Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm a future EU-student(Germany) and have a conditional offer from Edinburgh (Astrophysics) and Lancaster(Astrophysics, Physics and Space Science). I'm not a 100% sure where to go. I would be thankful, if you could give me some help regarding reputation, quality, etc.

Thanks a lot!
    Tara

ReputationRep:
    Since your an EU student, I say Edinburgh is the better choice as you get your fees paid by SAAS. Sure living costs in Edinburgh are probably greater than Lancaster but the difference would be no where near the £27,000+ cost of fees.

Course at Edinburgh: http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/12-13/dpt/utasphm.htm

Before you ask, the astronomy/astrophysics options in 1st/2nd year are in the elective lists.

Also, I don't think there is that much difference between the 2 in terms of reputation or anything like that. They are probably just quite different universities with Edinburgh being city-based and Lancaster is a campus uni (I think)...

ReputationRep:
    I would choose Edinburgh as it is internationally more well known as it a capital city and it is one of the best in the UK for engineering/sciences.

Plus the fees in England will be higher.

ReputationRep:
    Both are great departments which offer a high quality education (league tables), and both have a very international outlook.

In German academia the reputation of these places will derive from their research power. Since they are both top in research
    (which can be quantified eg via the research assessment exercises, RAE2008), German academia will not see much difference
    in terms of reputation between the two places (the knowledge will not be restricted to knowing capital cities, rather who's
    writing the great papers in their field).

So, besides the factor of costs I'd rather consider the differences in terms of campus, size, location etc.
    (Here, both places differ significantly, and so it may become a matter of taste.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.