Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am terrible at English, my grammar completely sucks and my handwriting is completely bad and I can't seem to know how to revise. I read books, but they don't help me. And I am becoming scared that i might end up with a foundation paper. The reason why i don't want to do a foundation paper is because i want to get a B grade in my GCSE's and i don't know what i want to be when I'm older.

If someone gives me advise on how to revise for English language and literature that would extremely help. I think I'm much better in English literature than English language e.g. thinks like write to persuade or writing a rant.

Right now in English i on a D/C grade, am I feel like I'm going to give up soon.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, don't give up. If you give up, you won't get a 'D', 'C' or even your desired 'B'.

There are different ways to revise - you can make posters, flash cards, sort cards, do lots of past papers etc. One of the 'best' ways to revise that is pushed at my school is to teach what you've learnt to a friend, family member, as you remember more. These methods work best for any subject.

For English Literature; read the novel/ play two or more times, with the last reading of them being close to the exam date, so you have everything at the front of your head. To revise English Literature, you can, make notes on each chapter, characters, and key themes with quotations, so if a question about 'Character X' comes up, or 'Theme Y' then you'll roughly know what you want to write. Oh, and do a mini plan of your answer, that way you won't start rambling on about something that is 'irrelevant'.

When writing in English, try and stick to the 'Point, Evidence, Explain, Link', method, unless you have been given another method to write/ structure an answer.
    And look at past mark schemes. These show you what the examiner wants to see in your work, and if Examiner reports are available look at these too, as they often show where past candidates have gone wrong, and right.

For your grammar, practise. Just write out sentences and read over it and see if it makes sense. You could always start writing a diary, because you're practising writing (and you can do it in various tenses as well), and it only takes 5 to 15 minutes -depending on how much detail you put in.

If this hasn't helped, speak to one of your teachers (in English) and ask them if they can help you. If you've tried hard for the past two years (or one year) then they will be more willing to help you - if you've fooled around, pester them and they'll help you. But, show that you are willing to work, and that you're not going to waste their time. And speak to your teachers soonish (when you go back to school) about what paper you're sitting. They've probably already entered you into one.

I know I haven't written anything specifically for English Language... Read through your notes/ do some of the revision techniques I've suggested (if you want). For language, I did past papers and learnt some literary terms. I don't know how to revise for language - sorry.

To get to the mark schemes type into google, or whatever search bar you use, and put in your exam board and past papers. So if you're on AQA google 'AQA English (lit or lang) past papers'.

Hope I've been of some help, and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Your methods sound great, I'll try them and get back to you to site you how I've done.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.