Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Edit edit: I chose the HTC One in the end :adore::^_^:

See below for picture sample in low light compared to Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

Edit:

I am now considering either of these two devices.

Samsung GS4:
    13mp camera
    Bigger screen
    Better battery life (supposedly)
    Latest jellybean (4.2)
    Smart pause/smart scroll features
    Works with gloves...

HTC One advantages:
    2 front-facing stero speakers
    Call quality
    Premium build
    Zoe/better low-light pictures
    Blinkfeed
    higher pixel density

I don't know. They both seem like really good phones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    So... I'm upgrading to either one of these next month. Never had an iPhone before but I have an iPad which I enjoy using. Every Samsung I have had keeps crashing all the time. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Which one would you consider?

Even though I like the customisation on Android, I think I could live without it if it meant no crashing/freezing. The Samsung's 13mp camera is tempting though as I take a lot of pictures. Syncing to my iPad would be easier with an iPhone.

Are the apps really "better" on iPhones? If so, in what way?

Thanks.
    It wouldn't be really fair to compare the two as this is Samsung's 2013 phone. Rumour has it that the iPhone 5S / 6 is going to be released June/July time

Appwise - iOS apps are better moderated and there are fewer "junk" apps to go through, but most major apps will be on both appstores

ReputationRep:
    At this current moment - Galaxy S4, otherwise you might as well wait to see what Apple's next offering is (if it's just a 5 'S' then please, look the other way.)

And another thing is android gives you a higher degree of freedom ... At least I could download MP3/MP4 files off the internet and use them straight away, without the hassle of iTunes...but that's just me, some people prefer the simpler Apple experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    Are the apps really "better" on iPhones? If so, in what way?
    The basic reason is that they can be properly optimised much more easily. Apple have only ever used three screen resolutions and a relatively small number of chipsets in their iPhone/iPod Touch line, meaning developers can build apps from the ground up with only a few permutations to consider. In comparison Android apps have to go for more of a "one size fits all" approach, accommodating for an enormous variety of display sizes, resolutions, internal components, and Android builds. This is becoming increasingly less of an issue, especially if you're buying a high end Android phone, but from my time using iOS and Android (I use a Nexus 4 now) you tend to get a more consistent experience on Apple's platform.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm now considering the S4 or the HTC One. I think they would be a closer comparison. See OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    Edit:

Samsung GS4:
    13mp camera
    Bigger screen
    Better battery life
    Micro SD Card support
    Latest jellybean (4.2 They'll be the same in time. No real difference
    Works with gloves...

HTC One advantages:

2 front-facing stero speakers + Better sound quality via headphones
    Call quality Not a difference
    Premium build
    Blinkfeed
    higher pixel densityle Won't make a visible difference

Both phones are great. You've pretty much done the research already. But i'd change a couple of your points as shown above^

It really depends which phone design you like.

The HTC One is better for music and low light pictures but the Galaxy S4 can store more music (and other files) on the phone via a Micro SD card and can take better HD Video/standard lighting pictures.

The S4 has a better battery life and bigger screen. But the HTC still has good battery life and the screen is still amazing on the HTC and very similar to the S4. So no major differences here.

It really depends on whether you need to have the features on the S4 like the gloves/gimmicks. Or whether you'd prefer the features on the One like the low light camera and Better speakers and blinkfeed.

Just break it down into small chunks. For me personally i need a micro sd card so the S4 is my best choice. For my friend he wanted good speakers and audio and a phone that looked good so went for the HTC One.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If price wasn't an issue I'd get the S4.
    I've (briefly) used the S1, S2 and S3 and been very impressed with them all.
    I have used some model of an HTC, though I've no idea which. I didn't like it much, although I don't think it was their flagship model and smartphone technology has improved since then anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Both phones are great. You've pretty much done the research already. But i'd change a couple of your points as shown above^

It really depends which phone design you like.

The HTC One is better for music and low light pictures but the Galaxy S4 can store more music (and other files) on the phone via a Micro SD card and can take better HD Video/standard lighting pictures.

The S4 has a better battery life and bigger screen. But the HTC still has good battery life and the screen is still amazing on the HTC and very similar to the S4. So no major differences here.

It really depends on whether you need to have the features on the S4 like the gloves/gimmicks. Or whether you'd prefer the features on the One like the low light camera and Better speakers and blinkfeed.

Just break it down into small chunks. For me personally i need a micro sd card so the S4 is my best choice. For my friend he wanted good speakers and audio and a phone that looked good so went for the HTC One.
    (Original post by Manitude)
    If price wasn't an issue I'd get the S4.
    I've (briefly) used the S1, S2 and S3 and been very impressed with them all.
    I have used some model of an HTC, though I've no idea which. I didn't like it much, although I don't think it was their flagship model and smartphone technology has improved since then anyway.

Thanks. I'm not too bothered about the MicroSD slot because of Spotify and my pictures usually get uploaded to online storage. 32GB is more than enough. I've had an HTC in the past which I loved (but was unfortunately stolen) and I have an S2 atm, but generally prefer HTCs.
    The thing which is appealing is the HTC camera in low light. I take pics in concerts, restaurants during the evening, and generally indoor pics, so I think that is enough to sway me towards the HTC.

Still got a month to decide anyway. Anyone else deciding between these phones? What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    If taking photos indoors is your priority, and like most, you're not bothered about using an sd card, the htc one is the easy choice. The camera is the best I've ever used on a smartphone, given that pretty much all photos are sub optimal lighting, and so the htc one performs really well.

The speakers, for music, wow. It's loud and bassey, no need to attach a speaker dock when listening to music whilst getting dressed to go out clubbing.

The premium feel is great, it's the most premium feeling phone constructed to date, trumping the iphone5.

The only things in looking forward to when I get the S4 as well is the thin bezel and wider screen. Coming from a nexus 4, with its beautiful edge to edge screen, the htc one can feel too narrow, sometimes, although my housemate prefers his like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    Thanks. I'm not too bothered about the MicroSD slot because of Spotify and my pictures usually get uploaded to online storage. 32GB is more than enough. I've had an HTC in the past which I loved (but was unfortunately stolen) and I have an S2 atm, but generally prefer HTCs.
    The thing which is appealing is the HTC camera in low light. I take pics in concerts, restaurants during the evening, and generally indoor pics, so I think that is enough to sway me towards the HTC.

Still got a month to decide anyway. Anyone else deciding between these phones? What do you think?
    I just bought an HTC One, and what I can tell you, if you do buy this phone don't put a case on it...it feels and looks amazing! That sounds like a dumb advice but you will see what i mean when you try it out.

Performance wise, I have yet to see any lag from the phone (mind you I have only been using it for a day or two). The camera is good especially when you consider it's 4MP. The screen is amazing as well! I can't comment on battery life yet, since i haven't used the phone that much yet, but from what i can see, it has a pretty standard battery life. It would get you through the day at least.

Now back to the original question One or S4. The S4 has definitely better specs, but in real life situation you will never or barely notice that. I can't really comment on anything else on the S4 as I don't have it xD. But I am sure that both phones are good and it's purely on personal preference!

P.S. I forgot to mention. There is one thing i don't like about the htc One. The power button is flushed in a bit too much, so when you try to turn it on or unlock the phone, you might need put a bit more pressure than with other phones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    HTC One advantages:

2 front-facing stero speakers + Better sound quality via headphones
    Just a quick point of contention here, in that it remains to be seen whether or not the One will in fact have better sound quality through the headphone jack (I'm definitely not contesting it has better speakers). The hardware in HTC's headphone circuitry is rarely more than pedestrian, which they then augment with Beats Audio which at best is an easily matched EQ curve. Samsung on the other hand have been known to use high quality DACs in their flagship line, making them pretty popular among audiophiles.

Of course this is assuming the user has headphones capable of articulating the difference between different source components, if not then they'll basically sound identical :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    For some reason i cant get my hands on an htc one to play around with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenDeath)
    I just bought an HTC One, and what I can tell you, if you do buy this phone don't put a case on it...it feels and looks amazing! That sounds like a dumb advice but you will see what i mean when you try it out.
    I've put a case on mine to stop it getting hammered in my day to day life. First time I've ever had a phone case!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by x_x)
    Edit:

Samsung GS4:
    13mp camera
    Bigger screen
    Better battery life (supposedly)
    Latest jellybean (4.2)
    Works with gloves...

HTC One advantages:
    2 front-facing stero speakers
    Call quality
    Premium build
    Blinkfeed
    higher pixel density

Both are great phones. They were the two I ended up narrowing my decision too, after rejecting the Nexus 4 and XPeria Z. Really this comes down to personal preference. I chose the HTC One as I fell in love with the design and decided I would prefer that over the S4.

Here are a few things to consider though.

The camera on the HTC might only be 4megapixle, but it takes brilliant pictures. I would say it's the perfect phone camera astound atm because it works in so many different conditions so easily. If you go out on a night out and compare pictures with those taken by the iPhone 5 of the same night with those of the HTC the HTC photoes are much better. 13 megapixels is only really useful if you're blowing a picture up, and as most shots taken with a phone camera won't be atlarged any more than a computer screen at most the pixel count really isn't as important as the camera quality and software behind it and here the HTC is the best I've seen.

The S4 works with gloves, but you can already get special gloves for a couple of quid that will work on any touchscreen. The S4 has a lot of gimmicks like the smart pause, but eye tracking will come to all android phones (at least 4.0+ at least) before long in the form of an app (in watching you umoove) though I can't see it as being something that would be moved frequently enough to base a decision on. Of course the HTC has it's own gimmic like this and I think it beats those offered by the S4. The TV app and IR in the power button allows the HTC to act as a tv remote and it even tells you which of the programs you tell it you like are on and lets you change the TV to the station they ate on with a single click on the phone.

The battery life on either will be shockingly bad tbh. The HTC won't get me through a day if I'm not careful and the S4 won't be any different. For either (or indeed any powerful smartphone tbh) I would recommend considering an external battery of some kind. With the S4 you'll be able to get one that attaches to your phone as it has a removable battery, though this will make your phone more bulky. I got a 12k mAh (so it can recharge the HTC battery several times over) portable charger from amazon for about £30 which allows me to charge up to 2 devices through usb leads. This battery then can just sit at the bottom of my bag.

I used a similar trick to get around the limited storage. I store stuff I won't need for a while on the dropbox storage that you get with the phone, but I also have a USB OTG cable (about £1 on amazon) that allows me to plug any USB storage device into the phone. I can then move files from the phone to the USB stick and vice versa.

The higher pixel density on the HTC shouldn't be a concern. Unless you have eagle like vision you won't be able to see individual pixels on either.

As you point out, the S4 is a slightly newer android version. This is pure sceculation, but I don't expect the HTC to get 4.2 at all. The Google I/O event is is May and they are expected to announce the next version of android (Key Lime Pie) which may be 5.0. I think HTC will work on getting this update out to the HTC One as quickly as they can though. HTC may have made the first android phone but they have been out marketed by Samsung and they really need the HTC one to compete with the latest offerings from Samsung. Of course if you really want the latest android on either devie you could always root it and install a custom rom.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way of removing Blinkfeed from one of the homescreens? Really doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Is there any way of removing Blinkfeed from one of the homescreens? Really doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
    You can't remove it but you can put another homescreen as your main one

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I decided on the HTC One and it's brilliant! So glad I got this one. You can download GoLauncher Ex if you don't like HTC sense. I really like the speakers on this phone, and music is a dream with the headphones. Camera is wonderful too. *gushes*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand this 'ultrapixel' thing, is it better or worse than 13 megapixel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    I don't really understand this 'ultrapixel' thing, is it better or worse than 13 megapixel?
    It has a more advanced lens and sensor which means that it's able to capture more light, which results in amazing low light pics.

I took some pics in a dark room just to test the HTC One compared to my mum's Samsung Galaxy Note 2, and I am impressed!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2:

HTC One:

Both cameras had flash switched off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_x)
    It has a more advanced lens and sensor which means that it's able to capture more light, which results in amazing low light pics.

I took some pics in a dark room just to test the HTC One compared to my mum's Samsung Galaxy Note 2, and I am impressed!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2:

HTC One:

Both cameras had flash switched off.
    wow that is really crap from the galaxy note 2, from the HTC one's pic, the room seems to be lit well enough and it was daytime as well (from what it seems), but the 1st pic made it look like the room was in virtual pitch black

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 26, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.