Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm having some weird issues with my border collie puppy. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So today my mum and dad decided to get a border collie puppy. Went to get one from a farmer. Brought it home, and I can't cope.

I've never babysat a child let alone looked after an animal. Infact i can't recall the last time being around a child. All of a sudden there is this massive amount of responsibility on me and I'm reacting like I have post natal depression or something crazy. It looks at me with puppy dog eyes and its missing its mum, crying, and won't stop trying to play with me and I honestly can't deal with it,it hurts my heart so much I'm starting to hate the thing, my parents can't understand what the hell is going through my head, and I can't either, who wouldn't love a puppy? I just don't want it :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    A puppy wanting to play with you is a major problem? This may be the first time in the entire history of the world that 'first world problems' is a reasonable response. Play with the damn puppy and get over yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    So today my mum and dad decided to get a border collie puppy. Went to get one from a farmer. Brought it home, and I can't cope.

I've never babysat a child let alone looked after an animal. Infact i can't recall the last time being around a child. All of a sudden there is this massive amount of responsibility on me and I'm reacting like I have post natal depression or something crazy. It looks at me with puppy dog eyes and its missing its mum, crying, and won't stop trying to play with me and I honestly can't deal with it,it hurts my heart so much I'm starting to hate the thing, my parents can't understand what the hell is going through my head, and I can't either, who wouldn't love a puppy? I just don't want it :bawling:
    Getting a puppy is a bigger deal than most people think it is. Have your parents ever had dogs before? My mum had dogs as a child but only recently now, in her married life, bought a puppy. She said the first few months were more difficult than looking after us as new born babies. They are a big responsibility - if you don't get things right in those first few weeks and months, such as toilet training, then they never really will be and they really take a lot of time and energy.

BUT whilst all that sounded quite negative I can honestly tell you that once you're through the puppy stage, things get much better and easier because you have an actual 'dog'. You won't have to keep your eyes on it every minute of the day and all he'll want from you is food, water, walkies and a cuddle. They learn how to occupy themselves on their own - like chewing their toys or a bone. Has he had his jabs yet? Get him out walking to tire him out, or just play with him til he's tired. They don't really have much of an attention span but you can do your best. The crying also won't last very long.

Give him a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    Getting a puppy is a bigger deal than most people think it is. Have your parents ever had dogs before? My mum had dogs as a child but only recently now, in her married life, bought a puppy. She said the first few months were more difficult than looking after us as new born babies. They are a big responsibility - if you don't get things right in those first few weeks and months, such as toilet training, then they never really will be and they really take a lot of time and energy.

BUT whilst all that sounded quite negative I can honestly tell you that once you're through the puppy stage, things get much better and easier because you have an actual 'dog'. You won't have to keep your eyes on it every minute of the day and all he'll want from you is food, water, walkies and a cuddle. They learn how to occupy themselves on their own - like chewing their toys or a bone. Has he had his jabs yet? Get him out walking to tire him out, or just play with him til he's tired. They don't really have much of an attention span but you can do your best. The crying also won't last very long.

Give him a chance
    I feel a lot better today thanks I've been playing with him all day, been trying to make him associate toilet with outside, took him for a ride to get bedding and toys etc. He's FINALLY worn out and laid out panting like crazy. All he wants is food! He hasn't had his jabs yet, he gets his first ones on tues, second lot in 2 weeks time, luckily we have a big garden so hes just running around in that for now.

Here he is Name:  59718_10152744048230553_985486721_n.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  88.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    so cute!!
    a tip for if hes not sleeping well - make up a warm hot water bottle and cover it in a towel, so also apparently a ticking clock wrapped up with it supposed to help. it simulates sleeping with the mum. alternatively just leave it. dont go to it when it whines/barks in the night (otherwise itll learn that when it barks youll come and pet it). itll be fine very soon!

ReputationRep:
    He's cute!

Puppies will want your attention all the time - they are used to being with loads of other puppies!

If you want to ignore him from time to time he whimpers and cries - that's part of his learning process. Don't feel bad about it, he has to slowly learn to occupy himself.

ReputationRep:
    I feel a lot better today thanks I've been playing with him all day, been trying to make him associate toilet with outside, took him for a ride to get bedding and toys etc. He's FINALLY worn out and laid out panting like crazy. All he wants is food! He hasn't had his jabs yet, he gets his first ones on tues, second lot in 2 weeks time, luckily we have a big garden so hes just running around in that for now.

he's such a handsome dog! I too found our dogs a handful when they were puppies, it can be difficult to get used to if you've not gone through it before but you'll definitely get used to it soon and you'll begin to form a bond with him

ReputationRep:

Aww bless him :grin:

Just a note on the toileting - if he's indoors and he puts his nose to to the ground and starts sniffing - HE'S GONNA WEE. So chuck him outside quick. I think in the beginning, my mum put our pup in the back garden every hour. And once he's peed you gotta do the "oooh well done, you're so clever" big hugs and kisses spiel. Haha, I sound daft, but they really are just like babies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    Aww bless him :grin:

Just a note on the toileting - if he's indoors and he puts his nose to to the ground and starts sniffing - HE'S GONNA WEE. So chuck him outside quick. I think in the beginning, my mum put our pup in the back garden every hour. And once he's peed you gotta do the "oooh well done, you're so clever" big hugs and kisses spiel. Haha, I sound daft, but they really are just like babies
    We've been doing that too! WELL DONE CHARLIE! hahaha. Ooo I never knew that, thanks for telling me! Do you have any other useful tips?

ReputationRep:
    We've been doing that too! WELL DONE CHARLIE! hahaha. Ooo I never knew that, thanks for telling me! Do you have any other useful tips?
    My mum read some of Cesar Millan's books when we first got out puppy. He's an expert dog trainer and he's written books and done some TV shows. They're really worth a read I think - he talks about things like behaviour and discipline and how the pup will want to behave in your family now you're his new pack - and how the pup needs to learn that everyone else in the household comes first. He explains you the basics in what you need to be doing really. For example, I never knew that dogs don't like eye contact as it makes them feel threatened.

I think books like that are more useful than the leaflets and booklets we got from the vet. Once you understand how and why a dog behaves as it does, things become a lot clearer. It's easy to fall into the trap of treating a puppy like a baby, but you'll only have to suffer the consequences later on. Although I tend to still treat mine like the big baby he is he loves nothing more than a snuggle.

ReputationRep:
    my little fella was teh same when i got him, he was very quiet but wouldnt leave me alone, curled up in my lap and went to sleep most of the time.

Now four and half months later - he is much better, still affectionatebut likes his own space as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.