. I also like the city, it's shops, galleries, (perhaps) nightlife and the fact it is literally only ten minutes down the road :biggrin: Oh - I looked at all the accommodation yesterday, and would love to get a place at Central Village or if not, Henry Price - though none of the accommodation seemed bad to be honest. I applied last night.

I'd love to work in Broadcasting/Journalism, and have been thinking that way for years now, since I first kinda became switched on to it when I was about 15. I consume ridiculous amounts of media on a daily basis just because I really enjoy learning about a range of interesting things, and to keep up with all the current affairs. I'd also love to be a journalist because of the potential that - when done right - the spread of ideas can literally change our perceptions and make a difference :smile: Ugh I sound so cliché haha :')

Now I just need to keep revising and working to get ABB in the A-Level exams! I'm currently doing Biology, Psychology, Media Studies and General Studies :smile:.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in September and starting the course!

Hi Chad! :smile: glad to hear you chose Leeds! I really want to get involved with the University newspaper and/or radio too, it looks like a really interesting experience to have!

I live about 2 hours away on the train so I've only visited Leeds once and that was for an invited open day and that was the first time I've been and I just literally fell in love with it! I've not checked out the town yet, but like you've said I've heard it's a really nice place with a central location and stuff so it should be fine :smile:

I'd love to get a place at central village too, I'm tightly crossing my fingers for a place so I will for you too! Although I do agree with you, they all looked nice and I wouldn't mind being put somewhere near Headingley which is apparently student city! I'm really excited but nervous at the same time about starting new and meeting my room mates even though it's so long away, but I know it'll come round so fast eek!

Don't worry about sounding cliché, I feel exactly the same way and it's really important to feel passionate about a subject that you want to study, and I really am SO excited to start it all!

Good luck with your studies, work hard and revise and you'll get those grades :biggrin: hopefully I'll see you in September!
All the best,
Dani xxx
Reply 9
Erm, hi guys.
I know there hasn't been replies on here for ages, but I'm kinda assuming that, therefore, you all got into Leeds for Broadcast Journalism?
Well, I've got an offer, and it's shaping up to be my firm. I'm hoping to go there for the Open Day on the 19th of Feb, 2014, and I was just wondering if;
a) any of you could tell me how to get there from the train station?!
b) any of you could just me in on a student's perspective of the course and uni; i.e. lecturer support (how much/willing to help?), use of facilities, accom, etc.

So yeah, hoping to hear back soon!
Ciao,
Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest