Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    So I have received 3 replies out of 4 Universities with 2 conditionals (mainly financial etc) and one rejection (sad, but I gotta move on, right?). I'm still waiting for one of the university, which is Chester.
    The two that I got pretty much accepted were Lincoln University and Bournemouth University. I have researched both, and the problem is that they both sound pretty good.
    So the course I've applied for Lincoln University is MA Media Production, and MA Producing Film and Television at Bournemouth University.
    I'm also applying for MA Television Production at Chester University.
    I really would like to get a job in the UK after graduating (I'm an international student) and was hoping to get into a more practical course so I could gain more experience.
    Could anyone give me their opinions about these courses in these Universities? And also, if you are also applying to the same unis, could I get some of your opinions as well??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak about Bournemouth in your list. Whilst it doesn't tickle the upper reaches of any academic lead tables for most of its subjects, its Media School is internationally recognised.

- Films in the most recent Oscar nominated list involved over 80 Bournemouth Media School graduates.
    - They have excellent industry links and regularly have visiting speakers from the real world of film, television and media.
    - The documentary maker who exposed the care home scandal last year was a Bournemouth graduate who won a BAFTA for it.
    - It houses the National Centre for Computer Animation - whilst not in your direct field, that carries major kudos which is inherited by the entire Media School.
    - Avatar employed 50 Bournemouth graduates (including the Animation Supervisor).

I'll admit to being a bit of a starry-eyed outsider though - a friend of mine did a computer animation Masters there, and was in New Zealand working on the Lord of the Rings films six months after graduating. He released his first film a couple of years ago which debuted at Cannes and is currently working on his next as Director. Whatever Bournemouth did for him seems to have worked, but I know he absolutely bust a gut in his year there and hasn't stopped plugging since. It's a demanding field to keep pace with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I can only speak about Bournemouth in your list. Whilst it doesn't tickle the upper reaches of any academic lead tables for most of its subjects, its Media School is internationally recognised.

- Films in the most recent Oscar nominated list involved over 80 Bournemouth Media School graduates.
    - They have excellent industry links and regularly have visiting speakers from the real world of film, television and media.
    - The documentary maker who exposed the care home scandal last year was a Bournemouth graduate who won a BAFTA for it.
    - It houses the National Centre for Computer Animation - whilst not in your direct field, that carries major kudos which is inherited by the entire Media School.
    - Avatar employed 50 Bournemouth graduates (including the Animation Supervisor).

I'll admit to being a bit of a starry-eyed outsider though - a friend of mine did a computer animation Masters there, and was in New Zealand working on the Lord of the Rings films six months after graduating. He released his first film a couple of years ago which debuted at Cannes and is currently working on his next as Director. Whatever Bournemouth did for him seems to have worked, but I know he absolutely bust a gut in his year there and hasn't stopped plugging since. It's a demanding field to keep pace with.

Sorry for the late reply. I just had some really awful internet. Thanks for the great opinion and info
    It's really great to hear from somebody who knows the place (or knows somebody who knows the place...)
    Great stuff hearing about your friend! Amazing! I hope my experience there could help me as well. I do know its a very demanding and hard field so I'm determined to give all I got. I just hope the results are great like your friend
    Anyways, thank you for your reply, it did help me make my choice.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.