Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How easy is it to get tested for anemia? Is it just tested via a regular blood test?

ReputationRep:
    Anaemia is caused by iron deficiency which reduces the ability of haemoglobin to transport oxygen as iron is the inorganic component of haemoglobin which is composed if 4 subunits. (Gave me a chance to revise some biology...woop!)

I'm not too sure how its tested, possibly by blood test. But go to see your Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent1289)
    Anaemia is caused by iron deficiency which reduces the ability of haemoglobin to transport oxygen as iron is the inorganic component of haemoglobin which is composed if 4 subunits. (Gave me a chance to revise some biology...woop!)

I'm not too sure how its tested, possibly by blood test. But go to see your Doctor.
    Well thats one cause

It's fairly simple. If you have any symptoms which suggest anaemia then you can get a blood test done at your GP where they'll test your Hb levels/RBC count.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a fairly simple and regular blood test (a blood count if you're curious, where the no of rbcs and whatnot are counted).

Doesn't take long. Your GP should be able to do it, but he wouldn't really just do it unless you've got some symptoms suggesting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    How easy is it to get tested for anemia? Is it just tested via a regular blood test?
    I'm anaemic.Iron Def Anaemia. They simply just take blood and check your Hb, ferritin and if need more investigative Iron studies like transferrin saturation.

There are 3 types of anaemia though.There is also pernicious anaemia,of which they check your GIFAB...gastric intrinsic factor antibodies.

Ask your GP for a thorough explanation.

ReputationRep:
    I have iron deficiency anaemia and if you go and you're showing the symptoms, it's a blood test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xev bellringer)
    I'm anaemic.Iron Def Anaemia. They simply just take blood and check your Hb, ferritin and if need more investigative Iron studies like transferrin saturation.

There are 3 types of anaemia though.There is also pernicious anaemia,of which they check your GIFAB...gastric intrinsic factor antibodies.

Ask your GP for a thorough explanation.
    What are the symptoms, apart from tiredness? Apparently my blood count is fine, but I still don't feel right.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    What are the symptoms, apart from tiredness? Apparently my blood count is fine, but I still don't feel right.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Iron deficiency anaemia symptoms? Ones I got were tiredness, having no energy at all, dizziness and feeling like I was going to faint, nausea, constantly cold - even when it's warm, my hands and feet feel like blocks of ice -, hair going brittle and thinning out, fingernails becoming really brittle and weak and breaking all the time, muscles twitching all the time and sometimes painfully, I'm really pale all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Iron deficiency anaemia symptoms? Ones I got were tiredness, having no energy at all, dizziness and feeling like I was going to faint, nausea, constantly cold - even when it's warm, my hands and feet feel like blocks of ice -, hair going brittle and thinning out, fingernails becoming really brittle and weak and breaking all the time, muscles twitching all the time and sometimes painfully, I'm really pale all the time.
    Can you get tested without a blood test? I've had these symptoms for years and my mum's convinced I'm anaemic, as are several health professionals but they all want me to have a blood test. I'm **** scared of them, and so won't. I just take a multivitamin with iron, so is there even any point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Can you get tested without a blood test? I've had these symptoms for years and my mum's convinced I'm anaemic, as are several health professionals but they all want me to have a blood test. I'm **** scared of them, and so won't. I just take a multivitamin with iron, so is there even any point?
    I was told that if you have anaemia to the extent that you need iron tablets like I do, multivitamins with iron or just iron supplements that you can buy over the counter will have little effect. Unfortunately I think blood test is the only way it can be discovered, but it is important that you do get it checked out. Look at it this way - it's a few seconds of pain, saving you months and months of illness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I was told that if you have anaemia to the extent that you need iron tablets like I do, multivitamins with iron or just iron supplements that you can buy over the counter will have little effect. Unfortunately I think blood test is the only way it can be discovered, but it is important that you do get it checked out. Look at it this way - it's a few seconds of pain, saving you months and months of illness
    Ah okay, that is true. I'll just have to try and deal with it then. Do they help? The big one for me is being freezing most of the time it's so bloody annoying. And feeling lethargic. If it cures those, I'll probably do it. Also if you don't mind me asking, are you also vegetarian? I am and I get told often that veggies are more prone to it. Thanks for replying!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have anemia and they just took some blood out of my arm they don't test you regularly unless you have it pretty bad and they have to monitor you're iron levels even then it's not that often in the year I have to have it done 3 times a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Ah okay, that is true. I'll just have to try and deal with it then. Do they help? The big one for me is being freezing most of the time it's so bloody annoying. And feeling lethargic. If it cures those, I'll probably do it. Also if you don't mind me asking, are you also vegetarian? I am and I get told often that veggies are more prone to it. Thanks for replying!
    I'm on proper prescription iron tablets and they're a ***** to take - I have to hide them in sandwiches - but they really do help; I'm not sure I'd be able to function at uni without them!

I'm not a vegetarian, and I eat loads of iron rich foods - it came as a real surprise to me when I was told I was anaemic!

ReputationRep:
    I first found out I had Anemia via my gynaecologist and I had to make sure by taking another blood test. Apparently I have an imbalanced amount of red blood cells against my white blood cells. There's nothing extreme to it, just be brave with the needle and the doctor

ReputationRep:
    I had the same symptoms as you and I had to have a blood test too to see if I was anaemic. Honestly, its so so fast its over before you know it. Even if you really do hate it, it is worth it..I'm anemic and the iron tablets they might put you on are so helpful! They make you feel so much better with lots more energy. Unfortunately they then take another blood test once you've finished the tablets they gave you, to see if your blood count improves and if your iron storage is high enough..if not then they put you back onto the tablets.
    Over the counter vitamins really aren't good enough most of the time, especially if your symptoms are what you described, they won't be of great effect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had a blood test done yesterday at my drs because my HB level is ( or was) very low. Got a phone call today to go and see the dr on friday to "talk about your blood test results", although the receptionist did say it wasnt urgent. I already take otc iron tablets and eat iron rich foods,but I see from reading this thread that they arent as good as prescribed iron tablets.

Bit worried actually... :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.