Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

I'm 19 now and I've had a pretty poor couple of years which means I flunked my a levels and messed them up pretty bad. I went through a patch where I did well and got top-marks in one of my exams but then it all just fell apart. I'm now looking at doing distance learning a-levels with Oxford. I have a new motivation to work and achieve now and I'd like to get to university asap but there's some serious concerns I have which I was wondering whether you could help me with. The a-levels I'd like to take are maths, physics, economics and business studies. I'd also like to get on to an architectural engineering/civil engineering degree in the future.

1. Is it possible to do 3-4 fast-track a levels in one year? I'm willing to put everything in to it and revise like crazy. Is it possible from a time point of view?

2. Is it possible to do 3-4 fast track a levels in one year at all? I noticed that the exam taking reforms means it's no longer possible to do January exams so would that mean I'd do all the exams in June or is it not going to work like that anymore?

3. Would universities care about my failed a-levels before? I did 3 a-levels before and didn't do great on them, Cs and Ds most likely. Would a university care about them if I say... got As in these new a-levels I take?

4. Would it be possible to apply for university whilst taking these fast-track a levels or would it have to be the following year when I have my results etc?

5. Is there anyone I can get in contact with that can help me with this? Like... connexxions or some sort of careers advice center? I have tons of questions and the uncertainty of my future is killing me.

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoraclesl)
    Hey.

I'm 19 now and I've had a pretty poor couple of years which means I flunked my a levels and messed them up pretty bad. I went through a patch where I did well and got top-marks in one of my exams but then it all just fell apart. I'm now looking at doing distance learning a-levels with Oxford. I have a new motivation to work and achieve now and I'd like to get to university asap but there's some serious concerns I have which I was wondering whether you could help me with. The a-levels I'd like to take are maths, physics, economics and business studies. I'd also like to get on to an architectural engineering/civil engineering degree in the future.

1. Is it possible to do 3-4 fast-track a levels in one year? I'm willing to put everything in to it and revise like crazy. Is it possible from a time point of view?

2. Is it possible to do 3-4 fast track a levels in one year at all? I noticed that the exam taking reforms means it's no longer possible to do January exams so would that mean I'd do all the exams in June or is it not going to work like that anymore?

3. Would universities care about my failed a-levels before? I did 3 a-levels before and didn't do great on them, Cs and Ds most likely. Would a university care about them if I say... got As in these new a-levels I take?

4. Would it be possible to apply for university whilst taking these fast-track a levels or would it have to be the following year when I have my results etc?

5. Is there anyone I can get in contact with that can help me with this? Like... connexxions or some sort of careers advice center? I have tons of questions and the uncertainty of my future is killing me.

Thanks for any help!
    1. Not realistic. You could probably fast track Maths and Physics. You'd struggle to fast track Econ and Business, especially in conjunction with that.

2. You are correct.

3. Possibly. You'll need to explain your situation. You can spin your dedication in coming back to them and self teaching into a positive which overrules this though,

4. Nothing stops you from applying. You would be very lucky to get any offers, though for the sake of just over £20 why not give it a go?

5. Your old school may help - you'll need to find somewhere that allows you to sit exams as an external candidate. I can recommend https://www.khanacademy.org/ for maths tuition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    1. Not realistic. You could probably fast track Maths and Physics. You'd struggle to fast track Econ and Business, especially in conjunction with that.

2. You are correct.

3. Possibly. You'll need to explain your situation. You can spin your dedication in coming back to them and self teaching into a positive which overrules this though,

4. Nothing stops you from applying. You would be very lucky to get any offers, though for the sake of just over £20 why not give it a go?

5. Your old school may help - you'll need to find somewhere that allows you to sit exams as an external candidate. I can recommend https://www.khanacademy.org/ for maths tuition.
    Thanks for the help. I'm concerned about point two though. Can you not take all the tests in one year or...? Also, for point one I thought that maths and physics would be the harder a-levels, I haven't done too much research into the business and economics a-levels but I was expecting them to be easier than maths and physics. Are you completely sure it wouldn't be possible?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.