Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's The Best/Most Expensive Phone Out Now/About To Come Out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What's the best or most expensive phone that is out now or about to come out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    What's the best or most expensive phone that is out now or about to come out?

Best? HTC One, Sony Xperia Z or Samsung Galaxy S4. Each has advantages over the other two.

Most expensive? Of "standard" smart phones, the Galaxy S4 will probably take that title. Vertu's offerings are substantially more expensive still though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Best? HTC One, Sony Xperia Z or Samsung Galaxy S4. Each has advantages over the other two.

Most expensive? Of "standard" smart phones, the Galaxy S4 will probably take that title. Vertu's offerings are substantially more expensive still though.
    I agree. I absolutely love the HTC One, hoping for it this year for my birthday!

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking to buy an expensive phone as a fashion statement then why not buy the gold encrusted Vertu TI.
    At only $9,600 this Android phone will hardly break the bank. It comes with state of the art outdated software and specs such as a dual core processor, low resolution screen and Android 4.0.
    But hey, what if you want to show off some cool features to your friends to prove you have more money then them! Well just press the speed dial button and you get connected to your very own personal assistant who will help you with anything you need.

So if you want to be a pretentious **** with a gold phone then the Vertu TI is for you!

Or just get a Galaxy S4/HTC One which is the best phone out now and is expensive (£500+)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    If you're looking to buy an expensive phone as a fashion statement then why not buy the gold encrusted Vertu TI.
    At only $9,600 this Android phone will hardly break the bank. It comes with state of the art outdated software and specs such as a dual core processor, low resolution screen and Android 4.0.
    But hey, what if you want to show off some cool features to your friends to prove you have more money then them! Well just press the speed dial button and you get connected to your very own personal assistant who will help you with anything you need.

So if you want to be a pretentious **** with a gold phone then the Vertu TI is for you!

Or just get a Galaxy S4/HTC One which is the best phone out now and is expensive (£500+)
    (Original post by Gofre)

Well, the Vertu certainly seems...interesting.

But yes, the Sony and Samsung ones look good and they're state of the art? But I'm surprised you guys never mentioned the iPhone 5 - is it overrated; not a high opinion of it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Do you mean regular phones? I imagine that jewel encrusted phones will be pretty expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reubenkinara)
    Do you mean regular phones? I imagine that jewel encrusted phones will be pretty expensive.
    Yeah, regular phones. No point in jewel encrusted phones unless to show off.

I'm talking about state-of-the art advanced tech - but it seems like a couple of the guys above agree on the current HTC/Samsung/Sony phones.

ReputationRep:
    iPhone 5 is pretty expensive at £529 handset only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    iPhone 5 is pretty expensive at £529 handset only.
    Is that because it's actually good or just because of the Apple brand? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    The latter.

I've got the HTC One and it's lovely.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Mikeyd. Compared to phones of today, the iPhone 5 should be worth just under £350. But Apple have decided to hold the value at £530.

ReputationRep:
    Brand. I picked mine up for £370 off gumtree, so I'm pretty happy with the price I paid.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Mikeyd. Compared to phones of today, the iPhone 5 should be worth just under £350. But Apple have decided to hold the value at £530.
    Yes it should if you are doing a direct comparison on USD to GBP without taking into account taxes and import duties, it is still over priced though.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the new keyboard equipped Blackberry Q10 will retail for a laughable £590, putting it above the S4 most likely :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    Yes it should if you are doing a direct comparison on USD to GBP without taking into account taxes and import duties, it is still over priced though.
    No, i'm talking UK prices here. You can pick up an S3 LTE for £430 which is superior in every way to the iPhone 5. The standard S3 is under £340 now. So no reason at all why the iPhone 5 should be more than the standard S3

(Original post by Gofre)
    Apparently the new keyboard equipped Blackberry Q10 will retail for a laughable £590, putting it above the S4 most likely :lolwut:
    You're kidding?

Well Blackberry better hope their business customers still support them.

ReputationRep:
    No, i'm talking UK prices here. You can pick up an S3 LTE for £430 which is superior in every way to the iPhone 5. The standard S3 is under £340 now. So no reason at all why the iPhone 5 should be more than the standard S3
    That is what you are basing it on? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    That is what you are basing it on? :lol:
    Not entirely. But thats just one example of why the iPhone is overpriced. The iPhone has it's own OS and ecosystem and is an exclusive product. But that's the only advantage it has over other phones. Doesn't mean it deserves to be £530 when you can get phones which do the same thing with better specifications and software for £200 less.

But Apple know that people will pay for the brand and that's why it's still £530.

If they dropped the price they'd sell many more, but they'd lose the premium/cult ideology that surrounds the iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    If they dropped the price they'd sell many more, but they'd lose the premium/cult ideology that surrounds the iPhone.
    You know how many they sell a quarter? they don't need to drop the price at all to sell more as they already sell a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    You know how many they sell a quarter? they don't need to drop the price at all to sell more as they already sell a lot.

Did you miss the bit where i clearly said-

But Apple know that people will pay for the brand and that's why it's still £530.
    Of course i know they sell millions. Although if latest reports are to be believed it looks like the Galaxy S3 is neck and neck with the iPhone 5 at the moment.

But that's not my point. The hardware and software inside the phone is not worth £530 today. Apple make the iPhone for around £130.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think i read an article once asserting that the Iphone costs Apple about £180.

It's simply premium pricing though, just think of all the idiots who think it's top quality.

Once Google finally make a great, comparable phone i imagine they will blow Apple and Samsung away with their pricing policy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.