Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm revising electrolysis (part of module C6 of the OCR Gateway GCSE course) and it mentions that if in solution, ions below hydrogen in the reactivity series will discharge at the cathode but in an electrolysis reaction with ions above hydrogen in the reactivity series, hydrogen will collect at the cathode instead. I get that the hydrogen is present if a solution is electrolysed because a solution will contain water, but I don't understand (and can't find out from Google!) why the reactivity of the ion determines whether it will collect at the cathode or not. Help? :-) Btw, it's not urgent, I don't think I have to know this for my exam, I was just interested :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayFlower)
    I'm revising electrolysis (part of module C6 of the OCR Gateway GCSE course) and it mentions that if in solution, ions below hydrogen in the reactivity series will discharge at the cathode but in an electrolysis reaction with ions above hydrogen in the reactivity series, hydrogen will collect at the cathode instead. I get that the hydrogen is present if a solution is electrolysed because a solution will contain water, but I don't understand (and can't find out from Google!) why the reactivity of the ion determines whether it will collect at the cathode or not. Help? :-) Btw, it's not urgent, I don't think I have to know this for my exam, I was just interested :-)
    you can read up on
    1) standard reduction potential

2) half equations

3) combining half equations to give balanced, complete/whole equations

4) free energy and its relation to reduction potential of a cell/circuit

5) free energy and spontaneity of a reaction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    you can read up on
    1) standard reduction potential

2) half equations

3) combining half equations to give balanced, complete/whole equations

4) free energy and its relation to reduction potential of a cell/circuit

5) free energy and spontaneity of a reaction
    Thank you :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.