Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post-2000s Draft; Round 1 - DH1' vs Multitalented me Watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you think would win?
    DH1''s team
    63.64%
    Multitalented me's team
    36.36%

Hello, welcome to the Post-2000s Draft Game. This is the third Draft Game organized on TSR (to my knowledge, anyway) but for anyone who wasn't around last time or doesn't know how things work: basically, sixteen members have spent the last couple of weeks picking players to make a team (you can see how they did it in this thread), and they are now ready to go head-to-head against each other to win your vote - which do you think is the better team? The voter has both the squad-sheet and the tactics to consider!

The key rule for this edition of the game is that players have to have made their debuts in or after 2000, and they have to have spent most of their careers in one of the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga (apart from one wild-card pick).

Additionally, voters are requested to please justify the votes you cast: an explanation of why you voted for the team you did would be much appreciated and would add to the game and the forum as a whole.

The poll closes in two days.

First Round Game

DH1' vs Multitalented me

DH1's team and tactics

Bios:
    Federico Marchetti - Another in the long line of fine goalkeepers to have played in Serie A. Marchetti has been a great acquisition between the sticks for Lazio. He's helped guide them to consecutive Europa league positions (5th and 4th) and is arguably in the form of his career this season, helping Lazio achieve a current 5th place in the league, knockout stages of the Europa league and also a place in the Coppa Italia final. Capable of pulling off some sublime saves (See this in the Coppa Italia semi final to deny Vidal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZut1HQm-pM ). Marchetti has great reflexes, can command his defence and is known for his reliability.

Zabaleta - You could say he's the ultimate utility player for his ability to play across the back 4, and also in defensive midfield but that would be doing Zabaleta a disservice. He's definitely much more than that. A reliable full back, who almost never makes costly errors in games. Zabaleta always looks comfortable and has shackled some of the best wingers in the premier league, whether it be at LB or his usual position at RB. In my team he'll be at left back, but i'd trust him to perform admirably there even though he's predominantly been used at RB for Man City in the last couple seasons. He likes to stick tight to his man, and can keep the fastest and also the more skillful/creative wingers with more guile quiet. His best quality is his consistency. Wherever he's played, he almost never has a bad game, he's also a leader on the pitch and that's why he's recently been given the role of Vice captain at Manchester City. Zabaleta doesn't just defend, he can be seen bombing up and down the touchline too and has improved his goal/assists tally this season as a result. Zabaleta has won the Premier league title, FA Cup, Copa del Rey(with Espanyol) and also has 24 International caps for Argentina.

Pepe - One of the best CB's in the world. Pepe is quick, can cut off almost anything, aerially dominant and has great power in one on one situations. Aside from being prone to moments of rashness and lashing out, he's pretty much as faultless a CB as they come. Pepe has great mobility on the ground and is a very good threat in the opposition penalty box too. He's also a very clever defender, and was one of the stars of Euro 2012 for Portugal, helping them reach the semi finals before being knocked out by the eventual champions. He was voted in the team of the tournament(2008 & 2012) for his dominant displays throughout. Pepe also loves the big occasions and has been used to great effect by Mourinho in previous ties with Barcelona, whether it be in defensive midfield, or when performing a man marking role at CB. Pepe has won 2 La Liga titles, and a Copa del Rey at Real Madrid.

Alex - Brazilian CB who can strike a mean long range free kick. Alex is another powerful CB like Pepe, but with less pace. However he more than makes up for it with his strength and ability in the tackle. In his debut season with Chelsea, Alex made more appearances than both Terry and Carvalho which is a big statement in itself. Alex has won league titles everywhere he's gone to, and is soon to win another with PSG. Alex was also part of the Brazil defence which kept Messi, Tevez and co quiet in the 2007 Copa America final.

Piszczek - 1st choice RB for Poland and Borussia Dortmund. Piszczek's solid defensive game and excellent attacking ability has made him an integral cog of the impressive Borussia dortmund team that has won the German title 2 years in a row.

Busquets - Not alot needs to be said about this guy. Probably the best non-attacking footballer in the world. Busquets is a fantastic passer, has excellent positioning sense and is probably the best interceptor in Europe. Busquets has been vital to Barcelona and Spain's successes in the last few years. He's the man who breaks down all the opposition attacks and is also the one usually seen starting his teams attacks from deep in midfield. Often goes unnoticed because of all the other stars around him but he's as important to the team as any of them, if not more. By the age of just 23 Busquets had three La Liga titles, two Copa del Reys, two UEFA Champions League titles, a European Championship and a World Cup winners medal to his name. He looks almost certain to add another league title and perhaps another CL trophy to his ever growing collection of trophies this season. In my team Busquets will be key for cutting off passing lanes for opponents and his sharp anticipation skills will be of massive use when intercepting opposition passes and then quickly distributing the ball to a player in a better position. Busquets is the perfect defensive midfielder.

Schweinsteiger - Like with Busquets, Schweinsteiger has excellent passing ability and is also a great tackler. However unlike Busquets, Schweinsteiger has a great attacking game too. He's the perfect box to box midfielder. Schweinsteiger's greatest quality is his ability to dictate the tempo and flow of matches. Schweinsteiger's long range shooting is also one of his strengths. He's an excellent dribbler, accurate passer, great tackler and has a great motor. He doesn't have many flaws at all. Jupp Heynckes on Schweinsteiger:

"He thinks about attack and defence at the same time, and is a key reason that we concede so few goals.

"That's one fabulous player, and in my view Bastian shares with Busquets the status of the world's best midfielder."

Schweinsteiger's honours read as; Bundesliga titles (2003, 05, 06, 08, 10, 13), German Cups (03, 05, 06, 08, 10), German League Cups (04, 07) & Supercups (10, 12). Schweinsteiger also has a staggering 98 caps for Germany, scoring 23 goals in the process.

Marco Reus - An excellent attacker, who's recently started to become world renowned for his ability. Reus has recently cemented his place in the German national team, with 15 caps and 7 goals to his name. Reus has great speed, drive, technique and is very direct on the ball. Scores goals at a fantastic rate, and is also known for his ability from dead ball situations.When losing possession, Reus, much like the Barcelona attackers is great at pressing and winning the ball back too. Reus can play in any of the 4 attacking positions and doesn't look out of place doing so either.

Isco - Isco is another in the long line of playmakers to have come through the Spain conveyer belt in the last few years. Isco is still relatively young at 20 years old, and is by no means the finished article. However his progress in the last 2 years has been rapid. Isco has more than adequately filled the hole left by Malaga's sale of Santi Cazorla and is now a key weapon in Malaga's armoury. He starts pretty much every game. Isco is predominantly a central attacking midfielder but can also play in either of the wide positions. Isco has a great eye for goal and can unlock defences with the most precise of passes, both qualities have been on show in this year's Champions league. Isco has a great first touch and plays a fast tempo attacking game. Isco is small in stature but doesn't go down too easily. Isco will be one of the creative fulcrums of my team, playing in a central attacking role.

El Shaarawy - His main position is upfront in the central striker role, but with the arrival of Balotelli, El Shaarawy has shown that he can also thrive as a left wing forward. He scores plenty of goals, with his best assets being his excellent finishing and also his direct dribbles. El Shaarawy has a great first touch and likes to cut inside. His long range shooting is also great. He has a low centre of gravity and his great ball control has led to comparisons with Messi and Neymar, by AC Milan legend Jose Altafini.

Neymar - Neymar is the hottest talent in Brazil right now, and arguably in the world. His goalscoring exploits for Santos in the last few seasons have led to comparisons to Pele by many pundits and journos alike. Neymar averages a goal every other game for his club and has scored 19 goals in 31 appearances for the Brazil national team. Neymar has a wide range of skills and tricks in his portfolio. Neymar has electrice pace and dribbling ability. His finishing is almost always clinical and he has good playmaking abilities. Neymar is another player that is comfortable in either of the 4 attacking positions.

Soldado - Roberto Soldado plays as a striker for Valencia. He's scored over 50 goals for Valencia at a rate of more than a goal every 2 games. He also has an International hattrick to his name for Spain against Venezuela. Soldado isn't as technically gifted as your usual Spanish footballer but as a striker, he has a predatory instinct for scoring goals, and chips in with a different variety of goals too.

Tactics:

When building my draft team, i wanted to start off with a solid score, hence me choosing 2 central midfielders rather than the attacking players in the first couple rounds. I feel this gives me a solid foundation, and makes my team more well rounded. It accounts for the flaws/weaknesses i have in other areas of my team, particlarly as Busquets and Schweinsteiger are 2 of the best midfielders in world football.

For my match against Multitalented Me, i've decided i will leave Soldado on the bench and play Neymar as part of a fluid front 3. My formation will be 4-2-1-3, with Isco just behind El Shaarawy and Reus(RWF) and Neymar(LWF) in the wide forward roles. This is because i want my forwards to be full of pace and dangerous on the counter attack. I want to exploit the lack of pace in the central areas of my opponents team, particularly targeting Samba as i feel he is better when playing against a target man as opposed to nippy, creative attackers. Busquets and Schweinsteiger will be protecting my back 4, with Schweinsteiger having the energy to join up with the attacks and also run back to help Busquets and the defence when my team is under threat.

Schweinsteiger's runs from deep will be an important factor in my play and i will get him to try and bomb forward unmarked, and take plenty of shots from long distance. I see their main danger man as being Mata, but in Busquets i feel i have the perfect midfielder to stop Mata's passes and runs forward. Pepe and Alex will relish the aerial battle with Dzeko.

I know that my 4-2-1-3 formation means Busquets and Schweinsteiger will need to do alot of work, but i feel they are more than up to the task. This formation allows me to overload in the attacking areas of the pitch and hence i feel their midfielders will have a tough job trying to mark or negate a single threat in my side, as i'll be attacking from different angles.

I also feel that with Piszczek and Reus on the right, i have a very dynmatic and attacking duo who will provide boundless energy, and help to pin the opposition fullback back, to negate his threat somewhat.

Multitalented me's team and tactics

Team

Tactics:

Spoiler:
    Show

Tim Krul is an excellent shotstopper and fairly comfortable in the air so not much will go through him on top form. Just think back to last season and you’ll know how good he is.

Samba & Papadopoulos are both quality defenders, with fantastic anticipation, strength, and aerial ability. Samba was an absolute rock at Blackburn and anyone who watches the Bundesliga knows that Papadopoulos is one of the best young CBs around. I believe not much will go through them and I believe they will have enough to handle the likes of the Neymar/El Shaarawy/Soldado.
    Both my fullbacks will have licence to get forward and provide overlapping options but they will do their fair share of defending as well. Sagna is arguably the best PL right back in top form so it’ll be tough for the likes of Reus to get past him and also Marcelo. Both are world class at their best.

I believe my central midfield pairing of Essien and Gundogan will have enough to cope with the DH1’s likely partnership of Schweinsteiger and Busquets. Mata will come deeper and help out if needs must. Gundogan is one of the best young CMs out there at the moment and we all know how beastly Essien was in his prime. Most of the time Gundogan will sit deeper to allow Essien to go on his powerful runs upfield from time to time but occasionally they will switch positions with Essien playing the deeper role.

I feel that I have fantastic wingers with the skillful and tricky Pedro and Valbuena. They will support my attackers & will have my fullbacks overlapping them to provide an extra option or to draw out DH1’s defenders. Pedro is one of the most underrated players about at the moment and has I feel he will be a real handful to DH1’s defence along with Valbuena who anyone who watches Ligue 1 will know; both can create something out of nothing with their silky feet and movement.

Mata will play in the hole just behind Dzeko and be the main creative force in my team. He will have good support from the likes of Pedro and Valbuena and my fullbacks bombing up the field providing an overlapping option with one of Essien/Gundogan. Dzeko is a quality striker, renowned as a super-sub for most of his time at Man City for his spectacular impact made from the bench, but in reality he’s a class act. The fact that in the 08/09 & 09/10 seasons he scored a combined total of 48 goals in the Bundesliga just backs this up really, a deadly finisher at his best.

Overall I feel my team is more than a match for him and have a particular advantage in the goalkeeper & fullback positions, where Zabaleta & Pizczeck aren’t great in comparison so I think the likes of Pedro/Valbuena/Sagna/Marcelo can really get at them. Also I’d have Krul over Marchetti as well. I also believe my team will be dangerous on the break with the likes of Essien, Pedro, Valbuena and Mata all capable of countering quickly when possession is regained which is another strength of my team.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of tactics, I'd be worried if Busquets was marking Mata given how deep he likes to drop in order to pick up the ball. However, I think DH1 is right in only asking him to stop his forward runs. Mata's passing from deep isn't as strong as it is when he's further forward so this seems sensible.

The one thing about DH1's team that worries me is the relative inexperience of the front 4. But I love their dynamism and fluidity. I think that'll make them hard to pick up. I can't see Isco doing a lot, if any, work coming back. The inexperience of the front 4 really does leave a lot for Busquets and Schweinsteiger to do (as DH1 points out). It will often be Mata, Gundogan and Essien in the centre, leaving 3 vs. 2. Leaving Mata when he drops deep seems even more important, then, given following him deeper would leave him in trouble.

However, I really do see DH1 scoring a couple of goals. I don't rate Samba at all, and feel Multitalented me would struggle with DH1's dynamic front 4. Likewise, Papadopoulos is strong and could control a static, larger forward. But combined with Samba I feel they'd struggle even more to control the forwards.

Multitalented me will get a bit of success with Pedro and Valbuena, because of the lack of cover DH1 will get from his attackers. Busquets and Schweinsteiger have enough to deal with from Multitalented's midfield 3, so they can't get pulled out wide. I really do rate DH1's fullbacks despite Multitalented not being a fan of them, but they will be in trouble here.

Likewise, because of DH1's front 4, Multitalented will struggle with no proper DM. The weak centrebacks and fullbacks will have to deal with a lot of sideways movement, and will rely on a little help from the wingers and Essien. I feel that Essien will need to help out a lot given DH1 will be playing on the ground and Schweinsteiger will be bombing forward, and this will help DH1 centrally.

Overall, I can see quite a few goals here. Although Multitalented wants Mata to be the main creative player, I feel he'll be needed a bit deeper. I feel his creativity will be stifled and I still don't rate Dzeko's finishing despite his 'supersub' reputation. I'd predict a 2-1 DH1 win.

ReputationRep:
    In general I think DH1's attack would be better with more of a focal point, it's a risky system that could come with massive rewards but there's a lot of inexperience there.

However, in this particular match that fluid system is perfect to get at Multitalented's CBs, who aren't very mobile. Pepe and Alex are also very physical but in that case it's a good matchup against Dzeko.

DH1 I think.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have to say I agree with the guys above. Multitalented's CBs would have a hard time dealing with those attackers, I think with better defenders I could see Multitalented taking this one as I think that Mata when attacking is a brilliant player, but I think that he will be drawn back due to the lack of defensive quality; sorry but it has to be DH1'!

ReputationRep:
    Have to go for DH1' here. His front four is extremely fluid, and while MM had Essien in midfield, not even he will be able to outplay Busquets and Schweinsteiger. DH1' has built himself a very attractive team.

ReputationRep:
    MM's front four is the strongest part of his team, and is stronger i'd say than DH1's front four, but DH1 has the perfect midfield to cut-off that attack and dictate the play. It's very strong. And with his own attack seeing plenty of the ball you'd fancy them to put some of the chances away, especially as MM's centre-defense is probably one of the weaker areas of his team.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't get to vote but I would have gone for DH1 for reasons that people have already stated. That central midfield is probably the strongest in the competition.

ReputationRep:
    Fair played DH1' :yy: deserved the win :shakehand:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Fair played DH1' :yy: deserved the win :shakehand:
    Thank you sir. You had a good team. I was worried my front 4 were too inexperienced, and your Mata and co. were superior imo. Good match :yy:

Do i post here about the player swap? If so i'll take Soldado out for Mata please. Both count as Valencia players.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations dh1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Congratulations dh1
    Cheers Flash

How's your tie going? Are both of you ready to start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Thank you sir. You had a good team. I was worried my front 4 were too inexperienced, and your Mata and co. were superior imo. Good match :yy:
    I think the fact that your strikers matched up better against by defenders won it tbh. Also the fact that you had a specialist defensive midfielder while I just had 2 players that have played there before helped as well I'm glad that I at least didn't get thrashed :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    Cheers Flash

How's your tie going? Are both of you ready to start?
    I'm almost ready but i think my bios are a bit too long...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I'm almost ready but i think my bios are a bit too long...
    Aahahah dude don't worry, I took up four pages on word with mine (admittedly with lots of spaces and some code to make it look cool, but still )

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.