Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone ever just upped and moved abroad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've completed my MA, and I'm currently awaiting results on funding for my PhD places (although it's not looking good, so I'm not holding my breath at the moment) whilst completing a years paid internship which will end this coming September.

The sector I'm in (Archaeology / Museums / Heritage) is absolutely dire at the moment, even before you add the fact that without a PhD I would be extremely unlikely to get a job that I really want. This is not to say that something amazing wouldn't come up, but I am not going to hold out too much hope (I sound so pessimistic here :P ) Ideally I would love to be able to do a PhD and then go into research / lecturing / higher-level museum management and curation.

However, I have to face the fact that this scenario is unlikely to pan out, and come October I am more likely to be back living with my parents and applying for crappy office or checkout jobs. I have absolutely no ties other than family; no boyfriend / partner, no job atm past September, I don't have a particularly thriving social life (it's diabolical, tbh - she says at 8pm on a Saturday night on TSR!) so I would not be leaving an awful lot behind.

Currently, I'm seriously considering upping and leaving for a couple of years, and working abroad to give myself a fresh start, sort my head out, maybe get some decent savings put away - everything I had was ploughed into my MA - and just generally give myself a real kick up the proverbial. I suffer from clinical depression, which although is now under control, has resulted in a patchy university career which I think has really affected the situation I'm in now. I do not think moving abroad would be a cure-all, but it gives me a chance to start over (something that I am hoping a PhD might be able to do as well).

I am fortunate enough to have family in Australia and the US, and New Zealand is another place that I'm considering, although I don't know anyone there. I've spent MANY holidays in the US, so as far as that's concerned, the culture shock would be nil.

I was wondering if there's anyone else on TSR who has moved abroad from the UK - not for a gap year or working holiday, but for a decent stretch of at least year or two - and what sort of experiences you've had. If you have been through this, any advice or information would be most welcome. I am not 100% on this path yet, but it is something I am very seriously considering.

ReputationRep:
    Do it! Though I will advise you first not to set your heart on the US - it is very hard to go and work there unless you are a student wanting to spend just a summer there. Australia, New Zealand and Canada are much more do-able if you're under 30 and a British citizen.

You did mention wanting to leave for a few years; this is a bit more tricky than the standard one year, since you can get one year working holiday visas for all three of the aforementioned countries. If you complete 3 months farm work in Australia you can extend the one year to two years (6 months max with each employer though), while in New Zealand you can get a two year visa straight away but you can only work for 1 year of it. Canada is probably a good option for you as there are two one year visas available, but they have run out for this year, and the next allocation aren't likely to be released until Jan/Feb, a little while away. It could be that there is a two year visa available next year (as opposed to the two one year ones offered at the moment) for Brits as they changed the Irish program to this earlier this year, as a trial.

I've heard quite a few success stories relating to people heading out to Canada on working holiday visas; it doesn't seem too unusual for people to get an offer of sponsorship from their employer or decide to apply for residency through the experience class after one year of skilled employment. I think this is because people going to Canada tend to be a bit older than those going to Aus/NZ, and set out wanting to live in Vancouver or Toronto, and there are good (skilled and unskilled) job markets there. I've been living in Canada for 18 months now and intend to stay for another year or so, and then head to New Zealand, where I lived for a year previously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.