Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm going to Uni in September and will be moving away. I currently have a job but need a new one as I need more hours to save for Uni.

Everyone always says you shouldn't mention Uni at interviews unless you're staying local and I know for a fact the company I'm with now didn't hire someone cos she was going to Uni in 6 months time and a friend was also told by a different retailer she wouldn't have been hired if they knew she was going to Uni.

So recently I've heard back from a job application and had a phone interview, job assessment and one to one interview. I thought that would probably be it but they've said of successful there will be another 2 interviews after!

I'm now wondering wether I should've mentioned Uni, they're putting so much time into this recruitment and although I'm not lying in what I'm saying... I'm not being 100% honest about future plans and I know if say I got the job it would have to come out in the future and the woman who interviewed me was so nice and seemed to want me to get the job and if I did get the job she would be my team/area leader! :s

What I'm wondering is, is it too late to tell them at the next interview about Uni? And if I did the likely hood of still being considered? Or should I just avoid mentioning it still and deal with it in August/September?

They're an extremely large retailer but don't have a store where I'm going to study for Uni so I wouldn't be able to transfer either

Any advice would be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well if they know your age etc, it's kind of expected that you're going to leave them and go to uni.. I don't think I'd mention it unless they bring it up with you!

ReputationRep:
    It would be a real shame to miss out on the job but on the other hand, credit to you for being aware that the company is spending time and money on recruiting you (and probably training you while you are on the job). Recruitment is a very expensive process for employers and times are tight. If they're recruiting you for a perceived permanent job rather than temporary job they will be really disappointed when you resign.

Have you thought about making contact with them to say that given your university plans you think it's only fair that you pull out of consideration for this particular role, but you really enjoyed meeting them and would still like to work for them, so if they have any temporary roles or seasonal roles you would love to be considered. You may still get a job out of them (perhaps even one that you can return to during holidays) but at least it will be one that is a good fit with your future plans.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine they will be aware of people around uni age, most likely going off to uni

But you dont actually owe anything to them, if they wanted to know they should have asked. If they are a large retailer i imagine they can afford it just fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.