Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I'm new to these forums, please be gentle ha ha! I'm looking for some advice on what I should do..
    4 years ago I lived in Ireland (where I'm originally from) I gained a place on a BEd primary education course at UWS in late August though phoning the university direct to enquire about spare places. I received a telephone interview over the phone within a matter of days and soon after received my acceptance. Within 2 weeks of applying I was moving from Ireland to Scotland (knowing nobody and having no job) I don't mean to drone on but these are all key to the story.
    straight away I thoroughly enjoyed the course and was doing well, however due to my EU status I was entitled to no student loans/grants/bursaries (also my parents were not in a position to help me either.
    i soon acquired a job and to cover my rent/food/necessities (with little left over) I began to work more and more hours whilst juggling my university work and placement. At the end of the year I failed HALF of a core module (IT skills) and despite retaking it another two times I failed it. (But passed everything else)
    i was told at re-enrolment that I would have to take a year out because of the fail, but the tutor told me that I should go away and think whether I really wanted to do this course.
    3 years later, I have worked my way up to management in my current job and have settled down and bought a home with my partner but I really want to go back to uni and study primary teaching again.
    i went to an open evening and spoke to (the same) tutor, when I explained my history and what had happened previously and my plans to apply this year her exact words to me were: "apply if you want....but don't get your hopes up"
    she said the uni will never reaccept me based on my previous study, I think this is unjust and unfair. I understand that the uni want to deter TIMEWASTERS etc but I am a 24 year old woman wishing to get a second chance at an education.
    So I put a ucas application in, and (surprise surprise) UWS rejected my application.
    am I wrong to feel that this isn't fair? What should I do? I really want to do this course, and I love the university too!!

a bit of advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for listening xxx

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go for it. You have nothing to lose if you don't get in but is it not better knowing you tried rather than regretting not applying? It sounds although the tutor dislikes you so I would consider applying to a different uni and see what they say. You shouldn't let anyone get in the way of your dream. You're young and there are still many routes into teaching - seek careers advice, maybe your route to teaching won't be as straightforward as you first thought

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your reply, I applied to 2 other unis for the same course however despite having a glowing referee and a personal statement which I spent a lot if time on I still was unsuccessful. I just don't understand why the university are so against second chances. I wonder would it be worth writing an email to admissions/ course leader pleading my case (could that sway them if I explained my history)
    I just feel dejected but I'm not going to let this setback put me off!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Never let it put you off! There is no way teaching will over be off the cards keep fighting and you'll find a way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lmcd1)
    Thanks so much for your reply, I applied to 2 other unis for the same course however despite having a glowing referee and a personal statement which I spent a lot if time on I still was unsuccessful. I just don't understand why the university are so against second chances. I wonder would it be worth writing an email to admissions/ course leader pleading my case (could that sway them if I explained my history)
    I just feel dejected but I'm not going to let this setback put me off!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Although I presume you only came here for advice then left again given two posts over several months; maybe one day you'll log back in and see this!

This case is unfortunate and to an extent unfair om yourself who clearly has a genuine passion to chase this.

My advice (speaking from experience of second chances) would be to go down the college route. Most colleges do 'Access' courses which are fast-track (sometimes pretty intense) courses to prepare adult students for university. These can be great and cover a lot of subjects... IT & Maths, Social Sciences (maybe your best route in to teaching), Nursing etc.

The other route of course would be to pursue an HND then apply for university... Remembering that the HND equates to year 2 of university and after completing it the majority of universities will enable you third year entry.

Not only with either of these routes offer less pressure; they will also show that you're committed to your 'second chance' and really want this!

Very best of luck, and I'm glad you've found your feet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.