Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have previously worked before in a well known card store and received pay but my manager was very bad at communication . She told me about a P45 but I didn't understand it well enough , and since I was there for such a short time I didn't have time to figure out whether I had been taxed the right amount . So its wholely possible she may have not given me vital paperwork etc .

I'm starting a new job soon , when I get my first payslip what should I expect ? Am I expected to see a visible tax on the slip yet I will be automatically reimbursed within a given period ? Or does the tax just not show up at all as I may have previously sorted it out in my last job . Basically what is a payslip supposed to show and how can I know if I'm being taxed incorrectly ?

Sorry if I'm being quite vague guys , my last job manager didn't communicate very effectively and I was left in the dark about quite a lot . If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it immensely.

ReputationRep:
    Payslips are different depending on where you work. They should show what hours youve worked. What youve been paid. Any deductions, tax and national insurance paid.
    If you give a p45 or fill out a p46 before you offically start you will be put on the correct tax code. If not you will pay emergency tax.
    If this happens it will show on your payslip, as soon as you get it give HMRC a call and tell them you have been emergency taxed. You will then be put on correct tax code and receive any tax overpayment back in your next pay. Though this can take up to six weeks to be sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Were you given a P45 when you left your last job? If yes, give it to your new employer when you start. If no, contact your old employer and ask for it.

ReputationRep:
    under 7.something grand a year, is tax free.

ReputationRep:
    if you have p45, you won't be taxed. If you don't, your pay will be taxed but you'll get it back later-it normally sorts itself out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    if you have p45, you won't be taxed. If you don't, your pay will be taxed but you'll get it back later-it normally sorts itself out.
    You still get taxed with a p45.

Only time no-one gets taxed is if you earn less than the personnel allowance set by HMRC unless on emergence tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    under 7.something grand a year, is tax free.
    This tax year (just started in April) the threshold before you start getting taxed is £9440.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    This tax year (just started in April) the threshold before you start getting taxed is £9440.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the update

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    Were you given a P45 when you left your last job? If yes, give it to your new employer when you start. If no, contact your old employer and ask for it.
    alternatively submit a P46 via your new employer ... and get HMRC to do the leg work

the worst case scenario is that you get an BR or 0T tax code for the first few weeks / month and then get it refunded once your employer has the correct tax coding for you. especially with the 'live' submission now required

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    Do you understand what a P45 is ?

as it appears not

for the ignorant or hard of understanding a P45 is a summary of your earnings and tax paid so far this tax year with that employer.

presenting a P45 to a new employer generally ensures that your tax is near enough correct from your first pay packet with the new employer - barring issues with BiK but that is less relevant to typical jobs compared to those with extensive none cash components to the package ( company cars and the like)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smartcook)
    You still get taxed with a p45.

Only time no-one gets taxed is if you earn less than the personnel allowance set by HMRC unless on emergence tax.

(Original post by zippyRN)
    Do you understand what a P45 is ?

as it appears not

for the ignorant or hard of understanding a P45 is a summary of your earnings and tax paid so far this tax year with that employer.

presenting a P45 to a new employer generally ensures that your tax is near enough correct from your first pay packet with the new employer - barring issues with BiK but that is less relevant to typical jobs compared to those with extensive none cash components to the package ( company cars and the like)
    i was talking about emergency tax, he won't be taxed when he shouldn't be. From previous threads i've gathered that this is just a part time job for the OP so he is unlikely to be earning enough to pay tax. No need to be so rude.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.