Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Thankyou for taking the time to read this. I know that I probably sound completely pathetic, but I am just feeling so low and do not know what to do

I'm a final year medical student, and have just finished my finals. I've been feeling really down (I think I've always been up and own during med school). I thought I would feel so much happier once finals were over but I don't

I'm not really looking forward to anything - I'm supposed to be going to Singapore for my elective in May followed by a one week holiday with my BF afterwards, but I just don't feel excited about it. I just feel like I want to stay here at home in the UK. Everytime I go onto Facebook, I see people from my year with all this amazing statuses about how they are in some exotic location for their elective with their friends etc - but it just makes me feel so lonely. I have made a few close friends at Uni - but have had a few problems and just couldn't see myself spending my elective with them and so I chose to do something on my own. There are other students going to Singapore as well but I'm not staying with them (as they are going for longer than me)

I'm just not looking forward to it - except maybe the holiday afterwards. I don't feel excited about the thought of going somewhere new. Everyone around me seems so excited by travelling and going to new places, and I just want to stay here...is this normal? I feel that everyone on Facebook must be having a fantastic time, and It just makes me feel so alone...probably should just get rid of my facebook since I hardly use it..and when I do it just has a negative effect

I don't know why I feel so down. I just feel worried and anxious about everything all the time, and I thought the feeling would pass after exams but it hasn't

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Or felt like this during medical school?

Sorry in advance for the long post and sounding so negative..but would really appreciate any advice? as I feel so down. I don't really feel I can talk to my friends or boyfriend about this..I think they will just think I am being silly

Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia19)
    Hi there,

Thankyou for taking the time to read this. I know that I probably sound completely pathetic, but I am just feeling so low and do not know what to do

I'm a final year medical student, and have just finished my finals. I've been feeling really down (I think I've always been up and own during med school). I thought I would feel so much happier once finals were over but I don't

I'm not really looking forward to anything - I'm supposed to be going to Singapore for my elective in May followed by a one week holiday with my BF afterwards, but I just don't feel excited about it. I just feel like I want to stay here at home in the UK. Everytime I go onto Facebook, I see people from my year with all this amazing statuses about how they are in some exotic location for their elective with their friends etc - but it just makes me feel so lonely. I have made a few close friends at Uni - but have had a few problems and just couldn't see myself spending my elective with them and so I chose to do something on my own. There are other students going to Singapore as well but I'm not staying with them (as they are going for longer than me)

I'm just not looking forward to it - except maybe the holiday afterwards. I don't feel excited about the thought of going somewhere new. Everyone around me seems so excited by travelling and going to new places, and I just want to stay here...is this normal? I feel that everyone on Facebook must be having a fantastic time, and It just makes me feel so alone...probably should just get rid of my facebook since I hardly use it..and when I do it just has a negative effect

I don't know why I feel so down. I just feel worried and anxious about everything all the time, and I thought the feeling would pass after exams but it hasn't

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Or felt like this during medical school?

Sorry in advance for the long post and sounding so negative..but would really appreciate any advice? as I feel so down. I don't really feel I can talk to my friends or boyfriend about this..I think they will just think I am being silly

Thank you xx
    Aww sorry to hear that. Disclaimer: I've never been depressed but I have had friends and relatives who are.
    You've finished finals so I know you'll know these already but:
    Are you not enjoying things you used to?
    Are you waking up early?
    Is your mood low?
    Private message me if you'd like. If you think it's serious you should see your GP - it's not going to stop you working, but you need to show maturity by seeking help if you need it.

ReputationRep:
    This might sound a bit cliched but admitting to anyone, even if it is the internet, that you're feeling low is a really big step. I know it's very easy to just not do anything, or feel like your troubles aren't worth anyone's time, but they really really are.

It's definitely worth seeing your GP, especially if your symptoms are stopping you from doing things you would usually do, or if your sleep or appetite is affected. If you have a personal tutor or similar you could also try talking to them. It's understandable that you might not want to talk to friends or family (I hate worrying my parents and feel weird talking about that sort of thing with friends), but vocalising to someone really does help. Your university might have a counselling service that you can ask for an appointment from (at Leicester it's a simple internet form to fill in, I don't know about elsewhere), otherwise your GP may well be able to refer you somewhere.

Trust me when I say that you are not alone in feeling like this. If you want anyone to talk to/vent at then feel free to PM me, honestly. I can empathise a lot with what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Aww sorry to hear that. Disclaimer: I've never been depressed but I have had friends and relatives who are.
    You've finished finals so I know you'll know these already but:
    Are you not enjoying things you used to?
    Are you waking up early?
    Is your mood low?
    Private message me if you'd like. If you think it's serious you should see your GP - it's not going to stop you working, but you need to show maturity by seeking help if you need it.
    Thank you for your reply
    I've finished finals - but don't know the outcome yet..we get our results later this week

My mood is definitely low.

In terms of not enjoying things - I just don't feel like I look forward to things at all. I'm dreading my elective and just do not feel motivated. I thought the feeling would shift after finals but it hasn't. When I think back, even when I joined medical school - I never joined any clubs or socs (which is sad I know). Before med school, I used to be involved in musicals at school and used to play in the orchestra - but I just stopped bothering with it once I came to uni despite having lots of opportunities..I blamed it on the workload, but I think I just couldn't be bothered

I've been with my BF for over 3 years now - hes wonderful and is my first BF. Over the past few months, I've just completely lost interest in sex, which has never been the case before. Sorry to be graphic - but it started with just not being interested in oral sex anymore and now we haven't had sex in ages. I feel really guilty about it all. We were talking about it after exams and I said, ' I don't know why I just never feel like having sex..its been a gradual thing' and kind of jokily said ' maybe I'm depressed' and my BF just said..'you are DEFO not depressed.' I know he feels frustrated by it all, but at the same time he is being understanding that I just don't want to - but I don't know how long he can put up with that for... I'm worried about out week holiday away as well

I'm eating ok

Sleep varies..Last year and some of this year, I would wake up early and just feel very worried and anxious, and sometimes it would take me time just to nod off again. With final year being so short and exams etc, I used to try and wake up early but sometimes I just couldn't..recently I've been sleeping alot (dunno if thats just post exams though) but sometimes I just have so little motivation to get up

I feel reluctant to see my GP about it..I've felt like this for a while, and whenever I've been to my GP about other things - I always manage to sound so cheerful and upbeat, and don't feel I am able to say how I feel..
    Also I'll be going away in a couple of weeks and won't be back to the area where my GP is until then...

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylophonefairy)
    This might sound a bit cliched but admitting to anyone, even if it is the internet, that you're feeling low is a really big step. I know it's very easy to just not do anything, or feel like your troubles aren't worth anyone's time, but they really really are.

It's definitely worth seeing your GP, especially if your symptoms are stopping you from doing things you would usually do, or if your sleep or appetite is affected. If you have a personal tutor or similar you could also try talking to them. It's understandable that you might not want to talk to friends or family (I hate worrying my parents and feel weird talking about that sort of thing with friends), but vocalising to someone really does help. Your university might have a counselling service that you can ask for an appointment from (at Leicester it's a simple internet form to fill in, I don't know about elsewhere), otherwise your GP may well be able to refer you somewhere.

Trust me when I say that you are not alone in feeling like this. If you want anyone to talk to/vent at then feel free to PM me, honestly. I can empathise a lot with what you're saying.

Thankyou xylophonefairy

I know its abit silly to be saying this all on the internet, but I just feel I can do anything else, not yet anyway..

I definetely don't feel I can talk to people I know about this, such as my family/friends/BF..I don't want to burden them, but also I don't want them to see me in a different way

I do have a personal tutor, and we do have a counselling service at our university. I think the counselling service may be a better idea for the minute. However, the problem is that I'm not near my university at the moment (I'm back home) and then I will be going on elective in May and then a one week holiday after. So won't be back until mid-end June... so don't feel I'll have any time

Xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia19)
    Thankyou xylophonefairy

I know its abit silly to be saying this all on the internet, but I just feel I can do anything else, not yet anyway..

I definetely don't feel I can talk to people I know about this, such as my family/friends/BF..I don't want to burden them, but also I don't want them to see me in a different way

I do have a personal tutor, and we do have a counselling service at our university. I think the counselling service may be a better idea for the minute. However, the problem is that I'm not near my university at the moment (I'm back home) and then I will be going on elective in May and then a one week holiday after. So won't be back until mid-end June... so don't feel I'll have any time

Xxxxx
    Sorry to hear you're feeling down. You're definitely not alone, I can't remember the statistics but depression is really common in medical students, and I can imagine it's particularly common at your stage where you're about to go through a lot of life changes with going away and then leaving uni to start work etc, so it's understandable to be feeling a bit anxious about things.

Given that you're in a tricky situation with trying to access GPs and counselling, what about online resources? From a quick look there seem to be quite a lot of free CBT-based things either online or via a phone app - there's some links here. It would mean you wouldn't have to deal with talking to other people at this stage, but could still be proactive about getting some help. I'd recommend Beating The Blues but it seems that without a GP 'prescription' for the program it's stupidly expensive, but I did it a few years ago and can recommend computer based CBT in general from that, I found it really useful. And then when you're back from elective and holidays I'd agree with the others who've suggested speaking to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, congrats for finishing your finals. Wish you all the best!

Have you always felt low after exams?

I think you should inactivate facebook until you feel you're ready. I hope the tides will turn for you as you move on to your elective/bf and f1 job. You should speak to your GP about this to see what s/he thinks and try and keep a positive mind. I watch youtube pranks to keep myself happy when I feel low!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.