Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speaking with your animals Watch

ReputationRep:
    So it's estimated that dogs can learn around 165 words, and can be nearly as smart as a two year old. When you talk to your dog (or whatever pet) do they ever respond to words/commands you wouldn't expect?

My old dog (a greyhound) learned the word "shop", seeming to think it meant the same as "walk" as I'd sometimes take him if it was a quick shopping trip, but when I'd say to my mum "I'm off to the shop" he'd leap to attention, whether or not I planned to take him :P so we'd spell it out, but before long he even picked that up! Rather than being able to read I think he thought "S-H-O-P"/"essaitchohpee" was another word walkies :P

I know this one is certainly a coincidence, but I said pharaoh hounds looked really cool with their pointy ears, and he instantly moved his head slightly so his ears fell into a pointy shape :P
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. My cats definately respond to certain words. My snake just responds to my voice, I'm pretty sure.

ReputationRep:
    My dog that I had just laid on my lap, and only really came over for a snuggle.

It's weird though, because I could always tell it any secrets I had, and I knew it would be okay with them but I think that's a security issue.

ReputationRep:
    I once winked at my dog and it winked back. Most exciting five seconds of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I once winked at my dog and it winked back. Most exciting five seconds of my life.
    That happened to me too!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.