Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just been to the applicant day where someone asked the policy on visitors in student halls. We were told we were allowed 3 visits a semester and it has to be previously authorised by everybody in the flat and then the people in charg. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I'm a mature student, I'm not being told who I can have stay and when and having to get a petition signed if I'm paying a hundred pounds a week (which is the same as I previously rented a whole 2 bedroom house in Leeds). What if one flatmate hates you and refuses to sign? Does anyone know how strict the uni is on this and if any private halls share a similar policy. Most I've seen have just said occasional visitors are allowed, respect your flatmates and obviously don't move somebody into your room, which is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizzee_Ragdoll)
    I've just been to the applicant day where someone asked the policy on visitors in student halls. We were told we were allowed 3 visits a semester and it has to be previously authorised by everybody in the flat and then the people in charg. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I'm a mature student, I'm not being told who I can have stay and when and having to get a petition signed if I'm paying a hundred pounds a week (which is the same as I previously rented a whole 2 bedroom house in Leeds). What if one flatmate hates you and refuses to sign? Does anyone know how strict the uni is on this and if any private halls share a similar policy. Most I've seen have just said occasional visitors are allowed, respect your flatmates and obviously don't move somebody into your room, which is fair enough.
    I ve read that for overnight visits you have to have written permission from all of your flatmates or the person in charge of the halls but thats all i ve been able to find

ReputationRep:
    Apparently you are. It seems a fair and reasonable policy to me. No one is forcing you to stay in halls - you are free to make your own arrangements if you prefer.

But doesn't anyone else find this ridiculous? I'm an adult, i've lived away from my parents and lived how i want for a very long time. i don't mind living with younger people and i think i'd be isolating myself if i didn't live in halls but i'm not going to find it easy being treated like a child again. i somehow ended up with a boyfriend who goes to uni 300 miles away so it's important that we can regularly spend weekends at each others residences. I didn't know about this policy and i do need SOMEWHERE to live, I don't know what other options are open to me.

ReputationRep:
    I think student accommodation across the country state something with regards to overnight guests, but unless you get some really anal housemates, who's gunna know? And I really couldn't see there being a jobsworth who follows up any allegations that you have had someone stay there overnight but you've already used your three nights up.

However, I can't speak for that uni or accommodation, but still, I'd risk it because you are completely right. It is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    But doesn't anyone else find this ridiculous? I'm an adult, i've lived away from my parents and lived how i want for a very long time. i don't mind living with younger people and i think i'd be isolating myself if i didn't live in halls but i'm not going to find it easy being treated like a child again. i somehow ended up with a boyfriend who goes to uni 300 miles away so it's important that we can regularly spend weekends at each others residences. I didn't know about this policy and i do need SOMEWHERE to live, I don't know what other options are open to me.
    I agree with you there, I m only 18 but i think 3 visits a term is pretty strict but as I happen to have a boyfriend who does and I will be living a few hundred miles from so I m a bit biased on this.
    I ve contacted the cheapest private hall i ve been able to find so far;cosmo moor lane to ask them about their visiting policy to see if its any better and if it is I shall be applying there.

(Original post by BippyM)
    I think student accommodation across the country state something with regards to overnight guests, but unless you get some really anal housemates, who's gunna know? And I really couldn't see there being a jobsworth who follows up any allegations that you have had someone stay there overnight but you've already used your three nights up.

However, I can't speak for that uni or accommodation, but still, I'd risk it because you are completely right. It is ridiculous.
    I don't know what the halls are like and if there's a reception you'd have to sneak somebody past. Also my boyfriend lives in a flat with 8 others at uni. some of them he's seen about 5 times since september, how hard is it gonna be going round collecting signatures?!

(Original post by chocolateheartstar)
    I agree with you there, I m only 18 but i think 3 visits a term is pretty strict but as I happen to have a boyfriend who does and I will be living a few hundred miles from so I m a bit biased on this.
    I ve contacted the cheapest private hall i ve been able to find so far;cosmo moor lane to ask them about their visiting policy to see if its any better and if it is I shall be applying there.
    I'm glad somebody agrees. I didn't think I was being mental.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're over thinking it pal, you'll probably find it alot more relaxed than they say it is, and also I think its possible to predict that security guard/receptionist will probably be pre occupied with trying to mooch time off and sit around to bother remembering what everyone looks like who lives at your halls. I really can't see it being a problem in my eyes I think the "rule" will be very relaxed and probably never mentioned again.

ReputationRep:
    the policy exists but if your in any of the halls apart from Kopa there isnt any reception to sneak past and even kopa you dont go through it to get into the flat buildings. Last year I asked if everyone was okay with me having people stay but never anything official, it is very relaxed!

ReputationRep:
    I think that's stupid. Haven't heard anything like that before. Unless your housemates are complete *******s no one will know anything though.

well thanks guys. i was in absolute panic cos i hadn't even considered making arrangements to live anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry, Uni is for grown ups who make grown up decisions

If you was in my flat you could have whoever round, whenever you want. I think it's the same for most flats, nobody will actually give two hoots because more than likely youll be in your room, besides your friends might get along with the flat mates.

I'll have visitors, more than three times a semester, whenever i want. My housemates can do one if they don't like it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.