Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will drinking red bull make me put on weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Just wanted some opinions
    I, like many, get very tired during the day whilst I'm meant to be revising. I know energy drinks such as red bull contain lots of sugar which is fattening but how much would I have to drink for that? Like just over exams would it make much of a difference?

And also what about the sugar free versions?

Also if anyone is completely against energy drinks and has any other ideas of how to foam energy/motivation please let me know!! (I eat healthily and go to the gym often so please don't suggest that)

Thank you

Sophie

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you could try the sugar free red bull?

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was considering but I pressume that must have bad things in it too haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you eat more calories than you burn on an average day you will gain weight. If you don't, you won't. It doesn't really matter what those calories are made up from. Red Bull is okay as part of a healthy balanced diet. If it becomes your only consumption then obviously a problem.

ReputationRep:
    If you only drank red bull and ate nothing else, I'm pretty sure you would lose weight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoRo)
    Hiya,

I, like many, get very tired during the day whilst I'm meant to be revising. I know energy drinks such as red bull contain lots of sugar which is fattening but how much would I have to drink for that? Like just over exams would it make much of a difference?

Also if anyone is completely against energy drinks and has any other ideas of how to foam energy/motivation please let me know!! (I eat healthily and go to the gym often so please don't suggest that)

Thank you

Sophie

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you really want to put on wieght go to your local take-away order 2 fillet burgers with chips and 1 drink.
    Do this continually for a week and trust me you'll put on wieght!

I hear you say, "How do you know, random internet person??!"
    Well my dear this is what i did when my mum wasn't home last week .
    That's how you put on weight but your asking something different.

Take some Pro-plus tablets, they keep you awake and fresh . I took them throughout my exam periods when doing A-levels

ReputationRep:
    Pro plus, but use with care!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoRo)
    Hiya,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you are really concerned then try the sugar free version, which has less calories. But tbh Red bull has about 40~ per 100ml which is comparable to orange juice, semi-skimmed milk, Coke or even vitamin water so not significantly more if you already drink these on a regular basis. So unless you were drinking an extra litre or so a day I doubt it would make any difference to your weight, and in fact if you are working intensely (even if not physically) you do burn more calories than just by say, surfing tsr.
    If you are worried about energy drinks being bad for you, then indeed sugar-free red bull as the exact same ingredients minus the sugar and there aren't really any 'healthy' stimulation drinks as such. If you want a more 'natural' caffienated beverage then go for tea or coffee. A large coffee has the same amount of caffiene as a red bull anyway.

(Original post by Booyah)
    If you only drank red bull and ate nothing else, I'm pretty sure you would lose weight...
    This is true....i actually know someone who lost a ridiculous amount of weight just living off sugared drinks and no solid food. However, she did have an eating disorder so this is of course very unhealthy!

ReputationRep:
    Sleep longer.

ReputationRep:
    Drink red bull total zero

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everybody is ignoring the fact that caffeine, high in Red Bull, can cause dehydration, which, in turn, can cause weight gain. So yes, it will cause weight gain.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you don't exercise regularly and drink enough water you will gain weight no matter what, but she was asking if she drank it just during exams will she gain weight...honestly, I don't think that will be a problem. If she drank them all day, everyday, then yes, that would be detrimental to her health and to her weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.