Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,does anyone know if you have to buy your own tv licence when you are in halls? Also, are you allowed a mini fridge in your own room, I would like one to keep milk in one for those midnight cereal snacks. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    You only need a TV licence if you're going to be watching live television - If it's on iPlayer or 4OD or whatever (that is to say, you're watching a non-live recording) then you do not need a TV licence. I never bought one and just played stuff an hour later online.

It is unlikely that halls will provide your licence. You'll have to check the details for your halls, but you'll probably have to buy it yourself.

Most halls are against students keeping electrical items such as those in the rooms. Again, it's down to the specific policy for the building. You'll be better off reading the terms and conditions for the particular halls you're going for.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll check the details for the Halls once they are confirmed. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Hey guys,does anyone know if you have to buy your own tv licence when you are in halls? Also, are you allowed a mini fridge in your own room, I would like one to keep milk in one for those midnight cereal snacks. Cheers
    Seriously a mini fridge? the kitchen is super close mine was like 6 steps away from my bed. If you really feel you need one then just make sure it is unplugged when room inspection happens ( you get 24h notice)

with the tv licence if you are watching tv off a laptop which is not plugged in then you are covered by your home address one ( as its classed as a portable tv) however if your laptop is plugged in or its a tv yes you need one. However no one I know had a tv in first year

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.