Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Matt Smith's Doctor defeats every enemy by talking.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is really annoying. Almost every enemy is defeated in some psychological way in the Moffat era, where he uses talking or a passive method. In contrast to Davies's - Destroying the Daleks in a multitude of ways, destroying the slitheen which a missile, destroying the Krillitane's with K9 and his lazer, destroying the cybermen by blowing them up or destroying their leader, defeating the sycorax in a sword fight.. etc.

Anyone picked up on this?

The Doctor defeats the Cybermen by James Corden's love for his son, defeats the Ice Warrior by "negotiating", defeats that Sun thing by feeding it his memories, Defeats the Daleks through negotiation once, the rest of the time he doesn't defeat them ..

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely right. Either by talking or by love. It's not like the good old days any more...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he needs to blow more **** up.

ReputationRep:
    Probably didn't have enough money for special effects after the BBC cuts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    Probably didn't have enough money for special effects after the BBC cuts?
    They've got enough for Casualty's constant car crashes and fires, they also managed to spare enough for that blasted spaceship that was in tonights episode for about a minute.

ReputationRep:
    I want a character to be properly killed off, just to shake things up. Rory's 7 or so deaths hardly count :P it's boring when you never need to worry about people making it

ReputationRep:
    OMG THIS! I completely agree, watching someone being talked out of killing everyone is disappointing and boring...I miss badass-ery!

I've also found that it's much more story line based episodes rather than stand alone ones, and I prefer those...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings0)
    I want a character to be properly killed off, just to shake things up. Rory's 7 or so deaths hardly count :P it's boring when you never need to worry about people making it
    you cant kill off a companion every episode and they do kill people but they have like one line before they die so no1 even cares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    you cant kill off a companion every episode and they do kill people but they have like one line before they die so no1 even cares
    How about the Doctor having to sacrifice a little child (obviously a special one, possibly one of the one's Clara nannies for) to save the world from a sinister child eating monster prepared to eat all the worlds children. He could make the child the centre of a more permanent energy source to stop the child-eating monsters but of course the childs family would have to watch this child being killed. We need a good old greater good storyline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    How about the Doctor having to sacrifice a little child (obviously a special one, possibly one of the one's Clara nannies for) to save the world from a sinister child eating monster prepared to eat all the worlds children. He could make the child the centre of a more permanent energy source to stop the child-eating monsters but of course the childs family would have to watch this child being killed. We need a good old greater good storyline.
    Too emotional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    moffats not man enough to sacrifice no children, can you imagine the complaints rolling in to the bbc from butthurt parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Too emotional

How's it too emotional it's a TV show.

(Original post by Albino)
    moffats not man enough to sacrifice no children, can you imagine the complaints rolling in to the bbc from butthurt parents.
    The parents can choose not to let their children watch the episode.

ReputationRep:
    I miss the Doctor who from 2005-2010.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    I miss the Doctor who from 2005-2010.
    Same.

But if this theory is true, Moffat becomes amazing again.

http://who-lligan.tumblr.com/post/47...d-clara-theory

ReputationRep:
    I agree! I love Matt Smith's Doctor, but I'm so excited for David Tennant and Billie Piper to be reunited! Perhaps in that/those? episodes, there will be more badassery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siric)
    I agree! I love Matt Smith's Doctor, but I'm so excited for David Tennant and Billie Piper to be reunited! Perhaps in that/those? episodes, there will be more badassery.
    I agree. And hopefully Jack, Gwen and Martha too! Although I can't see Donna returning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miracle day)
    same.

But if this theory is true, moffat becomes amazing again.

http://who-lligan.tumblr.com/post/47...d-clara-theory

holy moley mind blown i can no longer breathe holy holy holy ****ake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    I agree. And hopefully Jack, Gwen and Martha too! Although I can't see Donna returning.
    I would probably be a ball of emotions if they were all to return. I don't expect Donna to return either, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siric)
    I would probably be a ball of emotions if they were all to return. I don't expect Donna to return either, however.
    I think it should have a proper in-show send off for Sarah Jane too.

ReputationRep:
    I never thought about it, I guess you have a point though. Then again, as I recall the Doctor is supposed to be a pacifist and some kind of genius, in which case him getting into direct combat might not exactly be fitting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.