Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Silly things said in football. Watch

ReputationRep:
    A thread for all of the breathtaking inanity spoken by fans, pundits, journalists, players, managers, commentators, and anybody else commenting on football.

Anecdotes can be funny, a bit dim, simply plain wrong, or just utterly cretinous.

Here's a starter, off the BBC football live feed:

"You'd have thought with that Emmanuel Eboue screamer against Real Madrid that his mate Gervinho would be in fine form today..."

Why, Matt in London, why? What caused you to think that was an interesting, amusing or profound thought about...anything? :confused:

"If football was played based on boxing's points system, Liverpool would be top of the table."

But it's not, Nikhil Patil, which means that taking chances is actually quite an important part of the game.

I open the floor to you...

ReputationRep:
    When talking about a team that is 1 or 2-0 down: "They could really do with a goal". No **** Sherlock.

ReputationRep:
    The words of wisdom from the great pundit that is Alan Shearer:

"If only that ball was better, he would have scored."

ReputationRep:
    ''goals change games'' :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    "We haven't been scoring goals, but football's not just about scoring goals. It's about winning."

Shearer

ReputationRep:
    "Every time #bbcfootball mentions Sheffield Wednesday, it makes me crave cheese. Maybe because 'Wednesday' looks like 'Wensleydale'."

Kit Marsden may have said the most inconsequential, mundane thing ever said about football, anywhere, ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    ''goals change games'' :zomg:
    Ah, yes, thank you for reminding me of this particular piece of nonsense. Of the same variety:

'The first goal is so important.'

And

'The next goal is so important'. (At 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-0, 3-0, 3-2...)

Stop the press. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Manish and Claridge just waffle throughout the entire Football League Show :lol:

ReputationRep:
    "Benitez has come in and now Torres isn't playing with his back to goal"

Wtf were the other managers doing?

ReputationRep:
    Bad time to concede

ReputationRep:
    'If they score more goals than the other team, they'll win.'

ReputationRep:
    'It's a game of 2 halves'

ReputationRep:
    "Let's hire Andy Townsend".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salander)
    'It's a game of 2 halves'
    [When a team is losing at half time/is losing in the first half]: 'They'll need to do better in the second half'.

ReputationRep:
    "The thing about goalscorers is that they score goals" - TONY COTTEE
    "Mario Balotelli is like Marmite, you either love him or hate him. Me, I'm between" - JOE ROYLE

"
    "Sheffield Wednesday are third in the table. You couldn't be any higher" - IAN ABRAHAMS
    A few memorable quotes. Also anything that comes out of Chris Kamara's mouth. I love the guy for it though.

ReputationRep:
    "Germany had 11 internationals out there today"

One of my favourites but can't remember who said it

ReputationRep:
    4th place trophy.

ReputationRep:
    Stuart Pearce: 'I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel'

ReputationRep:
    "Arsenal are in with a chance to win a trophy here"

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.