Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I thought about starting a thread to share funny stories while working in a pharmacy to take the edge out of our career woes i.e. Category M, locum fees etc.

One of our patients came in and told us his inhaler (tiotropium) wasn't working. We counselled him all we could but he returned after another week. We finally found out that instead of putting the inhalation capsules into the Handihaler, he was swallowing them whole. Sufficed to say, we were quite amused.

ReputationRep:
    "Oh, so you're working at a farm"?

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently not very many funny things happen in pharmacies according to this thread.

I work in hospital pharmacy and we had an older chap on a ward once who used to have this box of tissues on his table. He was in for a fair few weeks but the same box was sitting on his desk for all that time. Eventually one of the nurses got it off him and it turned out he hadn't been taking any of his medicines, just tipping them out into this box so it was just full of tablets!
    Had to have a chat with the nurses about why no one had noticed, and a chat with the docs about retitrating a lot of his medicines.

Another time had a patient who came in and told the doctors and nurses that they were on the methadone programme, and that they got x mls a day. Then when I went to clarify their drug history and which pharmacy dispensed their methadone, they were like, "well actually, I just buy my methadone off the street and am managing it myself."
    I was like, "yeah, I'm going to tell the doctors that and they can decide what they want to do with that information."

ReputationRep:
    On being handed her prescription for pessaries:
    "Can you show me how to use them?"

ReputationRep:
    My lecturer told us one. I can't entirely remember it which is why it seems utterly absurd. They said that one of their patients had been given suppositories or another rectal formulation and had been taking them orally (I think, I can't imagine how you could make yourself do that though), came into the pharmacy and wondered why they weren't doing anything, and said "For all the good these are doing me, I might as well stick them up my a***!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    My lecturer told us one. I can't entirely remember it which is why it seems utterly absurd. They said that one of their patients had been given suppositories or another rectal formulation and had been taking them orally (I think, I can't imagine how you could make yourself do that though), came into the pharmacy and wondered why they weren't doing anything, and said "For all the good these are doing me, I might as well stick them up my a***!"
    I'm embarrassed to say that this actually made me LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    I've witnessed it lots of times. People swallowing suppositories, pessaries, capsules for inhalers and dessicants.

ReputationRep:
    Turk from Scrubs

"I know it says ANALgesic, but it goes in your mouth"

I think this resonates with our lives as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killuminati1989)
    Turk from Scrubs

"I know it says ANALgesic, but it goes in your mouth"

I think this resonates with our lives as well
    I love scrubs and to be fair as a dispenser I've actually come across this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.