Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey, i'm a final year student. I've always suffered with quite bad stress regarding deadlines while at uni, i'm a huge perfectionist and because my grades have been quite good (which feels like a fluke) I get massively stressed because I feel like everything I write will never meet the standard of the last piece. However after a bit of a shaky period with my emotional health over the summer I came back to third year and find it incredibly hard to tolerate/manage my stress levels...work has gotten incredibly time consuming due to my perfectionist habits surrounding writing and rewriting, reading and note taking getting a bit too meticulous, because I feel like i'm getting everything wrong/missing stuff out. I don't enjoy anything about studying anymore because it fills me with anxiety, even if i'm just reading an article! Last term this got so bad I ended up pretty much permenantly in tears and had to defer a module, which I was still incredibly nervous about this term, so even though I've submitted the work for it now I feel like its taken away valuable time from my other modules! I have a LOT of work to do and I severely doubt my ability to get it done on time. However i'm determined not to get into the state I was last term and instead of avoiding work and crying about it i've been forcing myself to go to the library every day and most evenings since the end of february, but it doesn't seem to be paying off because i've just become such a SLOW worker, and the closer I get to deadlines the more worried i'm getting, which makes it worse. That aside, the last few days I've been finding that as soon as I sit down to work I just get overcome by this intense feeling of lethargy and can barely keep my eyes open. I'll go for walks, have caffeine, drink water to try and wake myself up but it only works temporarily and I find myself really sleepy again quickly, which makes working very difficult. At night I'm not sleeping too badly - it's disjointed and I wake up during the night but i'm not lay awake for very long periods or anything when I do, definitely not losing enough sleep to feel THIS tired, is it a normal stress reaction to just want to sleep all the time? But i'm not sure what to do about it because I definitely won't get everything done if this carries on much longer, not least because I will start to massively panic!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I can relate to this in some ways, as I can be quite perfection striving at times and can find it can take me a long time to complete certain pieces of work too. I often notice essays take me a long time, where my friends can cope with doing it over one week, I can start a month before and not be done any sooner than those who start a few days before the deadline.

I think feeling tired definitely comes with stress, and will be something many people experience with heavy workloads. I think it could help to try and set yourself realistic goals, so to try and break it down... instead of thinking 'I've got loads of work', think what do I want to have achieved by the end of the week?, or what do I want to have done today or this evening? Then if you find you're not meeting those goals perhaps you need to ask yourself whether you are placing too much work upon yourself?, or whether it isn't the amount of work you are finding difficult but perhaps you are finding the work difficult to grasp or understand in which case talking to a tutor may be helpful.

It sounds good that you are doing work and not avoiding everything, as avoidance definitely wont help.
    I would see how things go over the next couple of days and if you really are finding things difficult I would recommend talking to your personal tutor or perhaps the counselling service at your university may be able to help. I know at my university they often have sessions for students to discuss problems with regards to workloads and procrastination.

I know university can be a high pressure environment, but I do hope things feel better for you,
    xx

P.S. though it can feel you have a lot to do, taking regular breaks in your day will be important to give your mind some time to de- stress and relax.

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry that you finding things so stressful and I can relate ALOT, in fact what you've written sounds like it would have came out of my mouth! I found it really useful to challenge how I am thinking:

Make time for yourself- go for a walk, have a bath, go to the cinema- I find that turning my brain off for a bit and calming down gives me a lot of perspective within my work and I get the biggest solutions to essay structural problems in the bath within a few of minutes of pondering whilst I can rack my brain about it for hours in front of my PC. Its not time wasted if you're bringing your blood pressure down and it will help with all that awful physiological effects of anxiety.

You might want to think about what triggers how you are feeling, the consequence and the beliefs you hold about that (ABC model) and keep a thoughts diary. I have found this amazing as a self help tool:
    http://www.studentsagainstdepression...ok_module6.pdf

I know its from a website that supports people with depression- I dont think you have depression and I wouldn't even let yourself go there in your mind, it sounds like you have enough on your plate.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I can relate so much to this. PM me if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget about your health. What's the use of a degree when you're bed ridden from being sick right?

Thank you for the advice guys... unfortunately i'm just getting myself into a mess :\ there's absolutely no way i'm going to get everything done on time, i've got another 11,000 words to write within 12 days (some due earlier than others) plus editing which would probably be ok if I could just WRITE but I can't get anything down that is good enough. I feel frozen to the spot and I keep bursting into tears, I left the library way earlier than I should've done yday because I just couldnt focus (and had only managed about half an hours sleep the night before) I meant to get to the library for 9 this morning (its now 11.00 and im still at home), but it hasn't happened because I keep getting all worked up. People always say to me "just write anything" when I get writers block so i've tried that but all i've ended up with is a load of glorified notes that I can't see how to structure or edit in a way that will get me a first so I sort of feel like i've gone backwards... its like even my draft versions arent coming out good enough! I don't know what to do, will have to suck it up and speak to my tutors I guess...

(Original post by darthgirlie)
    I am so sorry that you finding things so stressful and I can relate ALOT, in fact what you've written sounds like it would have came out of my mouth! I found it really useful to challenge how I am thinking:

Make time for yourself- go for a walk, have a bath, go to the cinema- I find that turning my brain off for a bit and calming down gives me a lot of perspective within my work and I get the biggest solutions to essay structural problems in the bath within a few of minutes of pondering whilst I can rack my brain about it for hours in front of my PC. Its not time wasted if you're bringing your blood pressure down and it will help with all that awful physiological effects of anxiety.

You might want to think about what triggers how you are feeling, the consequence and the beliefs you hold about that (ABC model) and keep a thoughts diary. I have found this amazing as a self help tool:
    http://www.studentsagainstdepression...ok_module6.pdf

I know its from a website that supports people with depression- I dont think you have depression and I wouldn't even let yourself go there in your mind, it sounds like you have enough on your plate.

I hope this helps.
    I actualyl was diagnosed with mild-moderate depression and generalised anxiety disorder last summer which i think has probably contributed to my increased stress levels/perfectionism... my self confidence was low already but its nose dived...had 10 weeks of cbt (+ 5 of counselling for family stuff) to try and improve my self-esteem but but i didnt find it helped that much. this probs sounds dramatic but i feel like I NEED a first in my degree because my good grades are all i've got going for me... which kinda lays the pressure on more and then I start feeling awful about myself on top of getting really stressed and blah I dunno.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.