Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who has/is thinking of converting from a course like History to Law, how easy is it it convert? Is a year long conversion too intense? Was it the right decision as opposed to doing a normal Law degree? :confused:

Please share any opinions or experiences - in need of help to make this decision!! haha..

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I had the same dilemma as you before Uni. I decided to do a history degree, rather than a law degree, simply because I knew that I would enjoy doing history more, and so I was more likely to do better - so I thought I should get as good a history degree as possible than convert.

The amount of people who take history with the intention of doing a conversion is actually really high, so I'd say that to really have a good chance of getting onto a law conversion course you need to have quite a lot of experience. Quite a lot of Universities has Law4NonLaw societies to provide opportunities/experience for non-law students who want to do a conversion course, and there's always quite a few opportunities available through careers centre. So I know that the one at the University of Leeds offers very specific guidance on law conversion courses and has a big database of experience opportunities and that kind of thing.

So I would say if you want to do a law conversion course, but think you'd do better at history/would enjoy a history degree more, then go with the history. You won't be the only person you'll meet with the same idea, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to get experience etc while you're at uni.

In terms of how difficult a conversion course is - I don't know - I've never done one myself, but I know that after three years of Uni you'd be surprised at how much work you can cram into such a short space of time!

Hope that helped haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe_Thomas25)
    I had the same dilemma as you before Uni. I decided to do a history degree, rather than a law degree, simply because I knew that I would enjoy doing history more, and so I was more likely to do better - so I thought I should get as good a history degree as possible than convert.

The amount of people who take history with the intention of doing a conversion is actually really high, so I'd say that to really have a good chance of getting onto a law conversion course you need to have quite a lot of experience. Quite a lot of Universities has Law4NonLaw societies to provide opportunities/experience for non-law students who want to do a conversion course, and there's always quite a few opportunities available through careers centre. So I know that the one at the University of Leeds offers very specific guidance on law conversion courses and has a big database of experience opportunities and that kind of thing.

So I would say if you want to do a law conversion course, but think you'd do better at history/would enjoy a history degree more, then go with the history. You won't be the only person you'll meet with the same idea, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to get experience etc while you're at uni.

In terms of how difficult a conversion course is - I don't know - I've never done one myself, but I know that after three years of Uni you'd be surprised at how much work you can cram into such a short space of time!

Hope that helped haha!
    Thank you!! It did. More reassured about the possibility of converting now, because before I thought if I did History I might lose track of what I wanted to do and end up nowhere without a Law degree but the help you get at uni about it sounds good.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.