Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello

so i have a renault clio 1.2

i am really interested in putting my car in for a race or something... i mean im not competitive, just i really want to drive extremely fast in my car and see what it can do!

and of course, that would be kinda illegal if i just went on the motorway.. heh... so i think its a race track that i need to look into?

thanks for any helpful info i live near London (wont give exactly where, sorry)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.trackdays.co.uk/

Have a look at track days, where you can bring your car to the race track, drive around for the afternoon and come home. Although I really wouldn't recommend going to them in a 1.2 Clio, but as long as it meets the safety criteria, you can take pretty much any car!

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a gamble taking your only car on track...
    I'd stick to those track days that consist of a closed airfield and a circuilt constructed of cones - if you come off there's no wall to hit for starters.

You could also consider drag racing. A "run what ya brung" event is just about the cheapest motorsport going.

Alternatively, if you've got a bit of spare cash, why not consider getting into sprint / hill climbing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Bit of a gamble taking your only car on track...
    I'd stick to those track days that consist of a closed airfield and a circuilt constructed of cones - if you come off there's no wall to hit for starters.

You could also consider drag racing. A "run what ya brung" event is just about the cheapest motorsport going.

Alternatively, if you've got a bit of spare cash, why not consider getting into sprint / hill climbing?
    whats the sprint/hill climbing? i really dont know much about these things. i asked my mum about it n she said to look at a race track, although that sounds dangerous!

(Original post by Kre)
    http://www.trackdays.co.uk/

Have a look at track days, where you can bring your car to the race track, drive around for the afternoon and come home. Although I really wouldn't recommend going to them in a 1.2 Clio, but as long as it meets the safety criteria, you can take pretty much any car!
    how come not the clio? thats the thing i want to drive my car. it really is purely to just drive really fast in it haha, but obviously i dont want to do that in the real world. i freaked out coz i went 2mph over the speed limit the other day, let alone like 30. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megfashion)
    whats the sprint/hill climbing? i really dont know much about these things. i asked my mum about it n she said to look at a race track, although that sounds dangerous!
    It's point to point racing against the clock rather than a circuit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lULVryqW1o

You wouldn't be doing it quite THAT fast but it shows the circuit!

ReputationRep:
    My mate rolled his clio twice when he tried racing it,

ReputationRep:
    Some tracks (Knockhill is the one that springs to mind) have a facility where you can take your own car along and one of the instructors will give you a lesson in it. Might be worth looking into?

If you do a track day then make sure you get track day insurance if it is your only car!

ReputationRep:
    race in ur neighbourhood

ReputationRep:
    hello

so i have a renault clio 1.2

i am really interested in putting my car in for a race or something... i mean im not competitive, just i really want to drive extremely fast in my car and see what it can do!

and of course, that would be kinda illegal if i just went on the motorway.. heh... so i think its a race track that i need to look into?

thanks for any helpful info i live near London (wont give exactly where, sorry)
    There are plenty of tracks within a sensible distance of London. Brands Hatch is only in Kent, so you can go to a track day there if you live to the east, and even Silverstone isn't that far to the north. Alternatively, why not get up early on a Sunday morning and go for a nice drive outside the M25? The roads are more open and you can drive a little bit faster, with some nice twisty stuff. That's where the fun is, especially in less powerful cars. Won't cost you a penny more than the fuel either, and you can go at your own pace and spend as much time out as you like.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be devils advocate.....

Don't bother.

in a 1.2 Clio, with standard everything, it's gonna handle like a shoe, drive very slow, and on a track day, you'll get in the way.

Save up for a 172 Clio if you're serious (Can get them for a grand) and then do an track day.

Open pit lane sessions start at £100+ usually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Some tracks (Knockhill is the one that springs to mind) have a facility where you can take your own car along and one of the instructors will give you a lesson in it. Might be worth looking into?

If you do a track day then make sure you get track day insurance if it is your only car!
    I don't think knockhill would be a very good first track day. Great track, definately, but there's a really nasty blind corner at the top of a hill that will definately catch you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I don't think knockhill would be a very good first track day. Great track, definately, but there's a really nasty blind corner at the top of a hill that will definately catch you out.
    Bloody long way back to London as well, especially if you bend it!

ReputationRep:

how come not the clio? thats the thing i want to drive my car. it really is purely to just drive really fast in it haha, but obviously i dont want to do that in the real world. i freaked out coz i went 2mph over the speed limit the other day, let alone like 30. lol.

My dad does track days in his lotus elise 111s and he finds himself being overtaken on the straights (but he gets them back on the corners ). Your clio will be bordering on dangerous on a track because of how slow it is. Also because you have NO experience racing/driving in anger you would also be a danger, I have seen a new subaru impreza wrx written of on a track day because another driver got flustered and pulled to the wrong side of the track to let him past. Track days also arn't cheap, you are looking at £150 plus. This excludes the tyres you will wear through, the brake pads you will ruin and all the other expense from pushing your car to its limit. Add on to this also the fact that your car will not stand up well in a crash at high speed and there is a real danger of you being seriously injured or killed (I race karts and have had various (luckily not serious) injuries, however I have witnessed a decent driver have to be airlifted to hospital after breaking 4 ribs, an arm, ankle, collarbone and puncturing a lung), be under no illusion motorsport is VERY dangerous.

Your best option if you want to drive fast is to book yourself on a day with a racing instructor like this http://www.racing-school.co.uk/index.asp then you will get to use a decent car and be taught how to drive on a track safely and quickly.

Answer me this question without googling, what is the basics of the "racing line"??? if you can't answer that off the top of your head then you would be a hazard to EVERYONE else on track if you were on your own.

For the love of god please don't book yourself on a track day, esspecially at knockhill, it is a difficult track at the best of times and you can very easily roll your car off the kerbs on the blind corners. Also there is next to no run off so you WILL hit a barrier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Closest one to me unfortunately, but it is a great track.

I was just thinking the tuition on your own car might be a good thing to do for a first time track driver?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbsf1)
    My dad does track days in his lotus elise 111s and he finds himself being overtaken on the straights (but he gets them back on the corners ). Your clio will be bordering on dangerous on a track because of how slow it is. Also because you have NO experience racing/driving in anger you would also be a danger, I have seen a new subaru impreza wrx written of on a track day because another driver got flustered and pulled to the wrong side of the track to let him past. Track days also arn't cheap, you are looking at £150 plus. This excludes the tyres you will wear through, the brake pads you will ruin and all the other expense from pushing your car to its limit. Add on to this also the fact that your car will not stand up well in a crash at high speed and there is a real danger of you being seriously injured or killed (I race karts and have had various (luckily not serious) injuries, however I have witnessed a decent driver have to be airlifted to hospital after breaking 4 ribs, an arm, ankle, collarbone and puncturing a lung), be under no illusion motorsport is VERY dangerous.

Your best option if you want to drive fast is to book yourself on a day with a racing instructor like this http://www.racing-school.co.uk/index.asp then you will get to use a decent car and be taught how to drive on a track safely and quickly.

Answer me this question without googling, what is the basics of the "racing line"??? if you can't answer that off the top of your head then you would be a hazard to EVERYONE else on track if you were on your own.

For the love of god please don't book yourself on a track day, esspecially at knockhill, it is a difficult track at the best of times and you can very easily roll your car off the kerbs on the blind corners. Also there is next to no run off so you WILL hit a barrier.
    mkay i understand - yer i want to be safe! gonna try n book a racing instructor :3 maybe ill get the boyfriend to give it as a birthday gift... haha

ReputationRep:
    mkay i understand - yer i want to be safe! gonna try n book a racing instructor :3 maybe ill get the boyfriend to give it as a birthday gift... haha
    Thanks for understanding what I was saying, I didn't mean to sound really harsh . I just didn't want you to book a track day, turn up and then get flustered with all the other cars around and then crash into either a barrier or someone else.

There are lots of good racing instructor places,

Bedford Autodrome are really good, the owner of the company is an ex F1 driver Johnathan Palmer, however they are closer to £400 but you get longer driving.

This site has tonnes and tonnes on it. http://www.trackdays.co.uk/driving_e...prices=&ideas=

ReputationRep:
    I take my car to racetracks all the time. Silverstone, Donington, Rockingham, LLandow all offer this for example. Trying going during car shows and you can get like 20minutes session for £30 or so. Else its like over £200 for open pit.

Its great fun and not really dangerous. There is plenty of space and track and generally idiots dont go racing around.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.