Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone here make smoothies, advice...? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was on a high protein diet to try and gain muscle without much luck but looking so start again. Anyway, I tried to make banana milkshakes in the morning and I used a big blender just plugged in to mains. Chopped up bananas and put the milk in, tried this with 2 different blenders and turned it on highest setting for 1-2 mins. Anyhow, there were still loads of lumps of banana in the bottom of the blender. Is there any way to actually blend it completely so there are no lumps. Think my mum suggested a hand blender but would that actually work or anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    I was on a high protein diet to try and gain muscle without much luck but looking so start again. Anyway, I tried to make banana milkshakes in the morning and I used a big blender just plugged in to mains. Chopped up bananas and put the milk in, tried this with 2 different blenders and turned it on highest setting for 1-2 mins. Anyhow, there were still loads of lumps of banana in the bottom of the blender. Is there any way to actually blend it completely so there are no lumps. Think my mum suggested a hand blender but would that actually work or anything else?
    Hand blender is very good at making banana milkshakes, comes out quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Hand blender is very good at making banana milkshakes, comes out quite well.
    I basically want to make banana and maybe strawberry one as well with it, would hand blender get rid of the lumps, I already chop it into loads of bits the banana or do you need v expensive heavy duty equip do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I basically want to make banana and maybe strawberry one as well with it, would hand blender get rid of the lumps, I already chop it into loads of bits the banana or do you need v expensive heavy duty equip do you think?
    I have a Philips hand blender and handles fruit really well, doesn;t come out lumpy. Would love to to get a Bamix though, they are meant to be the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I have a Philips hand blender and handles fruit really well, doesn;t come out lumpy. Would love to to get a Bamix though, they are meant to be the best.
    do you know how much your one was and where you got it from? Is it better than the bigger ones?

ReputationRep:
    do you know how much your one was and where you got it from? Is it better than the bigger ones?
    Got it from Argos, special offer of £40, very similar to this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9048063.htm

Bamix are the best, but they are expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a hand blender as you can keep manoeuvring it to the lumpy 'spots'. Mine was about £6 in Asda!!
    I normally chuck in anything from banana, strawberries, kiwi, peach, pineapple, mango and papaya. I make a massive jug most nights and kids have a big glass in the mornings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julie1310)
    Definitely a hand blender as you can keep manoeuvring it to the lumpy 'spots'. Mine was about £6 in Asda!!
    I normally chuck in anything from banana, strawberries, kiwi, peach, pineapple, mango and papaya. I make a massive jug most nights and kids have a big glass in the mornings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And does that make it completely smooth without lumps? Do you just use it for a couple of minutes?

ReputationRep:
    Blend stuff together...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this sounds patronising, its not meant to, but you have a blender and not a food processor right? I only ask because my sister used to complain she couldn't get soup as smooth as mine and when I went to help she was using a food processor. I make smoothies in a jug blender and dont chop anything up, maybe snap the banana in half if its big, and it always comes out as smooth as silk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will's mum)
    Sorry if this sounds patronising, its not meant to, but you have a blender and not a food processor right? I only ask because my sister used to complain she couldn't get soup as smooth as mine and when I went to help she was using a food processor. I make smoothies in a jug blender and dont chop anything up, maybe snap the banana in half if its big, and it always comes out as smooth as silk!
    Hi yeah its a blender very similar to this, prob about 15-20 pounds

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/4261395.htm

Whats the different between a jug blender and this blender if any? I think I prob need a hand blender?

ReputationRep:
    That looks very similar to one I have had which made things super-smooth so I dont know why you end up with lumps....maybe your blade is just not very sharp? The only other thing that I can think of is the amount of milk, there needs to be enough to allow the smoothie to really whizz round, if its not liquid enough it moves kinda slowly. Cant think of any other reason - thats all I've got!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will's mum)
    That looks very similar to one I have had which made things super-smooth so I dont know why you end up with lumps....maybe your blade is just not very sharp? The only other thing that I can think of is the amount of milk, there needs to be enough to allow the smoothie to really whizz round, if its not liquid enough it moves kinda slowly. Cant think of any other reason - thats all I've got!

hhm, strange, maybe I put in too much milk, use about 1 pint with a banana. I think maybe I'll get a hand blender.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.