Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey just a quick couple of questions regarding the battery on my Compaq Presario cq62-a10sa.

I bought this laptop second hand because it was cheap and I'll only be using it so I have something portable (most of my stuff, games and work will be on my Desktop PC) so I can work with my housemates downstairs and in the library etc. It'll be used mostly for the internet and office.

I haven't had a laptop in years as I prefer desktops, so apologies if any of the questions are a little silly.

My two questions are:

1.Does anyone know roughly how long the battery life lasts in hours? My parents are taking me back to uni tomorrow, so I want to see if it'll last the car journey.

2. The part where my charger plugs in seems to be a little loose, but I don't know if its a serious issue since I don't have anything to compare with. It plugs in fine, I don't have to hold it and it stays plugged in and charging quite happily for most of the time. I have however looked over a few times to where it is sat on the table (without anyone touching it) and noticed it is no longer charging, even when not fully charged. Its simple just to touch the cable and it starts charging again however, and it doesn't happen often enough for me to lose a lot of power. I can also sit it on my lap and it'll still charge, though I did initially have to tap it back into place. As of now, its not too much of a worry, but I was wondering if this is normal or if this is likely to quickly become a serious problem, as I know it can be expensive to fix. I paid £139 for the laptop and only have a short warranty to find this out.

As an add on to 2, any tips to reduce it being a problem? My mum suggested putting some blu tack around where it plugs in to keep it steady, but I don't know if there are other things I can do.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The listing for this laptop on saveonlaptops says 2-3 hours which, even if it is a tentative estimate, is likely to be a stretch for a second hand machine. Making an accurate guess is pretty impossible though, given that we don't know how old it is or how the previous owner used it.

The charger should not sit loose in the socket, no idea how you'd go about fixing that though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvaStarshine)
    Hey just a quick couple of questions regarding the battery on my Compaq Presario cq62-a10sa.

I bought this laptop second hand because it was cheap and I'll only be using it so I have something portable (most of my stuff, games and work will be on my Desktop PC) so I can work with my housemates downstairs and in the library etc. It'll be used mostly for the internet and office.

I haven't had a laptop in years as I prefer desktops, so apologies if any of the questions are a little silly.

My two questions are:

1.Does anyone know roughly how long the battery life lasts in hours? My parents are taking me back to uni tomorrow, so I want to see if it'll last the car journey.

2. The part where my charger plugs in seems to be a little loose, but I don't know if its a serious issue since I don't have anything to compare with. It plugs in fine, I don't have to hold it and it stays plugged in and charging quite happily for most of the time. I have however looked over a few times to where it is sat on the table (without anyone touching it) and noticed it is no longer charging, even when not fully charged. Its simple just to touch the cable and it starts charging again however, and it doesn't happen often enough for me to lose a lot of power. I can also sit it on my lap and it'll still charge, though I did initially have to tap it back into place. As of now, its not too much of a worry, but I was wondering if this is normal or if this is likely to quickly become a serious problem, as I know it can be expensive to fix. I paid £139 for the laptop and only have a short warranty to find this out.

As an add on to 2, any tips to reduce it being a problem? My mum suggested putting some blu tack around where it plugs in to keep it steady, but I don't know if there are other things I can do.

Thank you
    1. Considering it's second hand and from my previous experience of HP/Compaq laptops, I would expect the battery life to be pretty poor (probably under an hour). Amazon says that laptop came out in July 2010, so after almost 3 years it certainly won't be great.

2. With regards to the charger, it could be that the charger itself is worn out (I've had this problem too) in which case getting a new lead is fairly easy, though if the problem is with the laptop itself that would be harder to fix.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.