• View Poll Results: Sex before marriage
    Yes
    83.47%
    No
    16.53%

ReputationRep:
    Yes or no

ReputationRep:
    yes, what if you get married to someone who is rubbish in bed?

ReputationRep:
    For some yes for some no. For me, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srhc24)
    yes, what if you get married to someone who is rubbish in bed?
    that's life lol

ReputationRep:
    I think yes.
    I mean, if I'm going to make a commitment to someone for the rest of my life, I think knowing that we are sexually compatible and knowing each other in every way possible is vital. And I could only imagine my wedding night... For me it would have been awkward, because you can do all the research you like, but for some people the only thing that will combat sexual awkwardness is experience... I want sex on my wedding night to be enjoyable, and since me and my boyfriend (if we do get round to marriage) both know what the other likes and dislikes, so it will no longer be trial and error.
    Of course, I still think sex is an important thing, so I would say that sex out of a stable relationship is something I would never do.

But I understand that there are people that make a decision to wait, and I accept and appreciate that decision, and will not negatively comment on it. It is a very personal decision either way, and I think that telling someone that the decision they've made is wrong, is a very awful and insensitive thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Must be somewhat rare these days to not believe in sex before marriage. Not, that is, that it was rigorously maintained in the old days, mind. Just that the cover up, guilt and related rushed marriages were somewhat greater...

ReputationRep:
    Why would you wait? I mean, what's the point? It's just sex. Unless you're religious I can't see why anyone would choose to.

ReputationRep:
    Woops voted wrongly on the poll, yes sex before marriage my bad, not got any religious belief at all, just being blind in my voting :P

ReputationRep:
    Not if it makes you late to the reception

ReputationRep:
    Only if it does not hold up the ceremony

edit : a squeak too slow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deathberry)
    that's what a divorce is for lol

Is it really worth losing half of your money to marry someone and later divorce them cause they're crap in bed...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Only if it does not hold up the ceremony

edit : a squeak too slow
    Sorry

ReputationRep:
    It just depends on the people, some want to wait as a sign of love, knowing that they have married the person who will be their first. I'm not against sex before marriage (my girlfriend wants to wait til marriage though and I am 100% cool with that, no need to rush)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Christian but I actually think Joshua Harris makes some nice points.

Taylor: So how old are you?
    Josh: Twenty-three
    Taylor: Are you a virgin?
    Josh: I am a virgin. Virginal with a capital V.
    Taylor: Are you okay?
    Josh: I suppose you’re from the school of thought that says if you don’t have sex you blow up?
    Taylor: Yeah, it happened to my brother… all over the kitchen.
    Crystal: Oh, that’s disgusting! Ha ha…
    Taylor: So what’s going to happen when, let’s say, you get married and you get to the honeymoon suite and she’s lousy in bed?
    Josh: Well, I won’t have anything to compare it to.
    (Pause)
    Crystal: Now that is a good answer!
    Josh: I think part of our problem today is that we’ve reduced sex to some sort of sport. We need manuals and color-coded charts. Instead of being an expression of the intimacy and commitment of a husband and wife, it’s all about performing. I think that’s part of the reason there’s so much sexual dysfunction today — people are terrified that they won’t live up to Hollywood’s definition of the perfect lover.
    Taylor: Yeah, but what if she’s lousy in bed, I mean, she just does everything wrong?
    Josh: That won’t be why I marry her. Do you see the problem with what you’re saying? What happens if you marry someone because they’re great in bed but then one day they aren’t?
    Taylor: Cheat!
    Josh: Well, sadly, that’s what some people do.

Source:
    http://culturebeware.wordpress.com/2...relationships/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deathberry)
    that's what a divorce is for lol
    If you're religious enough to not have sex before marriage, i assume you're religous enough that you wont be divorcing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srhc24)
    Is it really worth losing half of your money to marry someone and later divorce them cause they're crap in bed...?
    you've got a point

(Original post by yougotserbed)
    i'm not a christian but i actually think joshua harris makes some nice points.

taylor: So how old are you?
    josh: Twenty-three
    taylor: Are you a virgin?
    josh: I am a virgin. Virginal with a capital v.
    taylor: Are you okay?
    josh: I suppose you’re from the school of thought that says if you don’t have sex you blow up?
    taylor: Yeah, it happened to my brother… all over the kitchen.
    crystal: Oh, that’s disgusting! Ha ha…
    taylor: So what’s going to happen when, let’s say, you get married and you get to the honeymoon suite and she’s lousy in bed?
    josh: Well, i won’t have anything to compare it to.
    (pause)
    crystal: Now that is a good answer!
    josh: I think part of our problem today is that we’ve reduced sex to some sort of sport. We need manuals and color-coded charts. Instead of being an expression of the intimacy and commitment of a husband and wife, it’s all about performing. I think that’s part of the reason there’s so much sexual dysfunction today — people are terrified that they won’t live up to hollywood’s definition of the perfect lover.
    taylor: Yeah, but what if she’s lousy in bed, i mean, she just does everything wrong?
    josh: That won’t be why i marry her. Do you see the problem with what you’re saying? What happens if you marry someone because they’re great in bed but then one day they aren’t?
    taylor: Cheat!
    josh: Well, sadly, that’s what some people do.

Source:

lol. That's pretty cool mayn.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by YouGotSerbed)
    I'm not a Christian but I actually think Joshua Harris makes some nice points.

Taylor: So how old are you?
    Josh: Twenty-three
    Taylor: Are you a virgin?
    Josh: I am a virgin. Virginal with a capital V.
    Taylor: Are you okay?
    Josh: I suppose you’re from the school of thought that says if you don’t have sex you blow up?
    Taylor: Yeah, it happened to my brother… all over the kitchen.
    Crystal: Oh, that’s disgusting! Ha ha…
    Taylor: So what’s going to happen when, let’s say, you get married and you get to the honeymoon suite and she’s lousy in bed?
    Josh: Well, I won’t have anything to compare it to.
    (Pause)
    Crystal: Now that is a good answer!
    Josh: I think part of our problem today is that we’ve reduced sex to some sort of sport. We need manuals and color-coded charts. Instead of being an expression of the intimacy and commitment of a husband and wife, it’s all about performing. I think that’s part of the reason there’s so much sexual dysfunction today — people are terrified that they won’t live up to Hollywood’s definition of the perfect lover.
    Taylor: Yeah, but what if she’s lousy in bed, I mean, she just does everything wrong?
    Josh: That won’t be why I marry her. Do you see the problem with what you’re saying? What happens if you marry someone because they’re great in bed but then one day they aren’t?
    Taylor: Cheat!
    Josh: Well, sadly, that’s what some people do.

Source:
    I think people over-thinking it is the bloody problem, Harris included. It's just sex. If it means a lot to you, great. If it doesn't, fine.
    Also, you can't really use the argument of what if someone stops being great in bed. Because you work on that as a couple to get back into your groove. But if someone just isn't sexually compatible, then it's not going to work.

Not saying this is your opinion. Just what I found wrong about his.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. My mum's a Catholic and even she was like "you have to see what's going on there"

ReputationRep:
    I am not a Muslimhater, but i live in een Hood with extremely much Muslims,, often u see there ( because they MUST marry ) Muslim couples who are really not happy with each other, because they never had the chance to search ( having sex with multiple partners ) for an ideal partner, so they are stuck in an mariage with a stranger....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.