Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm looking for some advice. I have been studying a long time i never knew what i wanted to do, i went college and took A level equivalents. i got a Btec National diploma in sport science. I passed but my grades were not great. during this time i found a love for the human body and how it works and repairs itself and i wanted to continue this so i completed a years course in foundation science. the chem part was not to my taste. after that year i went on to study a fdsc in rehabilitation and recovery which lasted two years! I have now topped this up. I am going into my final year hoping to receive a high 2:1 in physiotherapy.
    I've now learnt how the body itself can repair itself with a little help. But i find my self ever curious as to a means of treatment using medical and surgical procedures. I would really like to study medicine and have thoroughly researched my options i don't believe postgrad medicine of 4 years is best for me because of the limited number of places so would like to study the 5 year med course, as i said I'm on track to receive a high 2:1 in my degree but I'm concerned without the formal qualifications of A Levels that i might not meet standards.
    To sum it up does my lack of formal qualifications at A levels exclude me from perusing medicine???????? my btec covered all areas or anatomy and physiology, my foundation year covered chemistry and biology in depth and my physio degree covers advanced physical treatment and understanding of the body in scientific form??? what you guys think do i have a hope in hell of being considered??? any help would be really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do is do some research and email the admissions tutors at the short-listed uni's you would like to apply to as you have a very specific set of details. The uni's can review the chemistry content of your qualifications (email then a copy of your transcript) and will be able to tell you if it is adequate.

Try here as a start point:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...y_Requirements

You need a 2:1 for most uni's but you also have 2:2 uni's, SGUL, Nottingham and think it is Swansea but you also need to sit the GAMSAT.

Some unis require that you have A levels or equivalent as well as the 2:1 (e.g. Edinburgh) and some will only look at them if they are trying to differentiate between similar grads e.g. Dundee.

You need also to try and get some work experience/voluntary work. Have a look at some of the successful grad applicant profiles.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    A levels being absent won't pose any problems. I have none, just a level 3 access to science and Southampton would consider me just on this should I get a distinction. All chem must be which let me down. Doing an HND in applied biology now still aiming for medicine. If you've got level 6 you're fine so long as you show your level of competence.
    Good luck. You'll get there if you believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bufferz91)
    Hi everyone

I'm looking for some advice. I have been studying a long time i never knew what i wanted to do, i went college and took A level equivalents. i got a Btec National diploma in sport science. I passed but my grades were not great. during this time i found a love for the human body and how it works and repairs itself and i wanted to continue this so i completed a years course in foundation science. the chem part was not to my taste. after that year i went on to study a fdsc in rehabilitation and recovery which lasted two years! I have now topped this up. I am going into my final year hoping to receive a high 2:1 in physiotherapy.
    I've now learnt how the body itself can repair itself with a little help. But i find my self ever curious as to a means of treatment using medical and surgical procedures. I would really like to study medicine and have thoroughly researched my options i don't believe postgrad medicine of 4 years is best for me because of the limited number of places so would like to study the 5 year med course, as i said I'm on track to receive a high 2:1 in my degree but I'm concerned without the formal qualifications of A Levels that i might not meet standards.
    To sum it up does my lack of formal qualifications at A levels exclude me from perusing medicine???????? my btec covered all areas or anatomy and physiology, my foundation year covered chemistry and biology in depth and my physio degree covers advanced physical treatment and understanding of the body in scientific form??? what you guys think do i have a hope in hell of being considered??? any help would be really appreciated
    Perhaps do a degree in biochemistry or something like that an ace your exams and perhaps you'll be allowed to transfer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    Perhaps do a degree in biochemistry or something like that an ace your exams and perhaps you'll be allowed to transfer
    Perhaps they'll also found a real live Hogwarts and he/she can go become a wizard instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Perhaps they'll also found a real live Hogwarts and he/she can go become a wizard instead.
    Sign me up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    People like you disgust me

Stop being a nay sayer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    People like you disgust me

Stop being a nay sayer!
    My point was that you evidently have no idea what you're talking about with 'transfers' and are giving him absolutely terrible advice. He will have a degree soon in Physiotherapy and that will be perfectly adequate for applying to Graduate Entry Medicine. How exactly did you think he was going to do another degree on top of that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.