Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gay characters that aren't just gay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I often get angry at adverts for having the same heterosexual-housewife-cereal packet family every time but I realised the other day that TV shows are just as bad for it when it comes to gay characters.

Whenever a character is gay that seems to be all their character is about - or being horrifically camp really. Take shows like Glee or The New Normal, gay guys always seem to be portrayed as these cliche camp stereotypes, its pretty detrimental contrary to what the sort of people that watch these shows think.

Even when they're not stereotypical camp people the only point of these characters is to be gay and have their gay problems. The only example I could think of where a character was gay but that wasn't the defining part of his character and role in the story was Maxie from Skins season 1. can you think of any more?

ReputationRep:
    I think Mitch from Modern Family is quite good... though I suppose he fits the stereotype more than not...

I'll have to get back to you on that one :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Callie and Arizona from Grey's but they're women.

Apparently there's a gay guy in Teen Wolf that is pretty counter-stereotype, but I don't really watch it...

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with you here, although to be honest there are a lot of gay people in real life who are pretty much defined by it in my experience. But yeah, all in all I agree with what you said. I think Blaine is actually a lot better for this in Glee than Kurt, at least he has the whole thing of how he used to be in the Warblers and all that. But yeah you're right.

ReputationRep:
    David Fisher from six feet under? there was a big storyline about coming to grips with himself etc. but he wasn't sterotypically flamboyant like you see in some tv shows. I loved six feet under.

ReputationRep:
    Kieren in In the Flesh. A quite new show.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Syed and Christian (couldn't have picked more ironic names) from Eastenders weren't camp.

ReputationRep:
    Brendan, Ste and Doug from Hollyoaks?

ReputationRep:
    I feel that Will from Will and Grace seems to be just an average guy who is by chance gay, although Jack very much does have the typical flamboyance. Doctor Who also seems to be good at having gay characters without perpetuating/obsessing over stereotypes. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Friends was pretty good for gay characters not being too stereotypical - Carol and Susan weren't, and neither was that guy Phoebe married so he could have a green card ... oh hang on a minute, didn't he turn out not to be gay after all? Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    David walliams having just watched bgt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodDay)
    I often get angry at adverts for having the same heterosexual-housewife-cereal packet family every time but I realised the other day that TV shows are just as bad for it when it comes to gay characters.

Whenever a character is gay that seems to be all their character is about - or being horrifically camp really. Take shows like Glee or The New Normal, gay guys always seem to be portrayed as these cliche camp stereotypes, its pretty detrimental contrary to what the sort of people that watch these shows think.

Even when they're not stereotypical camp people the only point of these characters is to be gay and have their gay problems. The only example I could think of where a character was gay but that wasn't the defining part of his character and role in the story was Maxie from Skins season 1. can you think of any more?
    In Game of thrones one gay character is one of the best swordsman and the other nearly led an army to try and be king, but that didn't really take off...
    I would say both of them are definitely not stereotypical camp people

ReputationRep:
    Willow and Tara from Buffy?

I can't think of a male example though. I agree that gay characters tend to be defined by their sexuality. I think it's an extension of real-life perceptions. However open-minded people think they are, people often place a homosexual's sexuality as their most important descriptor. If a celebrity comes out as gay, it is newspaper worthy. To me, in an ideal world, saying 'I'm gay' should be no more groundbreaking than saying 'I've got size 9 feet'. Sexuality should be just one of many things which describe you - on par with your interests, the people important to you, your hobbies, your ambitions, etc.

It doesn't help that some (note, 'some') gay people do make their sexuality define them. Analogous to any oppressed group, gay people had to 'be proud' of their sexuality in order to fight for equality - in the same way that ethnic minority groups are often far prouder of their heritage than majority groups. But the flipside to that is this problem of becoming defined by something that shouldn't define you.

I've probably thought about this too much...

ReputationRep:
    Andrew Van De Kamp from Desperate Housewives

Sure his appearances did often feature LGBT storylines - Season 1 and Season 2 much much more than any other season, but what about in Season 3 when his main role was protecting Bree, and Season 6 when he got jealous about how much power his half brother had in Bree's business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    Andrew Van De Kamp from Desperate Housewives

Sure his appearances did often feature LGBT storylines - Season 1 and Season 2 much much more than any other season, but what about in Season 3 when his main role was protecting Bree, and Season 6 when he got jealous about how much power his half brother had in Bree's business
    That's a good one, I forgot about him.

ReputationRep:
    On the glee note it's not always the case. I'd hardly say Blaine is camp, neither was Sebastian or that football player character who attempted suicide. Really the only one who lives up to the stereotype is Kurt.

ReputationRep:
    In Revenge, Nolan is bisexual, and it's not really some big revelation or anything. It's just part of his character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodDay)

On New Normal, one of the guys fits the stereotype but the other guy doesnt fit it in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingshame)
    On the glee note it's not always the case. I'd hardly say Blaine is camp, neither was Sebastian or that football player character who attempted suicide. Really the only one who lives up to the stereotype is Kurt.
    Sue Sylvester ... I think - I know Jane Lynch is a lesbian in real life. As for Sue, I don't really think her love life has been explored at all, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The entire former cheerio squad leaders (other than Becky)

Come to think about it, a high majority of the Glee Club are gay. Is it me or is that slightly unrealistic? It's not a bad thing at all, it's just it's not very reflective of real life.

As for whoever said the new normal, you cant really use that show. The whole premise is about dealing with LGBT issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    In Revenge, Nolan is bisexual, and it's not really some big revelation or anything. It's just part of his character.
    How good is revenge getting, I'm watching it online (alongside when it airs in America). I know its just a show but I always get impressed at how quickly they seem to forge plans together lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.