Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is it like on a plane? watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

Thanks peeps!
    Well, it's noisy like a train, because of the engines. You might occasionally feel slightly heavier or lighter if the plane changes altitude at all, but really it's not that strange.
    EasyJet flights are fairly minimal - you'll be in a seat that's probably a row of 2 or 3, and they'll be a few TV screens dotted around the plain - they'll have graphics showing where you are/the time left, etc. Steward(esses) will come down the aisles offering drinks (which you'll have to pay for).

ReputationRep:
    You walk in the airport and check in your luggage- They weight it, check your passports/ tickets, send the luggage down the belt.

Then you go through security (take off metal stuff, walk through the x ray, get felt by another man/ woman if you're (un)lucky)

Then you wait in the departure lounge till the plane is ready for boarding- look around the shops or whatever.

Then when called you walk to the gate (follow the signs)

Wait in a queue at the gate

Then you either walk along the jet way to the plane (It's like a tunnel on stilts), or if the plane is parked away from the terminal you have to get a bus to the plane.

Then you show your ticket to the flight attendants and they check it.

Then you shove your hand luggage in the bits overhead or under the seat in front.

Then you wait for the plane to get clearance to taxi (While the FA check the cabin and do the safety stuff)

Then you take off (It's just like sitting in a car that's continuously accelerating)

Then you're in the clouds within no time

Then the FA walk down the plane with food/drink/lunch/duty free/ whatever

Then you land (Like hitting a pot hole then stopping quickly in a car)

Then you get off

Then you go into the terminal, they check your passport, maybe go through security again, collect luggage, walk out airport.

ReputationRep:
    Taking off is the best part, but you'll have to be patient since checking in usually takes ages!
    Since your flight is pretty short, you probably won't be bored but long haul flights seem to just drag on. Once you're at 35,000 feet, the plane feels very stationary, but turbulence can make you jump a little. If you're flying at night, look out for thunderstorms beneath you. The lightning is truly breathtaking!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks peeps!
    One thing that new flyers don't think about is the air pressure change, which is particularly bad if you have a cold (your Eustacian tubes get blocked). Take some mints or sweets that you can suck - that helps to equalise the pressure in your ear with that in the cabin.

Cabin seats are typically three-abreast, so think about whether you want a window seat or an aisle seat. Ditherers and late-comers get squashed into the middle seat, which isn't so good.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been on a plane twice and that was about 9 years ago so I can't give you exact details, however from those two experiences it's quite fun. I spent most of the time looking out the window at the world below. It's quite amazing being above the clouds and mountains and everything.

ReputationRep:
    Watch out for the snakes.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit weird, it gives you a funny feeling in your stomach when you take off. I always have this feeling like the plane is going to fall back down when i take off :lol: when you begin cruising its fine, you get used to it.

Don't worry if they plane starts jolting when you're going through clouds, it's just turbulence and happens on every flight i've ever been on. Also your ears will probably pop.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody great.

ReputationRep:
    The airport is worse than the actual flight

ReputationRep:
    My favourite part of flying is looking out of the window at the top of the clouds. (You can't do this if you're over a wing.)

To equalise your ears if they get tight as you go up or come down:
    - yawn;
    - waggle your bottom jaw;
    - hold your nose but blow through it (so the air doesn't come out); or
    - suck on some sweets.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks everyone for your replies

I'm so excited! The 3rd of June can't come quick enough haha.

The airport part sounds a lot worse than the flying tbh. I'm not a terrorist or anything like that but the security part probably would make me nervous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Watch out for the snakes.
    I love you.

Bring something to suck on (Ey Ey cheeky) and begin when the plane begins to descend onto the surface as it helps, and may avoid you having to pop your ears !! (Doesnt really hurt, just weird and unnatural for us groundsmen )! Sometimes the airplanes give out mints if your lucky.

Also try wear something comfortable, airplane seats aren't too comfortable especially for us peasants in economy where they are all packed ! Nothing worse than jeans and boxers which go up your waist!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The take off, ascent and landing are fairly cool, the rest of its no different from sitting on a train (unless you happen to have a window seat and there are no clouds, then its pretty cool).

ReputationRep:
    It's great fun.

Leave plenty of time to get to the airport and check in. I always get there stupidly early, avoid the queue and spend my time drinking coffee and reading. Read up on what you are allowed to take on the plane and what you should put in your suitcase.

Once you have checked in, you will go through security and into the departure area. There are usually screens which will tell you which gate your plane will depart from. Keep and eye on them - just like when you have to check which platform your train will depart from. Enjoy the surroundings - but don't get too drunk if you decide to have a few drinks.

When you board the aircraft, you will go to your allocated seat. There will be safety announcements and the plane will make its way to the runway. Then comes the best bit - take off! Some hate it - it gets quite noisy fairly quickly. You'll hear the engines spool up and you'll feel yourself being pushed along. You'll hear a lot of rattling too. The plane will then leave the ground... it's kind of like going up in a lift whilst also moving forward at about 140 miles and hour.

The cruise stage is like being on a coach, but with a better view (weather permitting).

Landing is like, as someone said, hitting a pot hole and then having the brakes slammed on.

Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    It's great. But if it's a long flight, remember to open the door and go outside for some fresh air every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    Rather dull. Before going to the airport check whether you need to check in online (some of budget airlines require you to) and be aware of liquid requirements on planes. When you get to the airport just follow the signs and be prepared for a dull wait, on the plane it's also quite dull. You might hit turbulence but it's rarely uncomfortable and completely harmless, landing is quite fun for me (I'm like a kid at that part), back through security once you're off the plane and collect any checked baggage.

Enjoy your trip, on the 3rd of June I'll have my last exam so I'm rather jealous!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    Rather dull. Before going to the airport check whether you need to check in online (some of budget airlines require you to) and be aware of liquid requirements on planes. When you get to the airport just follow the signs and be prepared for a dull wait, on the plane it's also quite dull. You might hit turbulence but it's rarely uncomfortable and completely harmless, landing is quite fun for me (I'm like a kid at that part), back through security once you're off the plane and collect any checked baggage.

Enjoy your trip, on the 3rd of June I'll have my last exam so I'm rather jealous!
    My last exam is the 31st May so I'm gonna need the holiday a few days later lol. Good luck with your exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn!)
    It's great. But if it's a long flight, remember to open the door and go outside for some fresh air every now and then.
    i lol'd

ReputationRep:
    My last exam is the 31st May so I'm gonna need the holiday a few days later lol. Good luck with your exams
    Thanks, good luck with yours. I'm actually off 5 days after my exams so shouldn't be too jealous haha.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.