Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Russia in Revolution and Stalin's Russia (EDEXCEL AS History) - Predictions! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey dudes. What do you guys think will come up for the Russia topics for Edexcel AS History unit 1?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    A tad irrelevant but I have an excellent quote for an essay on the Purges from Stephen Cohen and I know that it's genuine because we were given a list of quotes from our teacher, but I cannot seem to find a book to reference it from and I can't lie in an official essay and my teacher can't really help. If someone knew it would be much appreciated, here's the quote:

"you cannot explain the Great Terror against the Party without focusing on Stalin’s personality."

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emanseru)
    A tad irrelevant but I have an excellent quote for an essay on the Purges from Stephen Cohen and I know that it's genuine because we were given a list of quotes from our teacher, but I cannot seem to find a book to reference it from and I can't lie in an official essay and my teacher can't really help. If someone knew it would be much appreciated, here's the quote:

"you cannot explain the Great Terror against the Party without focusing on Stalin’s personality."

Thanks
    Random question I know, but are you supposed to/will gain marks for including quotes or historian's arguments? I don't have any :/

ReputationRep:
    I hope for Russia in revolution it is:
    "To what extent were the Bolsheviks responsible for teachers downfall of the Provisional Government"

And for stalin I really really really want it to be
    "to what extent is the lend lease act responsible for the success of the soviet victory in ww2"

But a similar question came up in Jan 2013 for stalin so I doubt that
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post42320450

ReputationRep:
    For Stalin, which I did last year, I found that one of the two questions will always be either on the economy (five year plans or collectivisation) or the power struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmorningworld)
    Random question I know, but are you supposed to/will gain marks for including quotes or historian's arguments? I don't have any :/
    Quotes and historiography are kind of vital, it depends though, I'm not actually doing A levels, but Advanced Higher's and for them you must have historian's arguments. I presume it's the same though for A levels.

ReputationRep:
    This is next tuesday and I have no idea how to revise :O
    What is likely to come up for the Russia in Revolution Q?

ReputationRep:
    I think the five year plans or something to do with women and culture or the terror

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm hoping the Great Terror! It hasn't really come up as a solitary question either, so there's hope

ReputationRep:
    Can Someone please help me with structure of causation and change qns for this unit 1 paper. I'm ok with content but structure is a problem for me. (I blame my teachers for this!)Please can someone help me. Any help would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i think that the five year plans will come up.. what are everyones predictions for russia in revolution question? and has anyone got any good tips on the best way to revise??

ReputationRep:
    The edexcel revision guide I quite useful to revise from. It shortens everything down,& has example A grade essays

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for help on how to structure the causation and change qns. I really neeeeedddd helllp urgently......

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I also need help with this! Anyone got any revision materials as well?
    (Original post by fs1205)
    I'm still waiting for help on how to structure the causation and change qns. I really neeeeedddd helllp urgently......

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    R any of you doin the India topic for unit 2 on 22may?? I just hate having to deal with all the sources

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to structure/ answer the following question : how far did the economic position of industrial workers improve between 1928 and 1941?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattDowse)
    This is next tuesday and I have no idea how to revise :O
    What is likely to come up for the Russia in Revolution Q?
    There has always been a question about bolshevik consolidation of power or the fall of provisional goverment. I think its going to be the fall of PG because bolshevik consolidation of power has come up few times in a row.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fs1205)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got some useful notes on this in my textbook, so I can help you out a little.

Basically with Causation, you should do one paragraph for each factor, preferably with the factor in the question or the most important one first. For example:

How accurate is it say to say that the growth of reformist groups in the years from 1881 was the main cause for the 1905 Revolution?

- Growth of Reformist Groups (The groups themselves, their popularity, the things, such as urban conditions, which made them popular)
    - Peasant Unrest, Population Growth, High Taxes
    - Reactionary, Unrepresentative Government
    - Russo-Japanese War
    - Bloody Sunday and Protests

Then with Change, you should do several paragraphs with reasons and factors in favour of the question, and several paragraphs against (to be safe, probably a good idea to write a little more for whichever side you agree with). For example:

How far do you agree that the economy of Tsarist Russia was transformed in the years to 1914?

- Financial Reforms under Alexander III
    - Sergei Witte and the 'Great Spurt'
    - Stolypin's Reforms
    - Russia still very agrarian, unchanged
    - Still backwards compared to West

And that's all there is to it. The main thing is to just make sure you know whether the question is about Causation or about Change.

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanx it makes more sense now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.