Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Afternoon TSR :wavey:

So I won the Transformation contest and as a result I got £100 to spend at Maxiraw. However, I don't know the best products to buy :unsure:

For goals have been to lose weight and eventually build muscle. I've lost almost 2 stones since December and I want to lose about another stone and a half. In addition, I also have started weight training in addition to my martial arts training (Jiu Jitsu twice a week).

I want supplements to help with my goals whilst also enhancing my performance during training. I know that people say I should get protein but I don't know what's the best one to get :unsure: In addition to that, my friend mentioned to me creatine but I'm not sure what are the major pros on that. And what about the best vitamins to get?

I know this seems like a lot but I am still a n00b to this and I want to keep progressing more then I have already done.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Creatine is the #1 supplement I would recommend, a quick google search will tell you all you need to know about it. Whey protein for your post-workout shakes is useful but not necessary. Also a good multivitamin/mineral tablet might be useful if you don't feel as though you're getting in enough micronutrients from your diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    Creatine is the #1 supplement I would recommend, a quick google search will tell you all you need to know about it. Whey protein for your post-workout shakes is useful but not necessary. Also a good multivitamin/mineral tablet might be useful if you don't feel as though you're getting in enough micronutrients from your diet.
    This, every other supplement is really worth nothing but the name
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Okay

In my blog last night, I wrote what I am thinking of getting: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=184

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Whey protein works wonders for me, and it can even replace meals if you have two scoops of the stuff - tends to keep me full for a while. I know nothing about Creatine unfortunately.

A good supplement for weight loss is supposed to be "green tea extract" as green tea has proven fat burning abilities if taken in decent amounts.

As for vitamins, I find a good B vitamin complex is the most useful - seems to sharpen me up, too. You can find plenty of good ones on Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Whey protien - reflex is amazing but tad expensive.

Creatine Monohydrate to increase weights by 10-20kg, amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llegend)
    Whey protien - reflex is amazing but tad expensive.

Creatine Monohydrate to increase weights by 10-20kg, amazing.
    Looking forward to doing them 30kg lateral raises after starting taking my creatine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaden)
    Looking forward to doing them 30kg lateral raises after starting taking my creatine!
    obviously your lateral raises wont jump from 10kg to 30kg by taking creatine but they will increase by 3-8kg.

ReputationRep:
    obviously your lateral raises wont jump from 10kg to 30kg by taking creatine but they will increase by 3-8kg.
    Sorry brah your wrong can only just get dem 2kgs up atm (not srs), creatine will help you squeeze out a few more reps, nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry brah your wrong can only just get dem 2kgs up atm (not srs), creatine will help you squeeze out a few more reps, nothing more.
    I find it hard to believe as (personally) my bicep curl jumped from 30kg to 40-45kg after I had loaded with creatine (4 days), as well as all my other weights.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe as (personally) my bicep curl jumped from 30kg to 40-45kg after I had loaded with creatine (4 days), as well as all my other weights.
    If that's a Db curl your describing its absolute tosh, if it was barbell you probably had it in you to up the weight anyway and if your using creatine mono there's no need to load.

ReputationRep:
    If that's a Db curl your describing its absolute tosh, if it was barbell you probably had it in you to up the weight anyway and if your using creatine mono there's no need to load.
    Talking about Barbell, but I see our creatine experiences differ haha.

ReputationRep:
    ye creatine and whey for performance. Biggest difference for health would be vitamin D3.

ReputationRep:
    ZMA for minerals etc as this can sometimes increase testosterone
    Often multivitamins can be too expensive... For what you get. I found some supermarkets were ALOT less expensive compared to the bodybuilding stuff which was the same "ingredients"

Creatine will make a big difference..

Protein... Unless its like super low calories then I wouldn't bother too much with weight loss/ leaning up

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.