Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I have an old computer I was messing around with. I took out the CPU and placed another one inside. Then I booted up and everything was fine, however the computer froze, so I turned it off and looked at the new CPU and it had a missing pin so I threw that out. I put back the new CPU but now the computer will not even beep when it boots up, no video nothing.

I've ordered some new thermal paste as I suspect it might be that, but here's what I've tried so far:

I've taken apart everything except the motherboard and CPU. I tried turning it on to see if I would get any memory beeps, but nothing at all. I then added the RAM one by one and nothing at all. Added harddrives also, and nothing. So I suspect it's rather the motherboard of the CPU which may have accidently got damaged.

I've noticed if I have the keyboard plugged in then the keyboard does light up, but again there are no beeps. All the fans are spinning and I've checked 4 times that everything is plugged in correctly.

do I need a new CPU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thorn0123)
    Well I have an old computer I was messing around with. I took out the CPU and placed another one inside. Then I booted up and everything was fine, however the computer froze, so I turned it off and looked at the new CPU and it had a missing pin so I threw that out. I put back the new CPU but now the computer will not even beep when it boots up, no video nothing.

I've ordered some new thermal paste as I suspect it might be that, but here's what I've tried so far:

I've taken apart everything except the motherboard and CPU. I tried turning it on to see if I would get any memory beeps, but nothing at all. I then added the RAM one by one and nothing at all. Added harddrives also, and nothing. So I suspect it's rather the motherboard of the CPU which may have accidently got damaged.

I've noticed if I have the keyboard plugged in then the keyboard does light up, but again there are no beeps. All the fans are spinning and I've checked 4 times that everything is plugged in correctly.

do I need a new CPU?
    Did you check that the other cpu is even compatible with the motherboard?
    Secondly, did you put the cpu in the right way, usually has a arrow in the corner of the cpu and the cpu socket to align with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Did you check that the other cpu is even compatible with the motherboard?
    Secondly, did you put the cpu in the right way, usually has a arrow in the corner of the cpu and the cpu socket to align with.
    yes it was compatible

and yes it's in the right way

ReputationRep:
    yes it was compatible

and yes it's in the right way
    Have you retried that same cpu again?

Also it could be loose wiring or the likes.

ReputationRep:
    Have you retried that same cpu again?

Also it could be loose wiring or the likes.
    I tried on onto another computer and no beeps on that either. I have no other CPU's to test to see if it's the motherboard. I'm 100% sure there is no loose wires.

ReputationRep:
    I tried on onto another computer and no beeps on that either. I have no other CPU's to test to see if it's the motherboard. I'm 100% sure there is no loose wires.
    Definitely have a check that the psu wires are in properly, and any other wires. In particular the bottom right corner of the mobo where the case power button is connected to.
    Also check that the cooler has been put in properly...................

ReputationRep:
    Definitely have a check that the psu wires are in properly, and any other wires. In particular the bottom right corner of the mobo where the case power button is connected to.
    Also check that the cooler has been put in properly...................
    just checked again

everything is in.

ReputationRep:
    just checked again

everything is in.
    Does the cpu work in the original computer it comes from

ReputationRep:
    Does the cpu work in the original computer it comes from
    just to clear things up:

I have two computers with two CPUs, I tried to switch one of the CPU's from one computer to another but the pin broke, so I threw that CPU away. I then replaced the computer with the original CPU and now that computer will not start/beep. I've tried that CPU on both computers (they both support the CPU) and none of the computers will boot will beeping. I have no other CPU to try to see if the CPU is truly the problem.

ReputationRep:
    just to clear things up:

I have two computers with two CPUs, I tried to switch one of the CPU's from one computer to another but the pin broke, so I threw that CPU away. I then replaced the computer with the original CPU and now that computer will not start/beep. I've tried that CPU on both computers (they both support the CPU) and none of the computers will boot will beeping. I have no other CPU to try to see if the CPU is truly the problem.
    Thats what I was referring, so it seems like neither cpu's working
    Have a look closer to the socket, or the bottom of the cpu's, check for any parts of the pins stuck in the socket or any pins bent on the cpu's.
    Also advise you to check the psu if it works, theres a trick to turn it on with the mobo and have a check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4askospjx0E

ReputationRep:
    just to clear things up:

Is the pin that broke off stuck in the socket?

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I was referring, so it seems like neither cpu's working
    Have a look closer to the socket, or the bottom of the cpu's, check for any parts of the pins stuck in the socket or any pins bent on the cpu's.
    Also advise you to check the psu if it works, theres a trick to turn it on with the mobo and have a check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4askospjx0E
    (Original post by TRENDY_TURBAN)
    Is the pin that broke off stuck in the socket?

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it.
    Just checked the PSU and it seems to be fine.

I also checked for anything stuck in the socket, but nothing is there and the CPU just drops right into it without any pressure. The pin from the old CPU fell off outside the socket (it was bent and I was trying to straighten it).

ReputationRep:
    Just checked the PSU and it seems to be fine.

I also checked for anything stuck in the socket, but nothing is there and the CPU just drops right into it without any pressure. The pin from the old CPU fell off outside the socket (it was bent and I was trying to straighten it).
    So the PSU fan spins?

Well I'm not sure, it could either be the cpus or the motherboards.....i'm leaning towards the motherboards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.