The Student Room Group

should I pick history

I'm not sure if I've posted this right but anyway I'm currently revising for my as levels but thinking about uni as I'll apply this year.
Ive been considering taking history and what out me off is that most offers are AAA and that the courses are always over subscribed so I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it
Has anyone else been in this situation / please help :smile:
xx
Reply 1
Original post by Lucieann
I'm not sure if I've posted this right but anyway I'm currently revising for my as levels but thinking about uni as I'll apply this year.
Ive been considering taking history and what out me off is that most offers are AAA and that the courses are always over subscribed so I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it
xx
There are plenty of unis offering history courses where the standard offer is a lot less than AAA, so don't be put off. Yes it can be a competitive course to get in to, but the secret is to target your application sensibly. See How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections.

You might also find TSR Wiki: History Degree of interest. You will have to check out individual unis - but there is a thread in this forum with a list of typical offers for history - it may need some updating but it will give you a general idea of where to look first.
Look at www.whatuni.com

Enter History as a subject and on the next page enter your likely A level grades - be realistic. This will give you a long list of possibly courses/Unis. And as you will see, not all History courses require AAA. There are plenty of interesting courses at good Unis that dont, so stop panicking.....

Next step is to look at some of the Uni websites, check the required grades/subjects and read the History course descriptions carefully - not all History courses are the same and each Uni will have a few areas they focus on. Start thinking about what 'sort' of History you want to study.

Also, look at courses that 'include History' like American Studies, and joint subjects like 'History and Politics' - does this fit your interests better than a straight History degree? Look at what extras each Uni offers - optional courses from other Depts, a Year Aboard etc etc.

Lots of people go to Uni and study History without getting spectacular A grades - promise.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lucieann
xx

Another thing to consider is that quite often joint-honours offer lower grades because they are undersubscribed, so think about that? for example at leeds the grades needed for history are AAA but for History with Russian they are ABB. Consider history with politics if you don't fancy a language because they are closely linked anyway.

Also I put history at Warwick as my first choice and got a conditional offer of AAA. However when it came to results I only got AAB but they accepted me anyway, so clearly the personal statement makes a really big difference

Finally there is also the option of calling the admissions offices on results day if you narrowly miss the grades. I know lots of people who needed AAA but got AAB and were rejected from their courses. They then called up their first choice uni and presented a brief sales pitch as to why they should be accepted anyway and all of them were.
Reply 4
Original post by masonburger
Another thing to consider is that quite often joint-honours offer lower grades because they are undersubscribed, so think about that? for example at leeds the grades needed for history are AAA but for History with Russian they are ABB. Consider history with politics if you don't fancy a language because they are closely linked anyway.
Certainly worth looking at.

Also I put history at Warwick as my first choice and got a conditional offer of AAA. However when it came to results I only got AAB but they accepted me anyway, so clearly the personal statement makes a really big difference
It may have done, but it's more likely that the removal of the cap on places for people with AAB grades was what really made the difference for you.

Finally there is also the option of calling the admissions offices on results day if you narrowly miss the grades. I know lots of people who needed AAA but got AAB and were rejected from their courses. They then called up their first choice uni and presented a brief sales pitch as to why they should be accepted anyway and all of them were.
It is unusual for a uni to reverse a rejection in these circumstances, so I am wondering whether in fact your friends' Track had not yet updated on Results Day. In those circumstances it's definitely worth ringing up - as you say, a 'sales pitch' may well get you the place after all. Usually, if a uni has decided not to take you because you missed your offer, and that decision has gone on to Track, that's the end of the story.
Reply 5
So, i forgot I wrote this, Thank you for all your advice and help. I have applied for History and all I got all five offers! and I've just firmed my unconditional from Birmingham, turns out I had nothing to worry about
WELL DONE!

Enjoy your 3 years!
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
WELL DONE!

Enjoy your 3 years!

thank you!:smile:
Reply 8
Lots of unis that don't need AAA for History.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending